U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-23-2008, 10:10 AM
 
Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A.
14,174 posts, read 22,496,291 times
Reputation: 10428

Advertisements

[quote=alexiana;4548673]You didn't read the post, did you? The problem with this logic is that the vast majority of Christians don't treat homosexuality like "any other sin" -- they blow it completely out of proportion and demonstrate more hatred toward gays than they do paedophiles or murderers. When was the last time you saw Christians picketing infront of prisons trying to stop convicted felons from marriage?

As far as I'm concerned, you can believe whatever you damn well please, but do yourself a favor and stop suggesting that homosexuality is a "sin". That's ridiculously ignorant and insulting; I proved that all sin is equal (your god didn't have a gradation in terms of sin severity...all sin is equal), so therefore, why not focus on yourself instead of pointing out what "sinners" others are.
The arrogance and ignorance of many Christians is astounding.[/

quote]

Excellent point. If you consider homosexuality a sin worthy of denying marriage, then let's start denying marriage to other sinners.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-23-2008, 10:48 AM
 
3,124 posts, read 4,089,182 times
Reputation: 1955
BTW, HIV/AIDS is predominately a heterosexual disease worldwide. Only in the West was homosexuality the majority infected population, but that's simply because it was a gay man who brought it over Our "immoral lifestyle" is to blame? Puh-lease! If prudish scared-of-their-own-bodies christians didn't opress and deride gay people for the last 1,000 years it wouldn't have caused them to hide themselves and be too scared to have an actual relationship with one person. Sooooo..really..Christianity helped spread HIV if you want to get on like that.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 10:55 AM
 
Location: (WNY)
5,384 posts, read 9,587,018 times
Reputation: 7646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
BTW, HIV/AIDS is predominately a heterosexual disease worldwide. Only in the West was homosexuality the majority infected population, but that's simply because it was a gay man who brought it over Our "immoral lifestyle" is to blame? Puh-lease! If prudish scared-of-their-own-bodies christians didn't opress and deride gay people for the last 1,000 years it wouldn't have caused them to hide themselves and be too scared to have an actual relationship with one person. Sooooo..really..Christianity helped spread HIV if you want to get on like that.
I don't understand how these threads always get turned into a Christian/Gay bashing thread... it is both sides in this thread bashing each other... both pots calling the kettle black... why doesn't everyone let up a bit and actually have a discussion instead of creating rediculous statements like Gays/Christians caused HIV... come on people.... in both cases if you are homosexual or heterosexual you are reflecting eachothers nasty image by acting this way... isn't that what is being discussed? hypocracy? Sounds like both are hypocritical.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 11:05 AM
 
3,124 posts, read 4,089,182 times
Reputation: 1955
I wasn't seriously stating that christians caused the spread of HIV/AIDS (I'm a christian, btw); I was pointing out that it's as ludicrous to blame it on gay people as it is on christians (or anyone else for that matter).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 11:21 AM
 
Location: in my house
1,385 posts, read 2,679,979 times
Reputation: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
I wasn't seriously stating that christians caused the spread of HIV/AIDS (I'm a christian, btw); I was pointing out that it's as ludicrous to blame it on gay people as it is on christians (or anyone else for that matter).
True. I've known people to say that they believe their god put AIDS on earth to punish gays; even though heteros are just as prone, as well as anyone who got a blood transfusion before 1985, and the babies born to women with the disease.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,070 posts, read 4,964,859 times
Reputation: 2479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Tell me, did you ever think that if people still embraced the Christians warped definition of morality, that millions of people around the world would still be alive today. It appears your idea of equal rights has led to millions of people dieing horrible deaths because of AIDS, and other such sickness. And it is not limited to those who die from their personal activities, it has left millions of children without mothers and fathers ect. Your kind of freedom is exactly why the Bible warned us to live moral lives. Your kind of freedom kills people. Yeah, we Christians and our warped morality. Why don't you tell some of those children who now have to fend for themselves, and no longer have a mother or a father to watch over them how terrible we Christians are. Some how if given the choice, I believe those children would wish their parents had embraced those warped Christian values. And I can tell you something else, many of those children are not being cared for by Christians who still believe in those warped values.

The millions of people in foreign countries, who are dying of AIDS and other such sicknesses are doing so because of a lack of education, not because of rejecting Christianity and its system of values and morality. In Africa, for example, where AIDS is very prevalent, in a lot of the villages the only education the villagers get about sex is from the Catholic missionaries in the area. The missionaries tell them not to use condoms though so AIDS gets spread around because the Africans are educated enough to know that contraception would help to prevent the spread of AIDS.
That kind of 'freedom' isn't what's killed millions of lives.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2008, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Netherlands
249 posts, read 485,495 times
Reputation: 69
Default Blind guides, who strain out the gnat but gulp down the camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Great post! I get so sick of Bible literalists claiming they don't "pick and choose", yet that's exactly what they do. I suppose it's the only way they can live with themselves and justify discrimination - convincing themselves that "god's on my side".
But is God on their side.. really.. ?

-

"There is a sound of uproar out of the city, A SOUND OUT OF THE TEMPLE! It is the sound of God repaying what is deserved to his ENEMIES." - Isaiah 6:66

-

Eeeekkk... and it's verse number.....666.........=:-0


So.. were the judgments of Jesus really against the corrupt.. and perverse practices of organized religion.. ?

If Jesus returned.. woulld he say the same things to existing organized religion..

as he did.. back then.. ?

Has anything changed.. ?

The blind leading the blind... (sigh).


What we need is a miracle.. !!!

----

"Hence they said to the blind man again: "What do you say about him, seeing that he opened your eyes?"

The man said: "He is a prophet."

And Jesus said: "For this judgment I came into this world: that those not seeing might see and those seeing might become blind." - John 9:13

-

"And those who are leading this people on prove to be the ones causing them to wander; and those of them who are being led on, the ones who are being confused." - Isaiah 9:16

“Blind guides, who strain out the gnat but gulp down the camel!”

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you give the tenth of the mint and the dill and the cumin, but you have disregarded the weightier matters of the Law, namely, justice and mercy and faithfulness. These things it was binding to do, yet not to disregard the other things.

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you cleanse the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of plunder and immoderateness. Blind Pharisee, cleanse first the inside of the cup and of the dish, that the outside of it also may become clean.

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! because you resemble whitewashed graves, which outwardly indeed appear beautiful but inside are full of dead men's bones and of every sort of uncleanness.

In that way you also, outwardly indeed, appear righteous to men, but inside you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness.” - Matthew 23:23

---

QUESTION

If Jesus taught cleanse the inside.. then why are the - unbelieving - christians acting as busybodies in other people's affairs.. and justifying it but saying.. "God wants us to clean up the world"

Isn't this lying.. ?

Is it hypocracy.. ?

I'm wondering.

-

-
Attached Thumbnails
Christian hypocracy in regards to homosexuality-blind.jpg  

Last edited by accelerator; 07-23-2008 at 06:05 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 11:56 PM
 
7,654 posts, read 9,673,656 times
Reputation: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
The millions of people in foreign countries, who are dying of AIDS and other such sicknesses are doing so because of a lack of education, not because of rejecting Christianity and its system of values and morality. In Africa, for example, where AIDS is very prevalent, in a lot of the villages the only education the villagers get about sex is from the Catholic missionaries in the area. The missionaries tell them not to use condoms though so AIDS gets spread around because the Africans are educated enough to know that contraception would help to prevent the spread of AIDS.
That kind of 'freedom' isn't what's killed millions of lives.
Before the missionaries told them not to use comdoms, they told them to live moral lives. So it appears they missed step 1 and then move to step 2 and got Aids. Before I got married, I did not have to worry about getting Aids, or any other sexual sickness. I did not have to worry because I did as the Bible commanded. My education came from believing the Scripture first. Aids is being spread because those in Africa have made the choice to ignore the Bibles warning, and they live lives that put them in harms way. Living a moral life is what is needed. If you believe that missionaries should just ignore the Bible, and reduce morals to a plumbing problem then that is your choice. Heaven and Hell is also a choice, and it appears this world will deal with that choice the same way they have dealed with Aids. Perhaps the missionaries should tell those in Africa, that they should where a condom and that will keep them out hell.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2008, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Richland, Washington
4,070 posts, read 4,964,859 times
Reputation: 2479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Before the missionaries told them not to use comdoms, they told them to live moral lives. So it appears they missed step 1 and then move to step 2 and got Aids. Before I got married, I did not have to worry about getting Aids, or any other sexual sickness. I did not have to worry because I did as the Bible commanded. My education came from believing the Scripture first. Aids is being spread because those in Africa have made the choice to ignore the Bibles warning, and they live lives that put them in harms way. Living a moral life is what is needed. If you believe that missionaries should just ignore the Bible, and reduce morals to a plumbing problem then that is your choice. Heaven and Hell is also a choice, and it appears this world will deal with that choice the same way they have dealed with Aids. Perhaps the missionaries should tell those in Africa, that they should where a condom and that will keep them out hell.
If Christians spent less time trying to 'save' people from fire and brimstone and have them believe that they will go to some fantasy paradise, then maybe they'll actually spend more time trying to solve the problems of the world. Christians waste to much time trying to convert people to follow their 'morals' and beliefs, when what they should be doing is actually trying to stop those people's suffering. It's just like those abstinence programs in public schools that the Christians have put in place because they don't children to be taught sex ed or taught about contraception, they want them to be taught about the little Christian 'morals.' Teens are going to have sex, teach them about contraception and proper sex ed. Also, did the missionaries ever think that teaching Christian 'morality' is ridiculous and asinine way to help people, the Africans are going to have sex, teach them about contraception so they don't spread the disease because the Africans were obviously going to have sex before marriage. Rather than spreading Jesus, they should spread solutions.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2008, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Eastern time zone
4,469 posts, read 6,160,640 times
Reputation: 3481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianinark View Post
It is the pride that homosexuals exhibit that is bringing so much attention towards them.
No kidding! How dare those gay and lesbian folk display the same nobility and affection (and dare I say, pride) in their partners as straight people. Sheesh.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top