Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:45 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Is it any wonder that the majority of mankind today look upon Christendom with contempt and discust, when comments of vicious hatred are vomitted out daily from some of it's staunchest Cultists.

Mind you, I'm not talking about Jesus or his teachings
Jesus speaking here. Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angles.

It is not comments of vicious hatred, it is the truth of Christ own Words.
Do you really think Christ is going to toss the Devil and his angles into a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem? Non believers and the Devil and his angles will be tossed into an everlasting fire. And those are the clear teachings of Christ.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:52 AM

5,563 posts, read 7,211,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Jesus speaking here. Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angles.

Do you really think Christ is going to toss the Devil and his angles into a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem? Non believers and the Devil and his angles will be tossed into an everlasting fire. And those are the clear teachings of Christ.
here too is a teaching of Jesus:

And Judas went and hanged himself... Then Jesus said, "Go thou and do likewise.."

cherry picking and verse stringing you can get scripture to say anything you want - that does not make it truth.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
here too is a teaching of Jesus:

And Judas went and hanged himself... Then Jesus said, "Go thou and do likewise.."

cherry picking and verse stringing you can get scripture to say anything you want - that does not make it truth.
So now you say we can't believe Jesus own words? That was not cherry picking, it is a truth that Jesus spoke, and it appears it is a truth you do not what to believe.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
So now you say we can't believe Jesus own words? That was not cherry picking, it is a truth that Jesus spoke, and it appears it is a truth you do not what to believe.
I do not cherry pick like you do, take the full contect of where that appears and specifically the audience it is directed to - you will be surprised, ALL the hell reference was toward the scribes and pharisees aka the religious elect.

You can believe what Jesus "allegedly" said but look at the full context. I say allegedly as these were NOT 1st hand accounts - at best 3rd or 4th hand accounts

Old 08-02-2008, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I do not cherry pick like you do, take the full contect of where that appears and specifically the audience it is directed to - you will be surprised, ALL the hell reference was toward the scribes and pharisees aka the religious elect.

You can believe what Jesus "allegedly" said but look at the full context. I say allegedly as these were NOT 1st hand accounts - at best 3rd or 4th hand accounts
At no point in Matthew 25 does it state the text was directed at the pharisees. It is directed at all non believers who do not watch for Gods return. And to suggest it was only pharisees that Christ had in mind is to depart from what was actually stated.

And if you feel that God can't get His Word right, then why believe anything. Either you believe the Bible, or you end up following your own personal spin.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 AM

Quote:
At no point in Matthew 25 does it state the text was directed at the pharisees. It is directed at all non believers who do not watch for Gods return. And to suggest it was only pharisees that Christ had in mind is to depart from what was actually stated.

And if you feel that God can't get His Word right, then why believe anything. Either you believe the Bible, or you end up following your own personal spin.
There you go again, just like the trinity. Seems you folk that adhere to creeds have this invisible measuring stick that says If a person does not believe in the list above then they cannot be Christian well you just like 99% of other christians are exclusivists and elitists.

You are reading a parable and now you are literalising it, who says your interpretation of it is correct? - oh of course the other 99% that think like you do.

I do not want to go into a complete breakdown and interpretatiuon of this passage. I can give yo links that explain it better than I can - DM me if you want it

Old 08-02-2008, 12:05 PM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Well, once again you like things to be literal. I guess God likes Sheep over Goats. Makes you wonder why he ever created Goats in the first place if he does'nt like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34
Do you really think Christ is going to toss the Devil and his angles into a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem?
Nope as everyone already discussed this over at the "Second Death" thread, it's simply Permanent death, everlasting Torment, Fire & Brimstone is reserved for all clergyman. Just kidding should be though. Death & Hell are permanently put out of action forever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campball34
Non believers and the Devil and his angles will be tossed into an everlasting fire. And those are the clear teachings of Christ.
They will be destroyed forever. It's all symbolic. I realize you want to see many even here suffer eternal misery and pain, but ain't gonna happen

Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
There you go again, just like the trinity. Seems you folk that adhere to creeds have this invisible measuring stick that says If a person does not believe in the list above then they cannot be Christian well you just like 99% of other christians are exclusivists and elitists.

You are reading a parable and now you are literalising it, who says your interpretation of it is correct? - oh of course the other 99% that think like you do.

I do not want to go into a complete breakdown and interpretatiuon of this passage. I can give yo links that explain it better than I can - DM me if you want it
Jesus has never filled the Bible with untrue stories. And I do not read anything more into a story than what is stated there. Jesus was speaking of what would happen to those who were not watching for His return. And if that is not correct, then Jesus will be guilty of misleading us because of all the other times he speaks of Hell. Revelation 20:15 "AND whosoever was not found written in the (BOOK OF LIFE) was cast into the (LAKE OF FIRE)."
And when it comes to the trinity. Do you believe that the God of the Old Testament made all things (ALONE) and by (HIMSELF)? I believe that. Yet I don't think you can believe that part of the Bible, because it does not agree with your doctrine. And it is a doctrine that denys the trinity. So it would be natural that there are certain things in Scripture that you will not be able to confirm as true. And you will not be able to confirm such things, even when the God of the Old Testament is telling you, it is true.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Jesus has never filled the Bible with untrue stories. And I do not read anything more into a story than what is stated there. Jesus was speaking of what would happen to those who were not watching for His return. And if that is not correct, then Jesus will be guilty of misleading us because of all the other times he speaks of Hell.
Well then this parable must relate only to sheep and goats right? We must be consistent - once literal always literal

Quote:
Revelation 20:15 "AND whosoever was not found written in the (BOOK OF LIFE) was cast into the (LAKE OF FIRE)."
Now where did you make this connection I thought you said:

"I do not read anything more into a story than what is stated "

Quote:
And when it comes to the trinity. Do you believe that the God of the Old Testament made all things (ALONE) and by (HIMSELF)? I believe that. Yet I don't think you can believe that part of the Bible, because it does not agree with your doctrine. And it is a doctrine that denys the trinity. So it would be natural that there are certain things in Scripture that you will not be able to confirm as true. And you will not be able to confirm such things, even when the God of the Old Testament is telling you, it is true.
We have discussed this ad nausium and I am not going to bite apart from that God is not found in a book. Its like I said earlier, you can make it to say anything you want it to say, cherry picking and stringing. One has to rightly divide and seek out the truth between the opinions/traditions of men.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:23 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
True...Jesus did not fill the bible with untrue stories...How could he? He had nothing to do with writing the tales contained in that book...Ordinary men with ordinary faults wrote it, and I'm sure embellished it, as many do with tales of old. I think there are a lot more tall tales than true ones in the bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality