Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 09:52 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times

Advertisements

Question to Atheists:

There was a proof of god existance. You woke up tomorrow morning, and here it is, announced on national news of a new discovery of God showing himself..... Whats next? How would your life change if any at all.

Question for Christians:

There was a proof of God non existance. Same scenario...

Just some fun hypothetical questions

I pretty much know the answers, just wanted to see if i'm right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 10:11 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
It probly wouldn't apart from me not calling myself an atheist anymore. It depends really, what type of god did you have in mind?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
It depends really, what type of god did you have in mind?
Whatever god you beieve in, the one that's upstairs?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 AM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
I am a Christian and proof that God did not exist would not change me. I would still live the clean lifesyle that I do now (ie. no drugs, sex out of marriage, killing etc.). The bible's teachings and laws just make to much sense to throw out.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:22 AM

22,178 posts, read 19,221,727 times
i've already got all the proof i need in my own life
plus i don't do newspapers or watch tv
my own personal experience and quality of life are not impacted whatsoever by anything on tv or in newspapers

so my life continues as it is now, happy joyous and free

Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikk View Post
I am a Christian and proof that God did not exist would not change me. I would still live the clean lifesyle that I do now (ie. no drugs, sex out of marriage, killing etc.). The bible's teachings and laws just make to much sense to throw out.

That's what i am wondering. You will change nothing, nothing at all by not believing, correct?

Not to be a pest, and this is not targeted to anyone in particular, but how does this change your morality? And why is that, that someone who don't agree with your religion is "going to hell", if indeed, those who don't believe are living the same way you do? So without bible, those thing make no sense? Thats where i get confused.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
I know there is the possibility of a god existing. I just don't believe it's any of the ones described in the various religions. If there is one, it would most likely be like the deists' definition of god.

Oh, and it wouldn't affect me either way. I do believe that it's better that some people have faith. The reason being is this. There are many theists who say atheists can not be moral or can't do right without a higher power. I've come to realize that the majority of the people who say things like that would become outright criminals if they knew their god didn't exist. Their beliefs are the only things holding them back from doing wrong. That's why they can't believe somebody can be moral without a higher being.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:00 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Whatever god you beieve in, the one that's upstairs?
Eh? I'm just saying that if there was evidence for a god then it would depend on which god. The way I live my life will not change if deism is right but it might if it's Allah

Old 07-31-2008, 11:03 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
Eh? I'm just saying that if there was evidence for a god then it would depend on which god. The way I live my life will not change if deism is right but it might if it's Allah
I agree. If the deist's image of god is real, that doesn't change anybody really. The gods of religions are a different story though.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,233,536 times
Since I believe that God = Love, I already have proof that God exists.
My life would only drastically change if it was proven that love never has existed at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality