Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 04:06 PM

244 posts, read 393,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
With kindest regards, I'm not trying to insult anyone. If it offended you or others, that was not my intention.

You claimed “unbelievers” in general deny their creator yet blame him for any and all wrongs in the world. In other words, since most people don’t happen to follow your particular religion, you called the vast majority of people in the world hypocrites. Are you really going to try and tell me you didn’t intend that to be insulting? Do you think “unbelievers” do that or not? If so, what do you base it on? Can you name even one “unbeliever” who does that?

Quote:
However, did you stop to consider how insulting Chambers' actions are towards me and others like me? It is a two-way street.

Sorry, but I don’t see how Chambers’ actions insult you at all. He’s suing God, not you. Perhaps you think no one has the right to question or ridicule your religion? If that’s the problem, then how would you say your attitude differs from the millions of Muslims that rioted over the Danish cartoons of Muhammed?

Quote:
I did read the full article and I do understand what he's trying to accomplish. I still see his actions as mocking God. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

If you understood what he was trying to accomplish then why did you claim he was trying to blame a God he didn’t believe in for the wrongs of the world? And even if you think he’s mocking God (which he wasn’t), what makes you think he doesn’t have the right to do so? Do you suppose God can’t handle it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 06:20 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
Well, he's a state senator, not a U.S. senator. But it's still a good point. Can't he think of a better way to make his point?
I think christianty is a very big problem in the US today. I understand why he felt compelled to act as he did.

Old 08-13-2008, 07:35 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times
It looks like an article from The Onion.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:01 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbryn View Post
You claimed “unbelievers” in general deny their creator yet blame him for any and all wrongs in the world. In other words, since most people don’t happen to follow your particular religion, you called the vast majority of people in the world hypocrites. Are you really going to try and tell me you didn’t intend that to be insulting? Do you think “unbelievers” do that or not? If so, what do you base it on? Can you name even one “unbeliever” who does that?
Yes, I'm telling you I didn't intend it to be insulting. If you found it insulting, then maybe you're reading too much into it. Maybe the brush was too broad, but yes, I do know atheists who say 'I don't believe in God because a supposedly loving God allows <<insert wrong/evil thing here>>' That's blaming Him. Yes, I could name them, but I don't like calling people out like that. Do a forum search and see for yourself. They're out there.

Quote:
Sorry, but I don’t see how Chambers’ actions insult you at all. He’s suing God, not you. Perhaps you think no one has the right to question or ridicule your religion? If that’s the problem, then how would you say your attitude differs from the millions of Muslims that rioted over the Danish cartoons of Muhammed?

Now several days removed and after reading your posts and re-reading the article, yes, I probably took offense too easily. True, he's not insulting me, he's just mocking God. You're right, it's between him and God and I know God can take care of himself. And, if you've read any of my past posts, you know I'm open to any and all questions regarding my faith and my beliefs and why I believe what I do. Christianity is one of the (if not the) most scritinized religions in the world. So questioning my religion I don't mind and, in fact, encourage.

Please understand I believe everyone has the right to free speech, and that includes ridiculing my religion. However, from my POV, it's perfectly fine for it to be "open season" on Christianity, but if a Christian would ridicule non-believers... watch out for the fireworks. Because that Christian would be taken to task for whatever they said. And, before you ask, yes, I've seen it happen and it has happened to me, as well.

Quote:
If you understood what he was trying to accomplish then why did you claim he was trying to blame a God he didn’t believe in for the wrongs of the world?

Umm... did you read what his witty and humorous lawsuit was suing God for?
Quote:
...seeking a permanent injunction against God. Chambers said God has made terroristic threats against the senator and his constituents in Omaha, inspired fear and caused "widespread death, destruction and terrorization of millions upon millions of the Earth's inhabitants."

Sounds like the blame game to me.

Quote:
And even if you think he’s mocking God (which he wasn’t), {in your opinion} what makes you think he doesn’t have the right to do so? Do you suppose God can’t handle it?

I never said he didn't have the right to do it. You assumed that was my position. It's not. He has the right to do what he wants, waste his time, accuse God of whatever he thinks is wrong in this world. That again is between him and God. And, as I stated above, God can take care of himself.

Last edited by mams1559; 08-14-2008 at 07:20 PM..

Old 08-15-2008, 01:54 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,218 times
I suppose if this case goes to court, it sets a legal precedent that God exists.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:31 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
It would be a major news event if God was required to come to court and testify and he actually showed up.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:51 PM

244 posts, read 393,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbryn
In other words, since most people don’t happen to follow your particular religion, you called the vast majority of people in the world hypocrites. Are you really going to try and tell me you didn’t intend that to be insulting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
Yes, I'm telling you I didn't intend it to be insulting.

This is sort of boggling but I suppose I’m game: Do you not think it’s insulting to call people hypocrites, or do you not think you called people hypocrites, or is there some other interpretation of all this that I’m missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559
I do know atheists who say 'I don't believe in God because a supposedly loving God allows <<insert wrong/evil thing here>>' That's blaming Him.

No it’s not blaming Him. It’s pointing out a circumstance that is incompatible with (and thus serves as evidence against) God’s existence. It boils down to a basic syllogism: If God existed then there would be no undeserved suffering. There is undeserved suffering. Therefore God does not exist. There may in fact be people who believe God exists and who blame Him for “all the wrongs of the world”, but those people (by definition) would not be atheists or “unbelievers”

Quote:
Now several days removed and after reading your posts and re-reading the article, yes, I probably took offense too easily.

Thank you for admitting this.

Quote:
However, from my POV, it's perfectly fine for it to be "open season" on Christianity, but if a Christian would ridicule non-believers... watch out for the fireworks. Because that Christian would be taken to task for whatever they said.

You seem to be assuming that the ridicule of a belief (“open season on Christianity”) is directly comparable to the ridicule of people (“if a Christian would ridicule non-believers”). Do you really think that?

Quote:
Umm... did you read what his witty and humorous lawsuit was suing God for?

I did. Did we not already agree the actual point was to get the government to stop acting under the assumption that God is a real (and thus sue-able) entity?

Quote:
I never said he didn't have the right to do it.

Then why get in such a huff as to accuse numerous people you don’t know of being hypocrites?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality