Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:55 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) --State Sen. Ernie Chambers says his lawsuit against God might seem funny but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a serious point.

Chambers asked Douglas County District Judge Marlon Polk on Tuesday to let his lawsuit proceed.

ABC News: Senator Suing God Urges Judge to Proceed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:26 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,505 times
2 Peter 3:3 -- "First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires."

They deny their creator, yet they blame him for any and all wrongs in the world. Makes complete sense to me .

Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 PM

244 posts, read 393,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mams1559 View Post
2 Peter 3:3 -- "First of all, you must understand that in the last days scoffers will come, scoffing and following their own evil desires."

They deny their creator, yet they blame him for any and all wrongs in the world. Makes complete sense to me .
"They" who?

Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,875 times
Why is this guy wasting resources and not back in Congress trying to solve the real problems of the US?

Old 08-10-2008, 07:59 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
I think religion, especially christianity, is a big problem in the US.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbryn View Post
"They" who?
Non-believers

Old 08-10-2008, 09:54 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,069,634 times
Maybe I'm missing something. He is suing to bring attention to the point that some legislators are making it difficult for poor people to take cases to court??

I don't understand how "God" plays into this.

Now... maybe if the senator were poor (I doubt it) it would make more sense. Just seems stupid to me and a waste of money. More than anything it sounds like the senator couldn't win his original argument thus he is doing this instead..

again.. a waste of money.

I'm going to sue him for me wasting my time in reading the article..

Old 08-12-2008, 01:07 PM

244 posts, read 393,221 times
Quote:

Quote:
They who?

Quote:
Non-believers

If you weren’t so set on trying to insult everyone in the world who doesn’t happen to believe in the same god you do, you might have actually read the article close enough to realize what Chambers is trying to accomplish. It’s not to blame God for all the wrongs in the world.

Here’s a clue from the article: “Chambers argued that courts and the U.S. government already routinely take notice of God. Courts swear in witnesses with an oath that includes the phrase "so help me God." Plus, the pledge of allegiance describes "one nation, under God," and U.S. currency proclaims "In God We Trust."”

If the government routinely treats God as a real entity, then how can they deny the lawsuit? If the government wants to avoid more such lawsuits, then maybe they should stop routinely treating God as a real entity.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbryn View Post
If you weren’t so set on trying to insult everyone in the world who doesn’t happen to believe in the same god you do, you might have actually read the article close enough to realize what Chambers is trying to accomplish. It’s not to blame God for all the wrongs in the world.

With kindest regards, I'm not trying to insult anyone. If it offended you or others, that was not my intention. However, did you stop to consider how insulting Chambers' actions are towards me and others like me? It is a two-way street.

I did read the full article and I do understand what he's trying to accomplish. I still see his actions as mocking God. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:46 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Why is this guy wasting resources and not back in Congress trying to solve the real problems of the US?

Well, he's a state senator, not a U.S. senator. But it's still a good point. Can't he think of a better way to make his point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality