Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Nikk
Quote:
Were talking about a real person here not some toy!
I've been watching the Tudors and the king there kept nullifying his marriages because his wives couldn't produce a male heir.

Quote:
Try the Ten Commandments, ie. "Thou shalt not commit adultry"!
How the heck do you wanna commit adultery if you ain't married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 01:32 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,621,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeSuSisGoD View Post
I truly agree with you. It is not anybody concern of what you do in your household. I bow my hat to you. 27yrs is a very long time. BUT
CelticLady1, not everyone could be as blessed as you are in your relationship. You also have to realize that relationship now and relationship 27yrs ago are extremely different.
I'm not saying that folks should live together. What I'm saying is, it's none of my business, or anyone else's for that matter, whether they do, or don't. The only reason I even mentioned my own situation is to point out that living together/having sex, before getting married, is not necessarily the death knell to marriage that so many seem to believe. It all depends on the people involved. Ultimately, though, our neighbors' marital status is none of our concern, but an awful lot of folks surely like to make their business, especially those in the church, which I find amusing as there is just as much "sin" within the church walls, as without. Perhaps it would be better if we allowed God to deal with such things, and leave our noses out of it.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:43 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,662,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accelerator View Post
Are there any passages that back up church teachings.. that sex before marriage is wrong.. ?

That is what I would like to know.

Because I don't remember reading this in the bible.

1 Cor 6:9-10. See my previous post.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:03 PM

763 posts, read 2,260,770 times
Sex before marriage is fornication. The church has the obligation to uphold biblical standards.

Kick them out of the sanctuary? No. (They obviously need biblical teachings more than others, especially if they don't see it as wrong.)

Remove them from church membership? If they refuse to repent, yes!

However, most churches today are more interested in filling the pews, so it's not surprising that more churches don't take a biblical stance. Truth is not popular. John the Baptizer was beheaded for the truth.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:14 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,105 times
...and yet Christians wonder why so many of us just can't accept the "Christian" belief and all of its dogma and condemnation. (heavy sigh)

Old 08-08-2008, 02:39 PM

249 posts, read 532,066 times
Default They came to understand shame, and made a virtue of it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
...and yet Christians wonder why so many of us just can't accept the "Christian" belief and all of its dogma and condemnation. (heavy sigh)
(The devil speaking)

"All I know is that I caused their fall from grace. Like a sinister trichina, like a plague germ contaminating whole kingdoms, I contaminated with my person that entire happy, sinless planet.

I spread contamination into that world. They came to understand shame, and made a virtue of it. The people learned from me how to lie. They came to love lying, to appreciate the beauty of lies. Then came jealousy, and jealousy begot cruelty.

They began talking in different languages. As the bacteria spread they began talking of honour, fraternity, independence, and what's mine and what's yours, and the more depraved they became, the more they applauded these ideas."

"Religions began to emerge, worshipping the nonbeing, and self annihilation, for the sake of eternal repose in nothingness.

Saints came to those people and preached to them about their pride, their loss of a sense of proportion. The saints were laughed at and stoned. Their blood splattered the doors of the temples.

Bitterly disillusioned, the people threw themselves into sensuality at any cost, resorting to violence to satisfy their appetites.

A strange thing was, that while they no longer believed in their lost bliss, dismissing it as a dream, and yet they longed so much to become happy and innocent once more. Like small children, they begun to worship their desires.

Countless temples were built, in which they defiled their own desires; and proceeded to worship them, and prayed to this idea. Even though that were so sure their wishes could never come true, they worshiped them with tears in their eyes."

Extract from.. the Fall of Mankind - Dostoyevski

The Dream of the Ridiculous Man

-

Last edited by accelerator; 08-08-2008 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-08-2008, 04:12 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,459,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
Sex before marriage is fornication. The church has the obligation to uphold biblical standards.

Kick them out of the sanctuary? No. (They obviously need biblical teachings more than others, especially if they don't see it as wrong.)

Remove them from church membership? If they refuse to repent, yes!

However, most churches today are more interested in filling the pews, so it's not surprising that more churches don't take a biblical stance. Truth is not popular. John the Baptizer was beheaded for the truth.
I agree! I think that the church should also mandate them to some sort of holding cell or solitary confinement. They do not receive bread or water until they realize the error of their ways. If all else fails, we can always burn them at the stake for heretical actions.

The truth is not popular.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:52 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
1 Corinthians 6:18-20 "Run away from sexual sin, no other sin so clearly affects the body as this one does. For sexual immorality is a sin against your own body. Or don't you know that your body is the the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with you body".

I believe God created sex to be a beautiful and essential ingredient of marriage, but sex outside the marriage relationship always hurts someone. It hurts God because it shows that we prefer following our own desires instead of His. It hurts others because it violates the commitment necessary to a relationship.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:05 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,273,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post

but sex outside the marriage relationship always hurts someone.

Please tell June you aren't saying what she thinks you're saying...

Old 08-08-2008, 05:11 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by june 7th View Post
Please tell June you aren't saying what she thinks you're saying...
What do you think I'm saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality