Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 05:32 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,619,641 times

Advertisements

Bookkeeper wrote:
Quote:
Does being an atheist mean you don't believe in God, or that you hate God? I'm curious if you would'nt mind.
I know the question wasn't directed to me but I would like to respond. An atheist by definition is someone who doesn't believe that God exists so the obvious answer is that you can't be mad at a being which you know isn't even real. That would be like being mad at Zeus because someone you know was struck and killed by lightning.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,029,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Oh puh-LEEEZE! "Deeper into the gay lifestyle" and "Inevitable storms"? Maybe the problem is her "Christian Lifestyle" that she was brainwashed into.

Her friend is about to learn a hard lesson in life. Steer clear of the Bible Thumpers and be prepared to lose any that you thought were friends. My experience from way back was that my evangelical Christian "friends" became quite cruel and turned against me.

Now, listen here.

I will say AGAIN that I have known him and been friends with him since SIXTH grade. We were close friends in high school, and we remain very close friends now (I WORK with him on a daily basis!). I have no intention of being cruel to him, or anything of the sort.

I wanted other religious people's input as to whether I was on the right track. I got it. And I HIGHLY resent, sir, your accusations that I'd be disloyal that way. I was the one he came out to,and I stuck by him.

I am sorry your experiences with others that shared my religious raising were less than desireable. However, please kindly remember that we're not all alike.

Old 08-17-2008, 06:23 AM

51 posts, read 83,938 times
Default Are you or Not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Now, listen here.

I wanted other religious people's input as to whether I was on the right track. I got it. And I HIGHLY resent, sir, your accusations that I'd be disloyal that way. I was the one he came out to,and I stuck by him.
You know Cold, Maybe you should read read read, study study study the Bible.
As a Christian, your going to have many many decisions to make throughout your life (as a Christian) much more difficult than this. You may come to a point after reading more, that you are not on the right track with this. It does not make you a horrible person to stand by what your God stands for, and preaches to you. The more I read in this circle, it seems you are responding in every way to justify yourself and your not dealing with the actual problem.
Remember that if you/we/I break "ONE" commandment, one is not different than the other. That's right, If you commit adultry, you are no different than a murderer. It's a hard fact to swallow, but it's the reality of God's law.
You are to love all people, unconditionally. But you are also supposed to surround yourself with people alike in order NOT to corrupt yourself. In God's eyes, your friend is corrupt. When God speaks of the wicked in the Bible, he is mostly talking about "sinners". We are all sinners, but not all of us repent, worship, believe in Jesus, or take the Word, armour of God seriously as he explains we should. He, God, thrives on our love for him, for one another. In God's eyes, we are to turn from all sin, and he did not mean think about it, stew on it, get the opinions of all kinds, he meant RUN, TURN, DON'T LOOK, RUN THE OTHER WAY FROM ALL SIN, AND STAY IN HIS WORD CONTINUALLY, RELENTLESSLY, FOR HIS SAKE, AND TO INFORM OTHERS OF THE WAY, THRUTH AND LIFE.
REMEMBER, this is not me talking, it is the Word, and YOU said, "I am a Christian". Being a Christian is hard to say the least, especially if you are seriously a Bold and DEVOTED Christian.
It is a serious thing to be a Christian, it's not to be taken lightly. Is that what you are?
All of the above is from the Bible, not me. Maybe you should ask yourself, because there is no such thing as a part time Christian, or a Christian that makes up their own rules?????? AT LEAST NOT IN GOD"S EYES.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:03 AM

51 posts, read 83,938 times
Default Don't let them ruin it!

Quote:
Oh puh-LEEEZE! "Deeper into the gay lifestyle" and "Inevitable storms"? Maybe the problem is her "Christian Lifestyle" that she was brainwashed into.

Her friend is about to learn a hard lesson in life. Steer clear of the Bible Thumpers and be prepared to lose any that you thought were friends. My experience from way back was that my evangelical Christian "friends" became quite cruel and turned against me.
Denverian....
Your friends were NOT acting as Christians if they were cruel and turned against you. There are all kinds in this world, and I find the most disturbing kind is a "Bible Thumpen, self absorbed, dictator"

But.....
There are also real Christians, and they are few and far between. It's a fine line at times. I'm obviously a Christian, but it's very hard work to stay on track ALL the time. It's also impossible.
Don't let what happened to you, ruin it for all Christians???
I have found that the more I study the Bible, the more I understand things I never thought before, which results in the gaining in Knowledge and Wisdom. I have also found that if I stop reading for a while, any turmoil in my life, gets quickly twisted, confusing, and may even spin out of control.
One thing I have learned so far in life, is that no matter who you/we/I are, God truly does love each one of us. He seemed a vengeful (SP)? God in the old testimont. But once the birth of his son, Jesus, I see and understand that his reason for this was that we ALL have the chance to be with him once we leave this earth.
He loves us so much, that he shed the blood of HIS son, and by his GRACE (no more vengence), we ALL actually have the chance to be with him forever. Furthermore, it amazes me that no matter how many times I have repented (been truly sorry) for things I messed up on, He wiped the slate clean, gave me another chance, and I assure you, did miracles in my life that I ABSOLUTLEY know were of him. I will never be the same again, no matter what.
Please don't let people get in your way for the same thing! Once it happens to you, YOU will never be the same.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:57 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
Does being an atheist mean you don't believe in God, or that you hate God? I'm curious if you would'nt mind.
It means I don't believe in a god. Atheist literally means without god. =]

Old 08-18-2008, 09:36 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookkeeper View Post
Denverian....
Your friends were NOT acting as Christians if they were cruel and turned against you. There are all kinds in this world, and I find the most disturbing kind is a "Bible Thumpen, self absorbed, dictator"

But.....
There are also real Christians, and they are few and far between. It's a fine line at times. I'm obviously a Christian, but it's very hard work to stay on track ALL the time. It's also impossible.
Don't let what happened to you, ruin it for all Christians???
I have found that the more I study the Bible, the more I understand things I never thought before, which results in the gaining in Knowledge and Wisdom. I have also found that if I stop reading for a while, any turmoil in my life, gets quickly twisted, confusing, and may even spin out of control.
One thing I have learned so far in life, is that no matter who you/we/I are, God truly does love each one of us. He seemed a vengeful (SP)? God in the old testimont. But once the birth of his son, Jesus, I see and understand that his reason for this was that we ALL have the chance to be with him once we leave this earth.
He loves us so much, that he shed the blood of HIS son, and by his GRACE (no more vengence), we ALL actually have the chance to be with him forever. Furthermore, it amazes me that no matter how many times I have repented (been truly sorry) for things I messed up on, He wiped the slate clean, gave me another chance, and I assure you, did miracles in my life that I ABSOLUTLEY know were of him. I will never be the same again, no matter what.
Please don't let people get in your way for the same thing! Once it happens to you, YOU will never be the same.
Well, the fact is that among Evangelical, Bible literalist Christians, they don't want gay people around unless they think you're trying to "turn straight". I certainly don't label all Christians this way because I know plenty who don't have issues with gay people. My own family tells me I'm going to hell, etc., and they can say they love me all they want, but I'll never be close to them again. Their loss, not mine. And a lot of churches will claim they love gay people, yet they demonize gay people at the same time, preach that laws need to be passed to restrict gay people, etc. That's not love or even tolerance in my book.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Well not all Christians are bigoted against gay people. There are even some atheists who hates gays and lesbians.
I can't believe I'm actually taking up for Christians when I'm a lesbian and an atheist. Maybe my long day has gotten to me.
Oh, I know! We have plenty of Christian friends who are totally accepting of me, my partner, and our children.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
We had one conversation that pretty much told him how I felt.

I told him flat out (because we're rather brutally honest with each other) that I think what he does is weird and I don't like it. BUT I like him just fine otherwise.

His response? lol "Well, what ya'll straight people do is weird to me, but I like you just fine too. So we're even."
If you can both make it work, then that's great. My own opinion/experience is that I find it extremely difficult to be close to someone who tells me that they believe I "chose a sinful lifestyle", etc., when I know that not to be the case. Obviously I don't agree 100% with every belief all my friends have. But when someone believes to the core that my life is an abomination, that's too big a disagreement for me.

My partner and I are members of a large Presbyterian church that accepts us, doesn't preach that our relationship is wrong, etc. That's why I suggested looking into different denominations because they're all different and preach different things. Just because you were raised in one denomination doesn't mean you have to live your entire life in it. Nor do I believe any one denomination is 100% correct. They all have flaws, but find the one that suits your needs best.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:32 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,221 times
Quote:
If you can both make it work, then that's great. My own opinion/experience is that I find it extremely difficult to be close to someone who tells me that they believe I "chose a sinful lifestyle", etc., when I know that not to be the case. Obviously I don't agree 100% with every belief all my friends have. But when someone believes to the core that my life is an abomination, that's too big a disagreement for me.
I couldn't agree more even though I'm an atheist and don't really believe in "sin" and "sinful" but I don't like to be regarded in a negative light simply because of my sexual orientation.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:42 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,003 times
God loves him..and God loves you. A loving God wouldn't want you guys to break your friendship. Nobody is perfect. I also felt in the same shoes...except I have NO problem with homosexuality. I don't think it's wrong..and it shouldn't be an issue..but I DO realize that my religion doesn't approve of it. That's my internal conflict. But regardless...they are all human beings and deserve love and compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality