Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2008, 11:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Nikk
Quote:
No, it is more like a parent saying to their fully grow, fully mature adult children, don't put your hand it the light socket, where the adult child knows full well of the consequences.
LoL, the thing is that Adam & Eve were 'born' in an adult body but probably had the mental capacity of a child.
For all we know they could only have been 2 days old before they were thrown out of Eden.

Besidez, God never showed Adam & Eve the ropes like any other normal human parent.
They had to eat from the fruit in order to actually know the difference between right & wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 11:17 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
If God is all knowing,controlling and powerful as many believe then why doesn't he just get rid of the Devil?

... AND give everyone say $10 million each. This will give us a lot of time to exercise, be healthy, enjoy nature, sing songs etc - actually, have heaven now here on earth. One second thought, I can compromise and can live with the $10 million and s/he can keep the devil.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:08 PM

83 posts, read 218,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
If God is all knowing,controlling and powerful as many believe then why doesn't he just get rid of the Devil?
This thread is too long to read and see if anyone answered it with a good answer . I seen a bunch of Carp. It is simple you are here . It is a test. you need good and evil to make a choice. without one there is no choice there for no test. and no need to be good. without evil you would not know the difference from good or evil, happy or sad. What kind of life would that be? To not know happiness?

Old 08-27-2008, 12:26 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,439,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Nikk LoL, the thing is that Adam & Eve were 'born' in an adult body but probably had the mental capacity of a child.
For all we know they could only have been 2 days old before they were thrown out of Eden.

Besidez, God never showed Adam & Eve the ropes like any other normal human parent.
They had to eat from the fruit in order to actually know the difference between right & wrong.
You do err because you do not know the scriptures. It says that Adam named all the animals. That means he had the ability to think and identify and remember all those names. It also says that in the cool of the day Adam walked with God. During these times of the day Adam had time to talk with God and it probably included lots of instruction by God. It says that Adam kept the garden, so he had knowledge of the plants found in the garden and how to keep them. So Adam knew quite alot.

The tree that he ate from is the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It does not mean that Adam did not know right and wrong before this. It is the command that Adam was given "do not..." that taught him righteousness, by not eating of that perticular fruit Adam was in "right" standing with God and Righteous. When he ate he became un-righteous. God wants us to live righteously that is why we have laws (the ten commandments).

We do not know how long Adam and Eve were in the garden before they sinned.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:26 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,794,345 times
[quote=Nikk;5016066]
Quote:
So, we each have the authority to allow Satan as much activity in our lives as we want. The total submission of a person to the demonic is called demon possesion.
Umm, this seems odd to me. I agree with most of what you say, but this just isn't jiving. How is it that children become possessed? Are you saying that they are able to completely submit to the devil? There have been stories of people possessed all throughout history, and some of them very Godly people. How do you explain that?

It seems to me that the devil has way more power than most people are willing to admit and that the battle between good and evil wages on. It appears that satan is powerful enought to choose people at random just because he can. I don't think there's much that can be done in these cases EXCEPT to have an exorcism. So that kinda negates what you said cause it obviously isn't always the person's fault.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:28 PM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
you need good and evil to make a choice. without one there is no choice there for no test. and no need to be good. without evil you would not know the difference from good or evil, happy or sad. What kind of life would that be? To not know happiness?
...seriously, god - being almighty - could fix that too by fixing our genes that make us always feel happy.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:11 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Default Why Doesn't God Just Get Rid Of The Devil?

That would remove too much of the fear factor that religious faith depends on. The devil (evil) is a necessary aspect of religion, at least the ones based on Middle East mythology.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:13 PM

553 posts, read 568,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
That would remove too much of the fear factor that religious faith depends on. The devil (evil) is a necessary aspect of religion, at least the ones based on Middle East mythology.

I TOTALLY agree!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:55 PM

553 posts, read 568,275 times
And I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why God "sent an evil spirit" to torment king Saul? Bible god does this stuff? He torments people with evil spirits? I guess that explains the folks in mental institutions then.

Then we have the Ahab character. A lying spirit engaged in conversation with God and volunteered to go lie to Ahab and God gave it permission to go and deceive Ahab to his death. Well at least that is how the primitive writer explained it.

I see an evolution of this Satan guy in the Bible as the theology of the people who tell us about him evolved. First he is not even mentioned by name for the first 15 books in the Bible - at least not with any great detail. Then he shows up in the Book of Chronicles (out of nowhere) to tempt David to number the people of Israel which contradicts an earlier version of the story which state that God is the one who baited David into numbering the people. Some say there is no contradiction and only shows God "using Satan" to attain his goal of punishing killing some 70,000 people because of some unspecified offense.

Next he appears in the book of Job conversing with God like they are old buddies. Seems like God went on some ego trip because he calls Satan's bluff and allows Satan to go and makes Job's life a living hell. There is even implication that Satan actually had the capability of taking Job's life too, but I digress.

After this we find him in the Post-exilic book of Zechariah in a role that casts him as some kind of prosecutor in the divine court of God. However, by the time a few hundred years roll by and we get to the New Testament he is no friend of God. He has his own kingdom, his own agenda, his own army and is presented as working entirely independent of God as he seeks to devour souls.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by Nikk
Quote:
You do err because you do not know the scriptures. It says that Adam named all the animals.
What Adam suddenly spoke English?
Any kid can name animals, especially if the animals had never been categorized before and named before, so you can't name them wrongly.
So I guess Adam forgot all about the amphibians?

Quote:
It also says that in the cool of the day Adam walked with God.
And every time I read Romeo & Juliet I walk in the company of Shakespeare.

Quote:
So Adam knew quite alot.
Adam knew as much as any fictional character would, so Adam only 'knew' as much as the original writer(s).

Quote:
The tree that he ate from is the tree of the knowledge of good and evil. It does not mean that Adam did not know right and wrong before this.
If Adam already knew the difference between good & evil why did God then create a tree of the knowledge of good & evil.
Or are you calling God a liar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality