Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2008, 10:24 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times

Advertisements

Any human being is forced to examine their shortcomings, mistakes and personal problems from time to time. It's just a part of life because none of us are perfect and we're often confronted with an unwanted situation due to our own inability to make the right decision. Do many of you wish you could change particular habits or weaknesses that affect your life in a negative way? I know I do.
A religious individual will often turn to their faith as a source of inspiration and feel that they're getting help from something outside of themselves. This is very different from an atheist because we realize that with the exception of friends or those we can turn to for support or guidance that we're really on our own. I do accept the reality of those circumstances but I must admit that I wish I was stronger. When you get older you can look back at your life and think about the countless small decisions you made that had an accumulative effect and led you to the circumstances you're in today. Sometimes they're good and sometimes they're bad. I know I'm never going to turn to religion because I just don't believe it's true but I honestly wish I had a stronger will and an inner determination to make the most of my life in a variety of different ways.
So for those of you who are religious or atheists, how do you deal with your own shortcomings and do you think you're doing a very good job of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 11:16 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,171,163 times
Listen to music. I can always find a song relevant to my problem. Nine times out of ten, it's a Door's song.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:14 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,272,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post

Listen to music.

^ Yup, hearing (the) occassional music captures June's attention.

--That, along with hearing those geese that seem to be so fond of flying over June's house...Listening to them as they fly overhead tends to have an incredibly reasuring effect on June. It calms her.

Wonder what that's about...

Old 08-30-2008, 02:29 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,574,394 times
As a believer we should seek the Lord at all times,not just when we are in trouble,but at all times. We should put our truist in Him and not man. God made everyone to be different from eveyone else and we have our strength and weaknesses our shortcomings,but when you have the Lord in your life you have everything.

Our real and major shortcoming would be not having the Lord in our life

Last edited by noland123; 08-30-2008 at 02:54 PM..

Old 08-30-2008, 04:09 PM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,073 times
I always try to look for the silver lining. I figure that as bad as anything is, there has to be a benefit from it somewhere and as long as I focus on the positive, I'm okay. As for shortcomings... I simply try to learn from my mistakes.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:16 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,468 times
I am a naturally optimistic person, but I don't know how much of that is because I have a strong christian faith. I suppose athiests must just look to themselves for strength - I look to the Lord for all I need. To me being a christian is a daily walk not just an abstract idea with optional trip to church on Sunday. I know I can trust God for everyting, it comes down to just believing.

Old 08-31-2008, 02:55 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,327,366 times
I know I can trust myself for everything and I also hold myself accountable for things I do wrong, or could have done better, for choices I've made, good or bad, for shortcomings. Some things happen to me and are out of my hands (others may have caused them or nature) and I have to make a decision each time, whether what happens is my fault or just something that happened to me. But it comes down to us really, when things go good or bad. Not a god or higher being. We're not perfect; we have to accept that but at the same time we can't use that as a crutch for everything.
It's not all black and white, there's a lot of grey areas too.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:41 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,506,148 times
Even though I am a believer, I am responsible for my own personal weaknesses..I do not blame my weaknessess on an evil spirit or the devil..I take full responsibility for all my shortcomings and for the things they cause me to do..Yes, I do pray about them, but I don't ask God to step in and zap these things from me, because,imo, He expects me to work out my own shortcomings in order to make me a stronger, better person for myself and those around me..When I pray about them it is to admit that I have them and to ask for a little guidance in overcoming them.Through many years of bad experiences in my life due to my own doings or a close family members doings I have found that (in my case) with prayer, perserverance, and patience that the end blessings were worth the pain and heartache..I guess I am more optimistic these days..

Old 08-31-2008, 09:22 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,285 times
.. by being analytical and true to oneself and not being delusional. Problems and deficiencies may be due to things one can and cannot change - find out the source of issues and deal with them (if you can). You will be much better equiped to take on and enjoy life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality