Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:15 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,588,833 times

Advertisements

make up your mind

did you want to ask a legitimate question or did you come here to mock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
renriq02 wrote:

Ok, now I get it. Fornication was ok at that time because we didn't have rules and regulations regarding marriage, incest was ok because afterall, who else would you have sex besides your brother or sister since they're the only human beings on the planet, etc. I guess they wouldn't have to worry about adultery since there's no one there to commit adultery with, and the list goes on and on. Have you ever considered how far fetched the story of Adam and Eve really is? My point is basically a mix of satire, humor, and the desire to get people to stop and think about the literal interpretation of the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 05:31 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
renriq02 wrote:
Quote:
make up your mind

did you want to ask a legitimate question or did you come here to mock?
I don't mock people for their religious beliefs and if you'd read enough of my posts over the past two years you'd probably notice that I'm actually very respectful of believers. Let me ask you this. Is it really wrong to question things that don't seem to make any sense? I think an open and honest discussion of literal interpretations versus symbolic interpretations of the Bible is a very healthy and productive thing because it makes people take a second look at something they may have never even considered. The basic question I asked is a legitimate question because the Bible makes such an issue about sex before marriage as well as adultery. Does it state in the Bible in any passage that God has suddenly decided to change the rules? No, it doesn't. There are a few atheists who will just throw out insults to believers but I'm not one of them. I'm sincerely trying to engage people into a conversation in which reason and common sense might persuade people to reevaluate what they say they believe and I'm completely open to doing the same thing myself if someone can present a solid reason for doing so.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:38 PM

I have reread your last 2-3 posts, and this is what I read

1. Your point was 'humor'.
To you the bible is a 'joke' but to us it is the Word of God.

2. Mythological couple - You think the bible is a myth

Your point as you stated might've been for others to see a different point of view of the bible, but your intentions were wrong.

Your intentions of posting were not to learn something but poke humor/mockery and to insult us by calling what we believe in a 'myth'.

You were doing pretty good until the end...which is where your true intentions came out.

You believe the bible to be a myth so you wasn't coming here to 'learn something'.

Why else would you ask a question that YOU don't even believe in the validity of it?

Ex.
Montana - Mr Bush....how did you become the greatest President of the United States?

Point: You dont believe him to be the greatest...but you ask to mock..not to really learn or to edify anyone.

Quote:
renriq02 wrote:

I don't mock people for their religious beliefs and if you'd read enough of my posts over the past two years you'd probably notice that I'm actually very respectful of believers. Let me ask you this. Is it really wrong to question things that don't seem to make any sense? I think an open and honest discussion of literal interpretations versus symbolic interpretations of the Bible is a very healthy and productive thing because it makes people take a second look at something they may have never even considered. The basic question I asked is a legitimate question because the Bible makes such an issue about sex before marriage as well as adultery. Does it state in the Bible in any passage that God has suddenly decided to change the rules? No, it doesn't. There are a few atheists who will just throw out insults to believers but I'm not one of them. I'm sincerely trying to engage people into a conversation in which reason and common sense might persuade people to reevaluate what they say they believe and I'm completely open to doing the same thing myself if someone can present a solid reason for doing so.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:57 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
He does have a point about incestuous relationships, however.

Old 05-16-2009, 05:58 PM

God does as He chooses

If were understood why or everything about Him, then He wouldn't be God any longer

Old 05-16-2009, 06:10 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
renriq02 wrote:
Quote:
You believe the bible to be a myth so you wasn't coming here to 'learn something'.

Why else would you ask a question that YOU don't even believe in the validity of it?
I have a different point of view, so what? If I believed that Adam and Eve were real people I wouldn't have asked the question, that's true. My intention is to stimulate a conversation regarding why believers might choose to believe in a real life Adam and Eve as opposed to considering the possibility that the authors of the Bible just didn't have any idea about how life could have originated and to consider the possibility that the origins of life might be a natural process. I have to give credit to the Catholics who at least have acknowledged the fact that evolution is real and that it's the will of God who is directing it. I don't believe in God but at least that's a step in the right direction. I certainly don't claim to know everything but I strongly believe that the scientific method and rational thought have created the modern world that we all take for granted and supernatural entities are very questionable.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:17 PM

different point of view? you're entitled to that just like everyone else

read your last posts, and tell me how any Christian should feel after you say

(paraphrase)
"i dont believe in these myths..just asking for my pleasure"

BTW whether or not incest or fornication was a sin or not doesnt matter

Look at it this way..

What if President Obama allows waterboarding? Will he still be the POTUS?
OF COURSE!
Obama is the POTUS and makes decisions that everyone may not agree with but that doesnt annul his position as the POTUS.

God is God, and whether He changes laws as He pleases doesn't change his role/position as God. If you had any right to challenge His authority then that will take away his position as God.

God answers to nobody...and that's one of the reasons why He is God

Quote:
renriq02 wrote:

I have a different point of view, so what? If I believed that Adam and Eve were real people I wouldn't have asked the question, that's true. My intention is to stimulate a conversation regarding why believers might choose to believe in a real life Adam and Eve as opposed to considering the possibility that the authors of the Bible just didn't have any idea about how life could have originated and to consider the possibility that the origins of life might be a natural process. I have to give credit to the Catholics who at least have acknowledged the fact that evolution is real and that it's the will of God who is directing it. I don't believe in God but at least that's a step in the right direction. I certainly don't claim to know everything but I strongly believe that the scientific method and rational thought have created the modern world that we all take for granted and supernatural entities are very questionable.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:20 PM

btw if you dont know everything then calling Adam/Eve a 'myth' will be out of ignorance.

If you knew everything then you can surely say it's true or false

Make up your mind in what you believe, and don't state facts that YOU don't even believe or can't even prove. That would be foolish...

Quote:
renriq02 wrote:

Old 05-16-2009, 06:37 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post

BTW whether or not incest or fornication was a sin or not doesnt matter

Look at it this way..

What if President Obama allows waterboarding? Will he still be the POTUS?
OF COURSE!
Obama is the POTUS and makes decisions that everyone may not agree with but that doesnt annul his position as the POTUS.

God is God, and whether He changes laws as He pleases doesn't change his role/position as God. If you had any right to challenge His authority then that will take away his position as God.

God answers to nobody...and that's one of the reasons why He is God
If Jesus had bowed to Satan, would Jesus still be God?

Old 05-16-2009, 06:38 PM

definitely

Jesus didn't do it for the principle/laws that were in place

Satan is a created being...even if Jesus had done so...it wouldn't mean anything.

It's like if USA calls Cuba the Super Power of the World..and Cuba rules everyone.

Even if USA does that...it will not take away that the US can destroy Cuba and beat them

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
If Jesus had bowed to Satan, would Jesus still be God?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality