Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 06:35 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,456,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
Isn't that true of every religion, though?
Yes, but to different degrees, and the degree matters. Some religions allow for a lot more freedom and individuality than others, and it's only the ones that are particularly stifling to personal freedoms and individual expression that I would consider "cultish".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 08:07 PM

Sorry, had to quote this cause I thought it was funny:
Quote:
Ads by Google
Jehovahs Witness Supplies - Save 5% off any order over $35. Includes leather bookbinding.
Jehovahs Witness Supplies? Lol.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:33 PM

399 posts, read 704,967 times
As a former JW there is A LOT of mind control. The whole religion is mind controlled. You can't do anything without it having some sort of yes you can or no you can't. They regulate everything in your life from getting up in the morning to going to bed at night (in a sense). They are even in your bedroom. Not for me anymore, not after 27 years of mind control! I agree with you reformed. YOu have hit the nail on the head on how they make you fearful of everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFORMED View Post
I couldn't agree with you more... especially about the "fear of demons since childhood" thing, and anxiety attacks. And the fear of being killed in Armageddon? It was absolutely overwhelming. To this day, sometimes my sister and I will discuss what we envisioned as kids. I used to envision looking out my livingroom window and seeing everything red and on fire... and seeing people outside burning to death, screaming... their bodies on fire. Not what a child should be thinking about.... My sister still has nightmares to this day about the visions she used to have as a kid. They were pretty close to mine. Not the first time I've heard this. Just remember you're not alone.... millions of people have the same issues as a result of being the such a mind controlling, fear inspired organization. And a twisted one that thinks absolutely nothing of teaching about destruction and death to kids, showing them such pictures in their magazines/books which in my estimation is guaranteed to be the root of such relentless anxieties.. As a matter of fact, you give me a good idea for a new post. Watch for it.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylee11 View Post
As a former JW there is A LOT of mind control. The whole religion is mind controlled. You can't do anything without it having some sort of yes you can or no you can't. They regulate everything in your life from getting up in the morning to going to bed at night (in a sense). They are even in your bedroom. Not for me anymore, not after 27 years of mind control! I agree with you reformed. YOu have hit the nail on the head on how they make you fearful of everything!
You know what I always thought was funny? The JWs would always use the argument that they’re not cultish because they don't dictate when you have to pray and what you have to wear down to the inch. I always thought, if you have to compare yourself to Islam so as to not appear cultish, that's when you know it's pretty bad. Lol.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofmycastle View Post
Here is one that the governing body will not say on paper but its what they believe.
The Governing body is gods mouth piece on earth, they are the only ones that are going to heaven [also know as the remnant or little crowd, or last of the 244000] God speaks to them through Christ. So its like this from god to Christ, to the governing body then to the great crowd or rank and file. So my question was [and they would run like a scalded dog when I asked it] if this is the case, then should we pray to the governing body when we pray if they are the intermediary between us the great crowd and Christ? I would ask should we not say in the governing body's name amen to our parers?
I always thought it was funny JWs claim there are no more prophets today, but then in the same breath claimed the Governing Body has prophetic powers. Based on my experience, most of the JWs I knew were pretty open about this belief. I even met some of the people that worked at Bethel (home to the Governing Body to those who don't know). They didn't seem to hide anything, though I do find it strange that "governing body" and "Bethel" yielded zero search results for me on watchtower.org.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:18 AM

810 posts, read 1,436,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I always thought it was funny JWs claim there are no more prophets today, but then in the same breath claimed the Governing Body has prophetic powers. Based on my experience, most of the JWs I knew were pretty open about this belief. I even met some of the people that worked at Bethel (home to the Governing Body to those who don't know). They didn't seem to hide anything, though I do find it strange that "governing body" and "Bethel" yielded zero search results for me on watchtower.org.
I have never seen or heard that "the governing body has prophetic powers".

Do Witnesses believe that we are acting in harmony with God's will and purposes? Absolutely!
Do we believe we are spreading the prophetic message of God's kingdom that Jesus taught his followers, and commanded his followers to preach throughout the earth? Absolutely!

The bible is the only source, and contains the prophecies of old, and those yet to be fulfilled. The gift of prophesy was given to the the prophets of old and members of the first century congregation. In our time we can be on the watch for prophesies in our day to be fulfilled.

Please tell me...what religion on earth does NOT believe they are doing God's will?

Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 PM

810 posts, read 1,436,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterofmycastle View Post
First off you are not even close to the organization if you have studied for 30 years and never been baptized. You would have been abandon long ago by a JW, they don't waste time [years] on people. Second there is secret information that only people on a need to know are given. What you are talking about is the public information that they give out in some publications. There are books written by the Borg and given only to Elder, or Circuit servants ect. You did not know this because you are not associated with the Witnesses. You maybe have a relative that is one and they do not know the truth behind the Borg because they are not given it. one has to get from other sources and this by and itself is a disfellowshipping offense.

The entertainment factor is as follows, everyone is a minister in the Borg in that all have to knock on doors and convert the unsuspecting. Second all males and its a patriarchal cult, must reach out for more and more responsibility like being a ministerial servant, then Elder and so on. You are not allowed to advance if you are known to watch any R rated movies in your home or public, this is just one thing that can put an end to your advancement. I know of many who hide it that they watch R or more adult films in the privacy of their own home.

Your list of things that set out JWs as different are the same thing the Quakers do and to a greater degree, but they are according to JWs not gods people. The JWs have a long list of failed dates for the end of the world and crazy rants about how Aluminum is the devils metal, or that immunizations are the puss of horses used to control people, or that the pyramids of Geza were built by Jehovah and the true men of god could use the measurements to figure out the end of the world time table. JWs are a cult, that puts the cult above family, one would them selfs be disfelloshipped if they talk with or had a meal with a daughter , father , son, mother ect that was them self disfellowshipped. Its a cult and a dangerous one that will break up family's.
I missed this post ^^ earlier...
Well, it has been a year now that I have been baptized and nothing has changed. It did take me about 30 years...we all have our own journey and our own minds to make up.

Old 08-03-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
I have never seen or heard that "the governing body has prophetic powers".

Do Witnesses believe that we are acting in harmony with God's will and purposes? Absolutely!
Do we believe we are spreading the prophetic message of God's kingdom that Jesus taught his followers, and commanded his followers to preach throughout the earth? Absolutely!

The bible is the only source, and contains the prophecies of old, and those yet to be fulfilled. The gift of prophesy was given to the the prophets of old and members of the first century congregation. In our time we can be on the watch for prophesies in our day to be fulfilled.

Please tell me...what religion on earth does NOT believe they are doing God's will?
The JWs I studied with said that alone, the GB members weren't prophets, but together as an organization, they were a direct line of communication to God and Jesus. That's basically another way of saying "prophet".

To answer your question, there are polytheistic, pantheistic, panentheistic, deistic, panpsychic...etc. religions that don't believe in a unified "God's will" concept.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:12 PM

11 posts, read 10,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeveenh View Post
I missed this post ^^ earlier...
Well, it has been a year now that I have been baptized and nothing has changed. It did take me about 30 years...we all have our own journey and our own minds to make up.

Congratulations on your babtism, Beeveenh .I too have been studying off and on for many years. I have yet to have anyone give up on me! As we are well aware of, these derogatory comments are straight from Satan!

My favorite scriptures are; Matthew 7: 13 & 14 and Matthew 7: 21-23. Anytime I hear of "Christians" bashing Jehovah's Witnesses, my mind always goes straight to these scriptures! I may not be babtised (yet) but I do love the truth!

Old 08-09-2012, 06:13 AM

661 posts, read 1,183,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The JWs I studied with said that alone, the GB members weren't prophets, but together as an organization, they were a direct line of communication to God and Jesus. That's basically another way of saying "prophet".

To answer your question, there are polytheistic, pantheistic, panentheistic, deistic, panpsychic...etc. religions that don't believe in a unified "God's will" concept.
Yes, the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses decide what is the truth and the rank and file HAVE to follow along with that under threat of expulsion (disfellowshipping).

In the last 17 years, they have altered their views on the 'generation' prophecy of matthew 24 V 34 no less than 4 times! And they have a hotline to God??? Is God confused?? Is this the light getting brighter???

For many years in the last century, they told us that the generation who had witnessed 1914, would see the end of the system... If we had believed anything different at the time, and had voiced that opinion in the congregation, we would have been disciplined. we would have been told that we were not following the Spirit Anointed 'faithful and discreet slave', even though what they were teaching was NOT TRUE, A LIE.

A Jehovah's Witness can only believe what the Governing Body tells him/her to believe, and their track record on interpreting prophecy is abysmal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality