Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:15 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,466,471 times

Advertisements

If you take the time to study a little history, you'll find that "Jesus" is a Greek corruption of his actual name. He spoke Aramaic, not Greek, and his name was Joshua (that being the English rendition of Yeshua).

And why Greek? Because after the disastrous war with Rome (AD 67-73) his surviving disciples went into exile. Greece was the first place they settled. Italy came a little later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 04:29 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,573,340 times
I don't recall anyone named Bob in the Bible. Somehow I feel a little cheated.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:41 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Naw, but you Bobs have a "Bob Convention" all to yourself.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:44 PM

22,996 posts, read 34,256,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Don't worry, I bet there was at least one shepherd named Bob

Old 10-19-2008, 04:31 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,928,423 times
Well I come from one of those south american countries where Jesús is a somewhat common name and I thinkis it's just because it sounds so much better in Spanish. Gee Zeus sounds a bit awkward but really now, there's no reason why you shouldn't call your child Jesus and anyone who tries to tell you otherwise should really mind their own business.

In fact for all we know it might just be that nobody in english speaking countries ever considers the name Jesus when choosing a name for the child. Maybe people do but find that thinking "Michael is a much nicer name than Jesus" is blasphemous and thus need to find other reasons. Who knows?

Interestingly enough we also see this with the name Chris. In english Chris is usually the short version of Christopher while in spanish it's usually Christian. (Both versions have similar roots).

Back where I'm from, nobody pays attention to a name like Jesus or Joaquin but when I moved to England I got teased a bit for my name since it's really hard to pronounce in english(Ho-Ahh-Kin). Conversely if you went to a school in south america with a name like Bob or Richard or Steve then people would probably make fun of it and call you a gringo.

The underlying reason isn't because a name is funny or has religious connotations but because it strays from the norm and it's human nature(stupid child nature to be more specific) to look at something which is different in a negative fashion. If your name was God and you went to a school where 8% of the kids there had the same name, then chances are you would have no problem with respects to your name and instead you would get teased for having webbed feet or a third nipple or no face.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:21 AM

1 posts, read 4,819 times
Default Why People Don't Name Their Children Jesus

Back in Jesus' day, His name was common. Y'shua, or Yeshua in Hebrew is similiar to our Joshua of today. At this point in time, it's a matter of respect.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:00 AM

275 posts, read 705,419 times
We don't because it is considered around here to be a Hispanic name and we are not Hispanic. :P Plus, I'm Jewish, so that's why my oldest son's hebrew name was David. (From the Torah, etc...)

If I wanted to name him "after Jesus", then his name would be Joshua.

Old 06-26-2009, 11:08 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,307,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene Wright View Post
It's just something you don't do. An unspoken rule that doesn't need any explanation. Well, okay, apparently it does.

It's out of respect and reverence. There's only ONE Jesus.

And I knew someone growing up named Cain. Why they would name their child this I have no idea. Not one of the great Biblical characters IMO.
It's a cultural thing. You see it all the time in Latin America. To them it's the ultimate sign of respect. Different strokes for different folks....

Old 06-26-2009, 11:41 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,801,657 times
This kid at school was named Jesus so he always said, "Jesus loves you!!!" when people walked by. lol that was pretty cute. I think people say the other way though heysus, or however you write that phonetically. Yea definitely a culture thing though. Yes there's only one Jesus but I think it's ok because they don't mean it insulting or anything, just naming there kid after someone they admire, lots of people do that.

Old 06-26-2009, 03:12 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,277,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I was reading an article about the top ten baby names and I was reminded that many people's names in America are taken from the Bible. The top ten list for men is:

1. Jacob

2. Michael

3. Ethan

4. Joshua

5. Daniel

6. Christopher

7. Anthony

8. William

9. Matthew

10. Andrew

This got me wondering why no one ever really names their child "Jesus". I know in some South American countries that people name their kids "Jesus" but rarely is it a name you come across here in North America. I knew a couple of Elijah's in school as well as a Noah. I never did meet a Cain or Abel though. Any ideas? I just think it's strange that of all the people in the Bible, and certainly the most popular figure, that Jesus is a name that many people don't name their children.
I guess the same reason someone wouldn't name there child lord, God, Messiah, Elohim, or the other names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality