Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 01:25 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,351 times

Advertisements

I looked on Google (even seeing your post ).
Then I went to his site.

________RUN!!!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 4,934 times
Default The cult you see is within you

Hi Shuffler,
I've studied most world religions, including many of the New Age variety, as well as tribal, shamanic, mystical, alchemical, spiritualistic and "paths" for more than thirty years and received a degree in religion from Princeton University.
I find you discerning in being both suspicious and open-minded regarding these groups and their adherents. I share your concern about those who have fallen for anything hook, line and sinker. My experience over the years is that they can't be reached with any form of rational thought (similar to those who call anything different from their own beliefs a cult or mind control). I have seen some people respond to love and support, while encouraging them to rely on their own discernment and individual sovereignty. Forget the gas shortage, we have a discernment shortage!
There is a real danger in all of these becoming cults. What is missed is the totally subjective judgement used in deciding whether a particular group is a cult. Most individuals will not admit to themselves the paltry evidence upon which they reach their conclusions nor the leaky logic in getting there.
Look at the postings! A declarative sentence with no evidence cited and no convincing argument, warns us to stay away at all costs. The primary evidence cited above appears to be rumor at best, as if one cannot simply choose to move without it being obvious they were run out of town. Others who were "run out of town" in one way or another or simply shot, beaten or killed: Abraham Lincoln, Moses, Socrates, Jesus the Christ, the 6th patriarch of Ch'an Buddhism in China, "witches" in Salem, JFK, Dr. Martin Luther King, women in Pakistan, students at Kent State, Ronald Reagan and John Lennon. At risk: virtually any member of any faith that is in a considerable minority and therefore controversial where it exists.
The other evidence cited above, a picture of a guy who looks like someone else with whom there is negative association, is also obviously fallacious. Judging Masterpath by judging Gary Olsen's picture is a form of ad hominem fallacy-- to be precise and to avoid leaky logic.
Using run out of town as evidence of a cult is actually evidence of bigotry and for some reason we don't want to look at our own bigotry and prefer to point the finger at what we call a cult. So the plethora of bigotry shadows rather than enlightening a sincere inquiry into whether a group is a cult or not. Also, as you point out, one individual may be predisposed to "cultish" involvement while another may simply be looking for information.
All groups have the potential for becoming a cult to a greater than average degree to the extent that the individual abandons their sense of sovereignty in favor of groupthink. This is an individual choice which can be encouraged but not forced on anyone. All groups encourage it to the degree that their members identify as a group member rather than identify as being themselves. Look at sports fans. Sometimes it's just excitement. Other times it erupts into violence and people are killed.
I've read some of the Masterpath materials and it clearly emphasizes the importance of inner inquiry over groupthink. The charge by Rick Ross that these materials are somehow plagiarized from Eckankar shows how apparently shallow Rick Ross's understanding of philosophy, religion and spirituality is. Did St. Paul plagiarize Jesus? Did Plato plagiarize Socrates. Did Chuang Tzu plagiarize Lao Tzu? I spent a semester analyzing how a single verse in the Gospels could be penned by two or three different authors. Does this make all of Christianity a plagiarizing cult?
I do not know Mr. Ross and will give him the benefit of the doubt but it would appear from published accounts that he would do better at helping families who feel their child is in a cult by: 1) working on a broader and more accepting point of view within himself, 2) being more professional in treating this as a family challenge with less emphasis on the "identified patient" (which seldom works), and 3) focusing on supporting the points of agreement within the family while emphasizing the importance of individual inquiry.
The true essence of the ancient wisdom, as it approaches its noumenal denoument, is one absolute Truth and to the extent any writing achieves this, if understood by someone with more depth, it will not be seen as a copy from Cliff Notes but rather as a more pure vehicle for transmitting this one ancient wisdom.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 PM

175 posts, read 424,850 times
Being a former (seriously devoted) member of MasterPath, I would never have categorized it as a cult while 'on the MasterPath'. However, upon my departure from the group, I realized many things that could not be seen, much less contemplated, while involved with the group.

It is easy to write off the plagiarism as a common place phenomenon in our current culture, or in Gary's paraphrased words: there is nothing original in the world. (which I see as a clever rationalization of work he has yet to do himself). Easy to copy someone else's work, have another person edit it, and then print & publish it as your original document. I think the plagiarism is very important and serious point of consideration in 'discerning' the integrity and authenticity of the leader. Particularly, when the supposed author is claiming that the 'writings' are a direct result, an actual account of his or her inner attainments. And frankly, what makes the act of plagiarism so reprehensible is that the leaders have yet to realize the very truths they claim to embody. Unfortunately, few will be so close to the 'great Gary' as to really see and know the truth. We believe what we want to believe. Alas, this world seems to the melting pot for self-aggrandizing pseudo gurus of all faiths.

I was in MP for the majority of my life, know Gary personally, and speak from 'inner investigation.' My inner journey ultimately led to a complete severance of ties with Masterpath and Gary Olsen. It's rather sad that upon leaving, there is no love salvaged between the 'supposed Saint' and the 'lowly chela.'

As far as I'm concerned, the MP is nothing more than a business. They provide no benefit to the community or world at large. (And I am most familiar with their 'spiritual rationale' for this position: the Master isn't here to change the world, only for the ready souls...yadda yadda). Here is what I know for sure: Truth is free. No man or woman has been endowed with the designated power to grant entry to your own soul. The cost of admission (albeit reasonable compared to other organizations) is a testament to what MP is not. The fact that the 'teachings' are not available to the public is nothing more than a protective covering. It's all a joke.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:01 AM

33 posts, read 103,584 times
Default Whats A Nice Girl Like You Doing In a Cult Like This

Dear Shuffler, I was a student of the MasterPath for over a decade. No one ever "joins" a cult...the people on MasterPath have chosen to be in that group, beliving that they are "sincere" in their desire for the Spiritual life. You don't really realize that you have been in a cult until you have left a cult. Therein lies the dilima of trying to reason with someone about the group they are in. The problem is the truth of the Spiritual life is inside of one's self and truth cannot be found in another. Gary Olsen wants you to believe that the truth is in him. I left MasterPath because although I deeply desired Spirit and the immersion into all things of Spirit, I kept being confronted by Gary's hypocrisy. He preached self-inquery but wanted to be the one who told you where you were at in consciousness. And wouldn't you know it, everyone was always lower than him?! MasterPath is built on a system of hierarchy. Higher initiates tattle on lower initiates. There is a dynamic of pecking order that is undeniable. And the group is powerful. If you have doubts or questions about "the Master" there are a thousand people around you to point out the error of your ways and get you back on course. I don't know if you can talk with that person that you know or not...but I would try. The longer you spend on MasterPath, the harder it is to extract yourself. When I left, I left behind a decade worth of friendships. It was hard. Distance was probably the greatest teacher for me. I feel like I have a good life now. I care about friends, family and my community. On MasterPath I was horribly isolated...I just didn't know it. That's the thing about a cult; it separates you from the rest of the world as though MasterPath is the only goodness and the rest of the world and your precious life is something to get away from. Like I said no one ever goes out and says, "gee I think I'll join a cult," so it may take some real finess to help your friend. I believe in the power of love though. And love is stronger than the scam that Gary Olsen is running! Good luck to you and your. I hope things turn out well for you.

Last edited by rememberingyou; 02-18-2009 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-19-2009, 11:00 AM

Default Did Gary give you this assignment?

The true essence of the ancient wisdom, as it approaches its noumenal denoument, is one absolute Truth and to the extent any writing achieves this, if understood by someone with more depth, it will not be seen as a copy from Cliff Notes but rather as a more pure vehicle for transmitting this one ancient wisdom.[/quote]

Old 02-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Default Did Gary give you this assignment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time is not Absolute View Post
The true essence of the ancient wisdom, as it approaches its noumenal denoument, is one absolute Truth and to the extent any writing achieves this, if understood by someone with more depth, it will not be seen as a copy from Cliff Notes but rather as a more pure vehicle for transmitting this one ancient wisdom.
Time is not Absolute, you do what MasterPath students do so well: show thinly veiled disdain for any opinions other than your own (or Gary's own) and a false superiority toward other human beings. Basically your post puts down everyone...you think people are judging Gary by his picture, but you fail to recoginize that what people are reacting to is the whole vibraiton around MasterPath. You can't see it, because you are in a cult! It would not suprise me if Gary had "assigned" you the task of going on line and trying to circumvent negative talk about him. That's how big Olsen's ego is! If it wasn't your assignment, then you have most likely taken it upon yourself as a mission to "correct" others in their inferior way of seeing and thinking! This is what MasterPath breeds: contempt. And obviously you are a sudent. That is the only way you would have read "some of the MasterPath material," which is otherwise "secret." There was nothing loving or kind about what you wrote. You wanted to make people feel less than you, because MasterPath students are oh so superior. I don't care if you have a fancy degree. It sure hasn't helped you to love others, or even be nice for that matter! The folks who recognized Gary for the scammer that he is are far more awake and aware than you are, because THEY'RE NOT IN A CULT! Take your clues here, Shuffler...there is no love on MasterPath, except the love for Gary Olsen's ego and the love of disdain and contempt for all things not MasterPath! This guys whole post says more than the Rick Ross site or any other posting about the real danger and darkness of MasterPath.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:43 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
I checked into it - looks like an interesting cult but I'm not gonna worship any gurus who spend so much time in a tanning bed.
Sri Gary Olsen should at least remove the shades before he tans - it would look so much more realistic...

Old 02-19-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
I checked into it - looks like an interesting cult but I'm not gonna worship any gurus who spend so much time in a tanning bed.
Sri Gary Olsen should at least remove the shades before he tans - it would look so much more realistic...

Great wit! Thanks for the laugh. Excellent.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM

Default Time is not Absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time is not Absolute View Post

I find the last line of your post to be the most interesting.

The “true essence”: how can anyone trust the leaders in representing this ‘true essence’ when the majority of paths are the result of men creating their own religions. Let’s see: Eckankar founded by Paul Twitchell, plagiarized Radha, creating fantasy characters of saints; Scientology: the result of a bet that a religion could be started and people would buy it. And now, MasterPath: Gary initiate of Eckankar, now linking himself to Radha, Jesus, Lao Tsu, Sawan...his self-ascribed "inner spiritual lineage."

To what “ancient wisdom” do you refer? The ‘ancient wisdom’ of the “Original Teachings of the Saints” as purported by MasterPath? Or, is it Eckankar, Radha, Scientology. Of which MP is a compilation drawn from all three, though I do believe Mr. Olsen made a concerted effort to remove the photocopied Scientology ‘reality scale’ from his beginning publications.

“As it approaches its noumenal denouement…” [sic] What happens when a sincere student experiences this inner wisdom, and the pinnacle of realization is that the supposed guru of one of these respective paths is not what or who he claims? I suppose given how the above sentence is composed that individual is then categorized as ‘lacking depth.’ How convenient for the leaders to presuppose it is their right to determine how, when, and in what way the Spirit chooses to touch and enlighten each of us. Then I say that they do not understand their job description!

I agree that there is Truth that unites all of life. However, I am not convinced that any of the above mentioned paths (with the possible exception of Radha) are the Wayshowers of this “one Absolute Truth.” Nor do I believe that these paths have achieved this ‘noumenal denouement’ in their writings or representation of Truth.

And last, “it will not be seen as a copy from Cliff Notes but rather as a more pure vehicle for transmitting this ancient wisdom.” Interesting. I see these writings as selectively choosing what they honor in order to serve their end desire. And certainly not as a “more pure vehicle.” I find nothing “more pure” in altering ‘ancient wisdom’ to serve modern needs.

For example, Radha clearly states “a true Guru accepts no money for his services.” Yet, these supposed Western Gurus charge and call it a karmic payment by the student; you know a way the individual can burn off one’s karma without having to incur it on the physical. In the writings of MP (Gary’s “Cliff-note” from Radha) it clearly states: “The Sound Current cannot be bought, sold, or marketed.” Yet, in the MP “Introductory Profile” it states that for $30.00 month besides receiving the monthly discourse, access to the seminars and satsangs, you also get the ‘ever-present protection of the Inner Master.’ Duh I dunno, I don’t think the ‘true essence of God’ is for sale!

Of course, according to MP any seeming contradiction seen by the student, once properly contemplated, will be seen as a product of the student’s own limited mind being projected upon the master. Again, how convenient for the leaders to impose this rather clever mental technique of control to avoid the close examination which they purport as a necessary requirement in ascertaining the efficacy of the teachings. I also understand that according to MP, the true test is the inner visitation by the “Radiant Form of the Master.” Well, then, what happens when this “inner visitation” reveals what I just described in the preceding paragraph? The correct answer is that no one is allowed to question the ‘leaky logic’ of the supposed saint of the respective path.

As I understand the “ancient wisdom”… it is quite simple: the soul is our true essence, it exists within all life, it is God-given, and ultimately we each realize this self. It is the only commodity that does not cost a dime to know or experience.

And last, there are many authors currently producing books that embody this ancient wisdom, and you know what: they write their own books, they acknowledge their sources, they honor many great poets from the past and present, and they are not forming organized paths that present themselves as the ‘only way’ to know the Self or God. And they are available to the public without having to join a group consciousness.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:29 PM

(with the possible exception of Radha)...frankly, I'm not even certain about Radha. And I do believe that everything has something to offer, just maybe it doesn't always turn out to be what we initially hoped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality