Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 06:08 PM

309 posts, read 580,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I'm sure there are chelas 'on the lookout' for threads like this.
If you say so. Chelas are free to do as they wish. Two have contacted me other then ones that posted here. No one with any warnings scoldings, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I observe that they have a 'network', for times such as somebody relocating to another city/State, and will seek out a 'meeting' with a local chela(s),
Pretty much bull**** to me. If there is any networking, like an areas in NM where there seems to be a high density of chelas its informal and no more organized or sinister then any group of people seeking out like minded folks.

There is no online way for me to find chelas in my area, if there is any network, its an informal friends thing.

There are no secret or clandestine meetings, other then posted on the MP site. If groups of chelas want to meet each other, thats their call.

Quote:
What happens at those meetings?
Go to one. See for your self, its free. Pretty much the same as you will here on any of the free audios and videos.

No love fest other then a great vibe one gets, there is a Hu for about 1-2 minutes to open a session. The rest - gary sits up front, or stands, and talks, draws on a board. Thats it. No dancing, no hugging. He's a mid-western, nordic, stoic kind of guy, his teachings are pretty much on topic, a few jokes things a good presenter should do, but not love fest and empty airey content for the most part. Some folks complain that he is repetitive.

I don't known about exclusive meetings. As far as I know Gary doesn't do 1:1 consulting. Never heard of one, never seen any form where i can ask for one and pretty much heard they are discouraged even though some folks ask for them. I do know there are initiations happening, in between satsangs. Of course only the initiates and gary, or joy whom ever is there. Usually not a 1;1 and no initiations don't cost anything at all.

>>I've heard he has goons to keep people out of his face and away from the meetings. Is that true?

Out of his face? I guess. Like when we do darshan, we form a line and there are folks that try to keep order and structure. There are no black suited security guys but the few times I've seen him walking the halls he wasn't alone. I know one person who rode in an elevator with him. He wasn't alone from what she said, but he spoke to her.

But yeah, hes not personally walking the crowd and stays pretty much out of the fray. Spin that as you will.

As far as goons, black suits, non chelas no, just staffers. And by the way, as a guy I am always impressed by the number of females at these events. Way above norm, its a pretty target rich environment : )
If you like spiritually minded, non new-agy, independently thinking, evolved consciousness, women that is.

Quote:
It sounds like he's all about the love until you stop giving him money.
Spin it as you will. I love my kids, but when one wanted t0 go do something stupid I got stern, a bit nasty, etc.
This is an area where your going to hear what you like. I know he also gets **** from folks when he stops taking someones money, kicks them off the path. Seems inconsistent with the he just want your money.

As best I can tell hes a stern kind of guy and is likely to point out stupid behavior as give you a hug, depending on what he thinks you need. He is certainly not a lovey dovey new age hippy dippy kind of guy, but I think Id enjoy having a beer, smoking s spliff, or watching a sunset with him.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
It was Gary himself that has told chelas not to associate with any chelas that have left the path.

It was Gary himself that has tried to impugn the integrity of at least one chela from his inner circle that finally saw the greed and hypocrisy of his scam. He also maligned other former chelas that had the balls to stand up to him.
Those are not facts, those are spins and your bigoted judgement.

There are two sides to every story, aren't there?

Di your man jesus ever get angry? was he ever short, express disapointement with his followers?
Did buddha? Id impugn end_of_faiths integrity all day long if she was, well has, said things that were factually incorrect, spun them, etc.

hell she called Steve Hassan and told lies about me, he wrote nasty things about me to friends of mine without even checking facts. accused me of stalking, etc. Yeah lets get into people impugn the credibility of others.

I don't think your would understand balance, unbiased and anything that doesn't support your bull**** if it hit you in the face
what twit.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:18 PM

47 posts, read 103,689 times
Wow, I have been following links searching for info on this Master Path deal for a while and stumbled in here. I had a feeling this was a bad deal when my sister told me about my niece going to one of the shastas or whatever they call it.

Thanks for the links and the insights.

My sister is not going to like this, and either do I.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:01 PM

By all means do your homework,

You should also check out Ric Ross website The Ross Institute Internet Archives for the Study of Destructive Cults, Controversial Groups and Movements and also factnet.org and again search for masterpath there. Cant believe you have a hard time finding stuff.

All in all you will find it a pretty harmless spiritual path, there are no cult sites that have it flagged as a destructive cult, although Ross, about 20 years ago said it had some flags I believe.

No reports of anyone needing deprogramming, of being chided in to giving up life savings, or kids put into slavery, no complaints of sexual abuse things like that.

Of course if you a serious Christian type you will find it quite offensive and worrisome. The teachings will fly in your face etc. I do hope your honest enough to direct your niece to this site and let her think for herself.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:52 PM

I have been to the Ross site and the fact.net site. The Ross site is the one that got me looking further. I saw the same allan1015 on the fact.net site, is that you, how long have you been an administrator their?

I was struck by the fact that the fact.net charges for people to post. So, I think that your advice would be low on my list of reliable.

I have seen a site that talked about some kid in Fargo that needed deprogramming, and the majority of what I have found is negative regarding Master Path. I was raised Christian but do not participate so that aspect does not bother me, it is more the sleaze factor that raises the red flag with me.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:39 PM

Factnet has been hacked and attacked several times, they guess by Church of Scientology as there is a high correlation to making post about CoS to the attacks. So they are now on servers and infrastructure that costs them more then your average website hosting. As donations were not covering their costs, they went to trying the pay-to-post approach. Wasn't their first choice and not mine. Just between a rock and hard place.

The fact that you take this as a demeaning to the years of work, help, effort of volunteers staff (like myself) is just another amazing piece of information about how judgmental people are. Sad really.

I am not an active admin there, I don't deal with the forum or the posts, content, etc. I am at the technology level, like managing the servers, data, implementing the pay-to-post coding etc. I am friends with members of the board and they asked for help. I support the anticult and helping objectives so I give them my time and expertise.

Did you notice the fargo kid deporgramming dates? Please correct me if wrong but it like 20/25 years ago. Imagine the environment when Gary started out back then, in that area, with parents in that culture, background etc. Fear Uncertainty and Doubt, FUD factor was ripe Im sure. Makes for great local news.

In any case, when I considered all the factors as well as noticed the absolute lack of such cases over the life time of MP,it was underwhelming evidence for me.

Gary may be less authentic then he claims, perhaps he lies, sleezy I guess you call it,m but there is no evidence or claims from even former chelas about brainwashing, mind control, or any such techniques.

There is a huge difference between a destructive and harmful cult and one with a teacher who has some human failings. Not saying you should accept either, just trying to keep facts straight.

If you don't mind me asking, how old is your niece? I've been surprised and a bit impressed at the number of younger adults at the few satsangs I've attended. But I'm not sure personally how i feel about teenagers and such should be going this way.

What would you consider sleeze factor, or the most compelling sleeze factor.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:55 PM

Well, after reading a bunch of sites and all 40 pages of this thread, I guess I would have to say that it is people like you that try to rationalize almost every aspect of Master Path.

Cult experts are pretty prevalent in saying that Master Path is not the kind of organization that has any real credibility.

It just seems to be all about money to me, and my sister (who I got researching this too) agrees.

I would not trust you with any information about my niece, you seem to be what we are trying to keep her away from.

Last edited by seamus_the_second; 07-10-2009 at 09:03 PM..

Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 PM

yeah ok, I'm evil and sleezy. I am also a pedophile, rapist, I deal drugs and have aids and spit on anyone I can. I murdered 5 people just last week, and dont let it out I am also a vampire and suck the blood from little boys especially.

Wow. Aside from representing my side of this and going out there and documenting my own experience, my truth, adn I guess doing what you call reationalizing - have I lied? have I been sleezy, attacking, things like that?

What kind of person was it you were trying to keep your niece away from? Intelligent, honest, upfront, or just those that dont agree with you?

I do hope your niece is underage, in which case I would keep her away from any heavy religious path anyway. But if shes not, you'll point her here and let her make up her own mind, wont you.

As aside, could you point out the best piece of rationalization I've done? well perhaps best isn't the right word, the most classic, or obvious.

Last edited by allan1015; 07-10-2009 at 09:36 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 01:52 PM

Geez Allan, I am not sure why you are so hostile, but your bizarre response confirms my suspicions. I would have to say it was the totality of all your circuitous posts. You berate others for not answering questions, and yet you do not seem to.

To all the others here, thank you. My sister has done more work than me on this and we now know enough to understand how to deal with this.

For any others that are unsure I would suggest checking out the David Lane and Rick Ross sites.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:42 PM

Not sure why I am hostile? You told me I was a danger to your niece. jeez Most of the first part was sarcasm. Apparently that wasn't as apparent as I thought

Was I hostile or perhaps just defensive? Im not perfect, but I am honest.

Did you observe the way you see me as berating people for not answering questions? DeepCynic has called me spineless, gutless, sent me private messages chiding/insulting me for not answering his one question. Yet since he is on your side, that goes past you and you choose to see me as the one doing the berating.

Amazing how the human mind can play such games. I was in a discussion about Sara Palin last night, the popularity she has in part sof the country just exemplifies how drastically different people can be about one subject. Some folks truly see her as an american hero, intelligent leader, etc. Others see her for shallow and empty. and both sides are fervent in their beliefs. Same person, same data, extremely opposite conclusions

Look in the end you and most others are only interested in hearing what they expect to hear, seeing what they expect to see. The idea that you see me as angry, berating and not the ones throwing insults, making bigot judgements, simply because they support your position. is one small example of this.

Actually it occurs to me that you are just DeepCynic coming under another account

Last edited by allan1015; 07-12-2009 at 04:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality