Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:04 PM

175 posts, read 424,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
It's more the "path to God" part that is troublesome. Sure, I could go to any kind of temple, church, meditation center or whatever and they would expect money. That's fine. But when the head of that place is an individual who himself (the individual) is an elevated personality and is receiving the bulk of the money (don't know if this is the case with Olsen although the elevated personality part is obvious) - then I see a problem. It is the combination of the factors that seems like a red flag - not just the money.

I can see why you would be exasperated. Really the "sign" is that the disgruntled ex-members are vocal in the first place. Why is that? Then when supporters try to emphatically deny the exs a web of unanswered questions is created. Have you ever followed a "debate" between a current Jehovah's Witness and an ex-JW? This thread is kinda the same thing.

Thank you for your neutral objectivity in this thread. I really enjoyed it, and thought about it a great deal.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:48 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,038,902 times
Default Silliness or naivete

I am dumbfounded that there are people that believe in a scam artist like Gary Olsen!

Have you no sense or objectivity? This crook and his sham 'religion' is so transparent it is laughable!

By definition Master Path is a cult. Gary Olsen is the object of veneration by a bunch of sheep that pay dues that give him a cushy life while he plagiarizes long standing religious tomes and passes that off has 'his' way.

You are all fools!

Go drink his Kool-Aid!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I've heard of this "Master Path" thing and can't decide if it's good or bad, and whether or not I should be worried if somebody close to me is involved.

Sure sounds suspect...a 'self appointed' guru from Fargo....that's almost enough to tell me he's a fraud, along with preliminary search results on 'Master Path' and 'Gary Olsen'.

Anyone heard of this thing - good, bad, or indifferent?
It IS a fraud! Your first impression is correct! Do not listen to folks like allan, he is perpetuating this scam. He is either on the payroll or is so deluded that he actually believes this fiction.

Think of all the dangerous cults you have read about and compare the similarities...

Old 03-22-2009, 01:11 PM

175 posts, read 424,833 times
To: Allan,

Sounds like you are a good student. I wish you well.

Gary's parting words to me: "You are defiant, too much your own person, a 'unique case,' too independent, have your own idea of things, never been able to break you, have always been a problem for me, have never been able to get you to comply with what I want 100%.' Plus much more that I'll spare sharing.

So, though you assume to know the intimate nature of my journey, I'm most certain that you do not.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:42 PM

309 posts, read 580,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Do not listen to folks like allan, he is perpetuating this scam. He is either on the payroll or is so deluded that he actually believes this fiction.
Are those the only two options?
Firstly, if MP actually paid people to worry about online discussion boards, and the best they could do was me - why worry about the organization at all they obviously are not effective

As to my being deluded, what can I say. Is there a test or something I can take to verify my sanity for you? Or is just anyone that doesn't agree with you deluded by definition?

What I am, well I am just a man, standing in front of a girl... whoops wrong movie...

I am just a man that is speaking his heart about MP experiences to date, and I'm also a man that seems to get irritated by such low standards folks like you use to brand something a destructive cult, basically slander and probably are just afraid.

Quote:
By definition Master Path is a cult
Ahh dude, there are no definitions of cult, the best is some cult experts have guidelines, checks list that if someone has alot of marks 'might' indicate a cult. NO cult experts has a list that says if Org-A does this then they are a cult.

See its that kind of cynic and emotion and frankly dumbess that makes me want to point it out to you.

lets see -this is cynics definiton of a cult

Quote:
object of veneration by a bunch of sheep that pay dues that give him a cushy life while he plagiarizes long standing religious tomes and passes that off has 'his' way.
So like the Pope is the head of cult? Sounds like Mohammed was as well.

But, hey you know if people like your kind of deep, penetrating, thoughtful analysis, (sarcasm intended) then by definition MP isn't for you anyway.

Last edited by allan1015; 03-22-2009 at 02:03 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by end_of_faith View Post
To: Allan,

Sounds like you are a good student. I wish you well.

... So, though you assume to know the intimate nature of my journey, I'm most certain that you do not.
Actually I don't consider myself the best of students. I've had other chelas question my sincerity, devotion - but hey thats their hang up.

No I don't assume to know the nature of your experience, not in any detail, I just know what you posted. I may also be seeing things your not aware of.

I can imagine though, being there in the 'early' days, having a personal relationship with someone you thought was God incarnate. Finding out he is a man, as well. Perhaps thinking, just a bit, that you were special, had an inside track and all.

As side from being there early, I imagine it was very different to have friends and others that were from 'headquarters' - for me, being in DC, the experience is much more individual, my relationships with other chelas are online for the most part.

In any case my intention was not to discount your experience, I do see where your current position can arise, I can see where it could be more about you then the conclusions you want to present about Gary, but hey the only real thing I can add is my personal experience and knowledge.

Blessings with you what ever journey you take from here.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:13 PM

Yes allan, I believe that Catholicism is a cult.

I do not need deep analysis to know that Master Path is a sham, I will leave the definition of cult alone. MP is a sham, scam, fraud, you name it.

Gary Olsen preys on naive souls to better his own life not theirs!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:18 PM

So I am a naive soul?
I mean I guess the only way for you to be right, is to see me as deluded, naive, brainwashed, etc.

I would ask, seeing that you see the pope and roman catholic church as you do, what are your religious or spiritual beliefs, not a long version, but do you have a practice you follow, or a set of loose rules you feel are right, or pretty much agostic? New Agey - Like Neale Walsch, Chopra, Dyer

Mostly I am just wondering what you might reference as religious/spiritual that isn't a fraud?

Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 PM

My personal spiritual beliefs are mine and none of your business, because I do not espouse them to others.

I rail on frauds like Gary Olsen and Master Path because I am a rational human being, and see nothing but Gary Olsen being enriched by Master Path.

Organized religion has a long history of abuse and I see most of it as fraudulent. What good I see in 'religion' are the few committed people that use the church as a conduit for helping the less fortunate.

Most true believers do this quietly, feeding the needy in soup kitchens, bringing meals and companionship to the elderly and generally giving of themselves selflessly.

This occurs in religions that I distain, but I laud the individuals.

Gary Olsen perpetrates a fraud on his followers because he is unoriginal, greedy and a hypocrite.

Last edited by deepcynic; 03-22-2009 at 03:06 PM..

Old 03-22-2009, 06:33 PM

Ok, so as a person who feels qualified to slander the beliefs of others you don't think its fair to be transparent and honest about your own beliefs. Frankly your credibility is sinking with each post.

These are your beliefs:
---true believers give of them self selflessly and help the less fortunate
---Organized religion ... I see most of it as fraudulent

So pretty much you discount most organized religions and I would suspect and path with a Guru/student kind of model, because they dont fit your beliefs.

Thats cool, I just think its a bit of honesty and transparency to be up front that your 'bias' and 'issues' are larger then MP, and non specific for the most part. Your not against just MP or Sri Gary, your against a vast amount of religious and spiritual tradition - probably against the practices of a few billion souls. Again, not passing any judgment just think its proper that your credentials/biases for yoru facts and opinions be part of your discussion.

"I see nothing but ..."
Oh come on, thats sorta self fullfilling isn't it? You see what you expect to see.
I'm right here, Im telling you I am being enriched by MP, that people I know are expressing the same.
Do you not see me, hear me? Or do you just discount me and others out of hand, as we don't fit your end result?

Where have you looked? What data do you have about the flow of finances, who gets what shares etc? Do you think all gurus are frauds as well as all or most organized religions?

"Gary Olsen perpetrates a fraud on his followers because he is unoriginal, greedy and a hypocrite"

Well there you have it. Actually I find his view and methods/teaching on the old light and sound teachings to be quite refreshing, adapted perhaps but I would not likely follow the path with all of the old Indian culture stuff wrapped into it. I've no issue that other paths share the same core metaphysics.

As far as greedy and hypocrite, well those are your unfounded, unproven and subjective findings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality