Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 06:38 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times

Advertisements

Eh, I don't see how people can find a Darwin fish so offensive. I do wonder though what would happen to the car of a person who put this sticker on their bumper and drove around the Bible-Belt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 06:56 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Eh, I don't see how people can find a Darwin fish so offensive. I do wonder though what would happen to the car of a person who put this sticker on their bumper and drove around the Bible-Belt.
Try it and let us know

Old 09-24-2008, 06:58 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,172,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Try it and let us know
Eh, I'm not gay, but I'm sure if you look around, you can find somebody who is and willing to do it.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:22 PM

2 posts, read 2,953 times
The fish on my cars grew legs and says evolution, the one on my boat says N-Chips in side the fish. It means that the eveloution has even been at work on the jesus fish.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:00 PM

185 posts, read 404,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
... what is the real meaning if any of these symbols?
Ignorance, plain and simple.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:52 PM

285 posts, read 535,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I keep seeing a symbol for fish on cars but do not know what they mean?
I know it some type of Christianity type symbol but what is the real meaning if any of these symbols?
This one is easy.

The fish sticker on cars means that christians are suckers for over priced and totally useless merchandise.

Dont believe me?

Well then why is everything in the christian store twice the price?

Good christians get your wallets out.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,988 times
Default We can afford it

Everything I have I owe to Him, So I can afford it. I will pray for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahteist2 View Post
This one is easy.

The fish sticker on cars means that christians are suckers for over priced and totally useless merchandise.

Dont believe me?

Well then why is everything in the christian store twice the price?

Good christians get your wallets out.

Old 10-21-2011, 12:48 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott southwick View Post
Everything I have I owe to Him, So I can afford it. I will pray for you
No, everything you have you owe to luck, circumstance and elbow grease.

Old 10-21-2011, 01:01 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
ahteist2: Did you mean to spell your screen name that way or is it just a huge typo?

Old 10-21-2011, 02:12 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
Well doing a bit of research on it and looking as to it's meaning, here's what I found.

Objects dated as far back as the second century have been found bearing the symbol of the fish and the Greek word for fish, ICHTHÝS. This is understood by many as a cipher for the greek expression "Iesous CHristos THeou Yios Soter" meaning, "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior".

But I guess the real question is, Is it really a Christian symbol? Take a look at what is commented on here in "The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible". According to it the fish frequently appear in ancient pagan symbolism, often apart from water scenes.

"In such cases it would seem to have symbolic significance, possibly to represent diety, power, fecundity, etc.

Then it goes on to say that certain Jews adopted the use of the fish symbol from pagan religious customs and added, "It is probable that the considerations mentioned [in this regard] account in part for the appearance of the fish in the art of the oldest Christian catacombs. How early the Greek word for 'fish' (ichthýs) came to be interpreted as a cipher for 'Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior' . . . we do not know; but once this identification was made, the fish became a standard Christian symbol."

The Bible however sets forth no standard symbol for Christianity, so this like the Cross appears to have come around as symbolic icons sometime around the forth century.

Here's an interesting link on the net explaining it's beginning.

Holy??
I find it interesting also that the fish is the symbol for the astrological sign of Pisces. Each astrological age lasts around 2000 years. We are entering the age of Aquarius (water bearer/knowledge) around now. Jesus would have been in the age of Pisces (fish/spirituality) coming out of the age of Aries (Ram/war). Then before that would be the age of Taurus (Bull).

Interesting to see the worshipping/gods of those ages. Sacrificial lambs/rams, then before that was worshipping golden calves etc.

See the pattern?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_age
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality