U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-23-2008, 07:18 AM

21,504 posts, read 35,372,912 times
Default What do the fish on cars mean

I keep seeing a symbol for fish on cars but do not know what they mean?
I know it some type of Christianity type symbol but what is the real meaning if any of these symbols?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-23-2008, 07:37 AM

6,482 posts, read 7,904,720 times
It's the Icthys and translated from Greek it means fish. It was used as a "secret" symbol amongst early Christians.

You can read the rest here.

Unread 09-23-2008, 07:51 AM

7,555 posts, read 5,519,843 times
See also
The Fish Wars-- Part 1

Unread 09-23-2008, 08:09 AM

2,256 posts, read 3,171,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I keep seeing a symbol for fish on cars but do not know what they mean?
I know it some type of Christianity type symbol but what is the real meaning if any of these symbols?
Well doing a bit of research on it and looking as to it's meaning, here's what I found.

Objects dated as far back as the second century have been found bearing the symbol of the fish and the Greek word for fish, ICHTHÝS. This is understood by many as a cipher for the greek expression "Iesous CHristos THeou Yios Soter" meaning, "Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior".

But I guess the real question is, Is it really a Christian symbol? Take a look at what is commented on here in "The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible". According to it the fish frequently appear in ancient pagan symbolism, often apart from water scenes.

"In such cases it would seem to have symbolic significance, possibly to represent diety, power, fecundity, etc.

Then it goes on to say that certain Jews adopted the use of the fish symbol from pagan religious customs and added, "It is probable that the considerations mentioned [in this regard] account in part for the appearance of the fish in the art of the oldest Christian catacombs. How early the Greek word for 'fish' (ichthýs) came to be interpreted as a cipher for 'Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior' . . . we do not know; but once this identification was made, the fish became a standard Christian symbol."

The Bible however sets forth no standard symbol for Christianity, so this like the Cross appears to have come around as symbolic icons sometime around the forth century.

Here's an interesting link on the net explaining it's beginning.

Holy??

Unread 09-23-2008, 08:21 AM

4,885 posts, read 6,777,408 times
I like this fish:

Darwinfish.com (http://www.darwinfish.com//catalog/product_info.php?products_id=31&osCsid=08749c7c32a 73ce7a6170f1f129f001a - broken link)

Unread 09-23-2008, 08:31 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,430,040 times
Many Christian put them on their cars. I would to, but I am so tight with money I can't think of buying any trinkets. I have a "God bless America" sticker on my back windshield, which I was given for free.

Unread 09-24-2008, 06:56 AM

21,003 posts, read 24,889,263 times
It is not a Biblical symbol.

Perhaps in memory of Jesus' miracle feeding a large crowd with fish? Though it was not used until a century after Jesus' death. So non of the people who saw the fish miracle would have yet been alive when it came into popularity.

My church sees a far greater symbology in the dove. When Jesus was baptised by John, the holy spirit descended as a dove and in-filled Jesus, which began Jesus' earthly ministry.

Unread 09-24-2008, 08:11 AM

3,031 posts, read 5,136,088 times
Darwin fish are cool. However, I've had several of them damaged or physically removed from my vehicle by people who for some reason took offense. Look, I don't tear off or deface your "Jesus Saves" or "Honk for Jesus" or "It's Not A Choice, It's a Baby" bumperstickers or your Christian fishy-thing, don't rip off my Darwin fish.

Unread 09-24-2008, 08:28 AM

10,517 posts, read 8,422,570 times
Why do you feel the need to have stangers on the freeways know your thoughts and beliefs? Smells fishy to me.

Unread 09-24-2008, 08:59 AM

7,555 posts, read 5,519,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Why do you feel the need to have stangers on the freeways know your thoughts and beliefs? Smells fishy to me.
Probably for the same reason for presidential election bumper stickers. Is it a problem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality