Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,185,132 times

Advertisements

Assuming there was a Jesus, he died because he was a perceived threat to the Romans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 01:34 AM

234 posts, read 238,347 times
The question of the OP asks "why did Jesus die for us?" I will attempt to answer this, although because God is God, any attempt on my part will be but a dull representation of the truth.

There was a story told me long ago, which I have no reason to believe false, of twins, who shared a room in San Francisco in the early 1900’s. They had emigrated from China, and were making their way in the new world. One evening, one of the brothers was returning home and got involved in a fight. Knives were drawn and the ensuing battle ended with the brother running from the scene, soaked in blood, and leaving behind the body of his assailant lying in the street. Panic stricken, and knowing that the law would soon be in pursuit, he dashed home, cleaned himself up, stashed the bloody clothes in the corner of the closet and fled town.
Later, his twin came home from work and after his evening supper, went to bed. It was not long however before a loud knock on the door disturbed him. Opening the door to the police he innocently ushered them inside, and after a quick search of the room and finding the incriminating evidence in the closet, the police had no hesitation in making an arrest. The now handcuffed twin quickly perceived the true nature of the events which had transpired that evening leading to his arrest yet he said nothing, nor made any protest. Out of love, loyalty and devotion to his brother he went through the trial, was found guilty, and accepted the death penalty in his brother’s stead.
Some time later, the fugitive brother discovered to his dismay what had happened. Filled with remorse, guilt, and shame he presented himself to the police and confessed his crime. The police at this time were unable however to do anything. As far as the law was concerned, justice had been satisfied. This story is a powerful analogy of what Jesus did for you and me.

Adam and Eve were warned that if they disobeyed, death would result. If they obeyed, they would live forever. They disobeyed, and man's nature became corrupted. All their descendants have inherited that same corrupt nature, and are sinners. We all have sinned, every one of us, and because of this, we all die. Death is the natural consequence of sin. Not because God arbitrarily ordains it to be so, but sin separates man from God, and because we are therefore separated from the only source of all life, then we inevitably die.
Motivated solely by love, God had no intention of leaving man to die without hope. It is the extent of the love of God that I cannot understand, but can only come close to understanding when I look at Calvary.So He sent His only Son to take upon Himself the guilt, shame, and burden of every sin committed by every man, woman, and child and accept the death, the complete estrangement from His Father God, and the loss of all hope in eternal life that man deserves for his rebellion and sin.
If we accept first our own sinful nature (not hard when we look around us) and our own personal contribution to the lawlessness and crime that fills this earth, recognising that our sin and transgression against the laws of God justifiably should mean our own death, and believe that Jesus accepted that death on our behalf by taking the burden of sin upon Himself, then God looks upon us as if we had never sinned. We are free from the guilt of our own sin; Jesus, like the twin in the story, accepting it in our stead.
The story does not end there however. The tomb is empty. The enemies of the new faith (and there were many) would have produced the body if they could and Christianity would have died in its infancy, if the resurrection was not true. On the 3rd day Jesus rose from the dead. He was personally not guilty of any sin. He was the only human being ever to have lived His entire life without transgressing one of God's laws, therefore death could not hold Him. This is the Christian hope. Because Jesus rose, we believe we shall also according to the promises Jesus made to all who believed.
Nor does it end there. Because Jesus lives, He is able to give power for the believer to live as Jesus lived, a life of holiness and love. This however does not happen overnight. It is a lifetime of growth and settling into truth. A lifetime of learning, with mistakes and stumbles s along the way, (and I've made more than a few) but God is faithful and if we confess our weaknesses and sin, He forgives us and empowers us to carry on. The Christian lives by faith. Faith in a loving personal God and Saviour who cares deeply for His children and is ever present and willing to help in time of need.
When we accept Christ into our lives, we become new creatures. We are what the Bible calls 'born again'. We are given a new direction to live. We literally change through the power of God. We love what we formerly hated, and hate what we formerly loved. Our attitudes, our hopes, our ambitions, our priorities, our relationships, our whole perspective of life takes on a fresh and new and joyful note that can never be forgotten or denied.

That my friends, is the gospel. It is the good news that despite our waywardness and rebellious natures, we can be made anew, born again into God's kingdom and have real assurance of eternal life.

Old 04-28-2011, 10:27 PM

63,804 posts, read 40,077,272 times
There was no price to pay . . . there was no atonement . . . there was the need for one of us to attain "perfect resonance" (= Identity) with God consciousness in a HUMAN consciousness . . . which NONE of us were capable of achieving (sin). Our species would have remained eternally separated from God because of our failures (sins) . . . but Jesus removed that separation and ALL human consciousness now has a connection to God through Christ's human consciousness as part of the collective human consciousness.

His torture and death was inevitable during the era in which He brought His message of acceptance and "love of God and each other." The barbaric religious leaders were expecting (and demanding) a wrathful, smiting King and God to lead them out from under the Roman rule. Jesus was NOT who they expected nor who they would allow to influence the people. Even Judas believed in such a smiting powerful God . . . so he was convinced that Jesus would be forced to display His godly powers once they tried to scourge and kill Him. God and Jesus knew what they would do to Him . . . but neither of them (least of all Jesus) required it or demanded it. He endured it out of perfect love for us ALL because "we knew not what we did."

Old 04-29-2011, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
There was no price to pay . . . there was no atonement . . . there was the need for one of us to attain "perfect resonance" (= Identity) with God consciousness in a HUMAN consciousness . . . which NONE of us were capable of achieving (sin). Our species would have remained eternally separated from God because of our failures (sins) . . . but Jesus removed that separation and ALL human consciousness now has a connection to God through Christ's human consciousness as part of the collective human consciousness.
This teaching does not come from the Bible, therefore it isn't Christian. Religious certainly, but from what source? Maybe you can provide selective quotes from the Bible to support your theory, but in order to apply them to the above, you must ignore other scripture.
Taking selective verses and ignoring others has resulted in more heretical teachings, denominations, perversions, cults, counterfeits and frauds than I could number. Your new age mysticism is but one example among many.

My apologies to the writer of the OP, the following is my answer to Mystic's spiritualistic inventions.

John 1:1-5,14 ¶ In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men.¶ And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.... And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Phil. 2:5-11 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Rom.3:24-26 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Rom. 8:1-4, 32.¶ There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh: That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit..... He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

1 John 2:1-4 ¶ My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. ¶ And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Isa 8:20 To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakelite View Post
This teaching does not come from the Bible, therefore it isn't Christian. Religious certainly, but from what source? Maybe you can provide selective quotes from the Bible to support your theory, but in order to apply them to the above, you must ignore other scripture.
Taking selective verses and ignoring others has resulted in more heretical teachings, denominations, perversions, cults, counterfeits and frauds than I could number. Your new age mysticism is but one example among many.
Not ignore other scripture . . . remove the contradictions in scripture that are the result of our ancestors' superstitions and ignorance about God and His true nature. My interpretation makes perfect sense and is completely consistent both with the true nature of God and the events as incorrectly interpreted by our ignorant ancestors. It comes from the scriptures properly divided using the true nature of God as revealed by Jesus. Your version uses an erroneous and corrupt nature of God riddled with human psychological weaknesses assigned to Him by our ignorant ancient ancestors. Your retention of that ignorance does no justice either to the scriptures nor to God.
Quote:
My apologies to the writer of the OP, the following is my answer to Mystic's spiritualistic inventions.
They are not inventions but they are (as we are told to do) the result of reading the scriptures SPIRITUALLY NOT CARNALLY (or worldly . . . as you do). I use these SAME verses to validate and support my views, brakelite . . . when they are properly interpreted with extensive knowledge, hermeneutic discipline, and critically examined psychologically, sociologically, culturally, anthropologically, and linguistically. You and all the fundamentalists are free to retain the ancient ignorance of our ancestors as a sign of your faith . . . I prefer to listen to what God has "written in our hearts" and where the "mind of Christ" and His Holy Spirit led me in my 40+ years long quest to understand God.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:25 PM

591 posts, read 641,369 times
Buddha's wisdom was such that he knew that to aid in someone through a spiritual rebirth, it takes guidance and compassion. Hence the Tebetan Book Of THe Dead. Christians absorb the deity of Christ in his death, and they have him as a source of compassion and guidance through the same in-betweens(death-to-life) as in TTBOTD. The NT is God's TBOTD.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Not ignore other scripture . . . remove the contradictions in scripture that are the result of our ancestors' superstitions and ignorance about God and His true nature. My interpretation makes perfect sense and is completely consistent both with the true nature of God and the events as incorrectly interpreted by our ignorant ancestors. It comes from the scriptures properly divided using the true nature of God as revealed by Jesus. Your version uses an erroneous and corrupt nature of God riddled with human psychological weaknesses assigned to Him by our ignorant ancient ancestors. Your retention of that ignorance does no justice either to the scriptures nor to God. They are not inventions but they are (as we are told to do) the result of reading the scriptures SPIRITUALLY NOT CARNALLY (or worldly . . . as you do). I use these SAME verses to validate and support my views, brakelite . . . when they are properly interpreted with extensive knowledge, hermeneutic discipline, and critically examined psychologically, sociologically, culturally, anthropologically, and linguistically. You and all the fundamentalists are free to retain the ancient ignorance of our ancestors as a sign of your faith . . . I prefer to listen to what God has "written in our hearts" and where the "mind of Christ" and His Holy Spirit led me in my 40+ years long quest to understand God.
You are treating God's word as if it was written only for the intellectual. As if only the modern critical university educated self sufficient academics can understand it. Sorry, but God did not produce the Bible solely for the benefit of doctors, professors, and the 'learned'. Opinions of such are as numerous and as discordant as the churches which they represent. I accept neither one nor all as evidence of any part of religious truth. The scriptures say "To the law and the testimony; if they do not speak according to this word, there is no light in them" (Isa 8:20)
Before accepting any doctrine and precept I recommend to all that they seek a "Thus saith the Lord" in its support.
So true were the words of Paul when he said that "in the latter days some shall depart from the faith giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils."
You make the very same mistake as the papacy has been making for 1500 years. You place your opinion above the word of God. What doesn't meet or gel with your own opinion you interpret as others 'ignorance'. You claim to have the mind of Christ, yet you discard what God has graciously revealed to you regarding His nature and character as evidenced in His word and have fashioned Him after your own image and likeness.

I agree with your frequent assertions that Jesus came to give mankind a demonstration of the true nature of God; reason being because man had been deceived concerning God and grossly misunderstood His true character and nature. What I disagree with is that their misunderstanding came from the OT. I would remind you of the incident when Jesus spoke to the two disciples on the road to Emmaus. He gave them a Bible study, using the OT as the basis for identifying Himself to them. He could have just shown them the scars or worked a miracle or whatever, but know, He used the Bible as the basis or foundation that they must put their faith in. Likewise with the Pharisees saying: Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
The scriptures are written for the common man. They testify to the true nature of God. Part of that nature (I suspect the part you have most difficulty with) is His retributive justice. While I agree that there are incidents in the OT that superficially appear to render the character of God as despotic and cruel, they can be understood when seen in the light of a loving protecting Father, who's ultimate goal is to rid the universe entirely of sin, and those who cleave to it. The destruction of entire cultures were accomplished only when all other avenues for redemption were gone. If not nipped in the bud so to speak these cultures would have grown without restriction and infected all.
Sorry to disillusion you but man is incapable in his own power to overcome sin. He is so corrupted that only through complete surrender to the power of God can man attain to righteousness, and express the love that you rightly claim is God's intention for mankind. And when man refuses to submit, making himself his own god, destruction is the only viable alternative; not however an alternative that God wants to resort to (the scriptures call it His strange act), but one He must in the end need to to protect the rest of His creation. Sin is a malignant cancer that infects everything and everyone it touches. A virus that can only be defeated through death. Any man who does not accept the death of Christ as his substitutionary redemptive atonement, and dies without that acceptance, has died in his sin and must take upon himself that which Christ offered but which he refused. But unlike Christ, because of sin, there will be no resurrection. No hope.
Living in a rural community I have known people who have had to destroy their dogs because they have either gotten into a bad habit of worrying sheep or have been infected with a dangerous infecting disease. They loved their dogs, evenm to death, and no-one could have separated them from that love, which is why they would not take any offer but to do the act themselves. An act done to protect the healthy. All motivated by love, both for the infected dog and the sheep, and for the healthy dogs.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brakelite View Post
You are treating God's word as if it was written only for the intellectual. As if only the modern critical university educated self sufficient academics can understand it. Sorry, but God did not produce the Bible solely for the benefit of doctors, professors, and the 'learned'. Opinions of such are as numerous and as discordant as the churches which they represent. I accept neither one nor all as evidence of any part of religious truth. The scriptures say "To the law and the testimony; if they do not speak according to this word, there is no light in them" (Isa 8:20)
Before accepting any doctrine and precept I recommend to all that they seek a "Thus saith the Lord" in its support.
So true were the words of Paul when he said that "in the latter days some shall depart from the faith giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils."
You make the very same mistake as the papacy has been making for 1500 years. You place your opinion above the word of God. What doesn't meet or gel with your own opinion you interpret as others 'ignorance'. You claim to have the mind of Christ, yet you discard what God has graciously revealed to you regarding His nature and character as evidenced in His word and have fashioned Him after your own image and likeness.

I agree with your frequent assertions that Jesus came to give mankind a demonstration of the true nature of God; reason being because man had been deceived concerning God and grossly misunderstood His true character and nature. What I disagree with is that their misunderstanding came from the OT. I would remind you of the incident when Jesus spoke to the two disciples on the road to Emmaus. He gave them a Bible study, using the OT as the basis for identifying Himself to them. He could have just shown them the scars or worked a miracle or whatever, but know, He used the Bible as the basis or foundation that they must put their faith in. Likewise with the Pharisees saying: Joh 5:39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.
That is part of the proper division of scripture . . . the OT was precisely for that purpose to prophesy about Christ and provide the validations that would identify Him . . . NOT to retain the ignorant superstitious beliefs about God of our primitive ancestors (the veil of ignorance over the OT). Jesus came to lift that veil and reveal the True Nature of God knowing it would not be well-received and not believed because they expected a wrathful smiting God of vengeance. He was not disappointed . . . they scourged and crucified Him and He endured it with the love and forgiveness only God could possess. This was the most UNAMBIGUOUS demonstration of God's true nature possible . . . He smote no one.

But leave it to our ignorant savage ancestors to misinterpret it in the only way they could given their superstitious and savage beliefs about God and the need for blood sacrifices to Him to avoid His wrath! However, that in itself is understandable for that era. What is disturbing . . . is the acceptance and perpetuation of the absurd interpretation for over 2000+ years. It persists despite the evolution of intelligence, knowledge and understanding of the source of the negative human weaknesses ascribed to Jehovah by our ignorant ancestors. Its persistence is a conundrum I cannot understand . . . except as the basis to retain power and control.
Quote:
The scriptures are written for the common man. They testify to the true nature of God. Part of that nature (I suspect the part you have most difficulty with) is His retributive justice. While I agree that there are incidents in the OT that superficially appear to render the character of God as despotic and cruel, they can be understood when seen in the light of a loving protecting Father, who's ultimate goal is to rid the universe entirely of sin, and those who cleave to it. The destruction of entire cultures were accomplished only when all other avenues for redemption were gone. If not nipped in the bud so to speak these cultures would have grown without restriction and infected all.
::Sigh:: QED . . . You are right that scholarship and education is not necessary to understand the Gospel . . . but it is necessary to teach it . . . especially by properly dividing thee scriptures and acknowledging the unambiguous example and message of Christ. When read with the "mind of Christ" (NOT Jehovah) the message of "love God and each other" is unmistakable and the lessons in Good and Evil are recognized for what they are . . . lessons for us to use to practice discerning Good from Evil. The REAL Gospel is easily understood when compared to what is truly "written in our hearts" by God (NOT the rationalizations and excuses in the "precepts and doctrines of men" for why God would be so evil). The Truth of Christ's love for us ALL and His commands to "love God and each other" above all else is crystal clear and there is no basis for fear. Fear was for our savage ancestors. It was the beginning of wisdom (self-control) over their savage natures. We no longer need the schoolmaster or the fear.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:40 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
What Does It Mean When You Say That Jesus Died For Our Sins?

It means you are out of valid ideas and are scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
That is part of the proper division of scripture . . . the OT was precisely for that purpose to prophesy about Christ and provide the validations that would identify Him . . . NOT to retain the ignorant superstitious beliefs about God of our primitive ancestors (the veil of ignorance over the OT). Jesus came to lift that veil and reveal the True Nature of God knowing it would not be well-received and not believed because they expected a wrathful smiting God of vengeance.
Jesus did not come to correct the OT, He came to correct man's misunderstanding of the OT. The OT correctlty reveals God, but man had not rightly understood the complete picture.
It was Jesus Himself who instituted the sacrificial system; the services and feast days (the yearly Sabbaths) were all a pictorial demonstration of the gospel. But it was far from His intention that those sacrifices should become a "get out of jail free card" readily available grazing in the back paddock. Unfortunately, that is what they became. Which is why God said to Israel through His prophets,
Isaiah 1:11-20 To what purpose is the multitude of your sacrifices unto me? saith the LORD: I am full of the burnt offerings of rams, and the fat of fed beasts; and I delight not in the blood of bullocks, or of lambs, or of he goats. When ye come to appear before me, who hath required this at your hand, to tread my courts? Bring no more vain oblations; incense is an abomination unto me; the new moons and sabbaths, the calling of assemblies, I cannot away with; it is iniquity, even the solemn meeting. Your new moons and your appointed feasts my soul hateth: they are a trouble unto me; I am weary to bear them. And when ye spread forth your hands, I will hide mine eyes from you: yea, when ye make many prayers, I will not hear: your hands are full of blood. Wash you, make you clean; put away the evil of your doings from before mine eyes; cease to do evil; Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow. Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool. If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land: But if ye refuse and rebel, ye shall be devoured with the sword: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it.

The purpose of offering an innocent creature as an offering for sin was to turn the sinner away from sin. The sacrifice was intended to become so distasteful that forsaking sin would become an attractive alternative. But sin hardened the hearts of Israel, and the sacrificial system become corrupted and distorted. By the time of Jesus even the priests themselves had become so corrupt they murdered, vribed their way into their positions of power;they actually added so many superfluous laws and burdens to the law of Moses that the entire system had become corrupt and impossible to keep and observe so much so that the priests became rich with the number of offerings pouring in as a result of the people being unable to keep the Pharisaical laws.
Jesus refused to submit to the Rabbinical teachings and sought to clarify the true meaning of the law. The weekly Sabbath is a good example. Jesus did not come to do away with the law, but Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness’ sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.
So He did not come to do away with the Sabbath, but reveal how it ought to be kept. This was one of the real underlying reasons He was killed. The priests and rulers feared that Jesus' following would become so great that God's wrath would be poured out upon the nation because all the people would not be observing the Sabbath 'correctly' according to rabbinical tradition.
So Mystic, you are close to the truth, but you miss the true identity of who Jesus actually is. Of the coming of Jesus Isaiah described Him as The Lord our Righteousness. In Hebrew this is Jehovah Tsidkenu.

Quote:

He was not disappointed . . . they scourged and crucified Him and He endured it with the love and forgiveness only God could possess. This was the most UNAMBIGUOUS demonstration of God's true nature possible . . . He smote no one.
Agreed. But the God of the OT is the same.
Jer 9:24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD.

Jer 31:3 The LORD hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee.

Ho 2:19 And I will betroth thee unto me for ever; yea, I will betroth thee unto me in righteousness, and in judgment, and in lovingkindness, and in mercies.

Ex 34:6 And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,7 Keeping mercy for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin, and that will by no means clear the guilty; visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Quote:

But leave it to our ignorant savage ancestors to misinterpret it in the only way they could given their superstitious and savage beliefs about God and the need for blood sacrifices to Him to avoid His wrath! However, that in itself is understandable for that era. What is disturbing . . . is the acceptance and perpetuation of the absurd interpretation for over 2000+ years. It persists despite the evolution of intelligence, knowledge and understanding of the source of the negative human weaknesses ascribed to Jehovah by our ignorant ancestors. Its persistence is a conundrum I cannot understand . . . except as the basis to retain power and control.
Hebrews 1:1 ¶ God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;.......
......9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man......
......17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people......
.....2:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.....
.....3:1 ¶ For every high priest taken from among men is ordained for men in things pertaining to God, that he may offer both gifts and sacrifices for sins:....
.....7:22 By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament.
23 And they truly were many priests, because they were not suffered to continue by reason of death:
24 But this man, because he continueth ever, hath an unchangeable priesthood.
25 Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them.
26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens;
27 Who needeth not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people’s: for this he did once, when he offered up himself.....
.....9:12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?.....
22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission
23 ¶ It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality