Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 03:07 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times

Advertisements

I'm missing your POV about the film. Is the camp Satanic? Is taking over America right? Or is the film misguided?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Satan always like to see the Christian fall and many like to stand around and watch the show!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 04:05 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,440,404 times
Quote:
Yeah, the Middle East is full of supporters for Israel. Do you really think this religion stuff is all about being a good person. America supports Israel and that is about it and once we get a President in the White House that doesn't your people are in trouble in the middle east. Did you learn nothing about the Holocaust. If you think it could never happen again watch out what religions you tear down and the ones you bring up!!!
Dang, that sounded pretty hateful. Stop and think for a moment, who is Israels second best friend in the world.. Turkey, a Muslim Country.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:11 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I'm missing your POV about the film. Is the camp Satanic? Is taking over America right? Or is the film misguided?
I was just meaning now with his repution online just another stone for non-believers to throw saying look at those Christians preach one thing, do another and look now they want to take over America. I havn't seen the movie. So, it probably dosen't have a chance with believers and non-believers after his downfall. I believe even Christians who do wrong actually don't want to fail their just human.
Satan is just as much in this as God and he uses every opportunity to make a Christian look like the perfect sinner in the eyes of others.

Old 02-20-2007, 04:16 PM

But, I guess it had a chance it won an Oscar!! Oh, forget this one.I was thinking one thing and judging him on another. See were not perfect!!

Old 02-20-2007, 04:24 PM

As far as I understood it the film is not so much about Haggard as the camp itself. An independent Christian (woman) ran the camp; now closed. The camp's primary goal was to educate teens or young adolescents to "recapture" America for Christianity.

I fail, wildberries61, and I do so try, to understand how it has become popular to suggest that Christians get slammed. I know that is the subject of this thread, but the concept still eludes me. Although the country isn't solely Christian, it is primarily Christian and has the distinct advantage of majority!

Am I ignorant here in the Wild West?

Or are we confusing the increased involvement of the Christian Right Movement, its goals in over-stepping separation of church and state, and some public outcry at this potential infringement?

Quote:
I was just meaning now with his repution online just another stone for non-believers to throw saying look at those Christians preach one thing, do another and look now they want to take over America. I havn't seen the movie. So, it probably dosen't have a chance with believers and non-believers after his downfall. I believe even Christians who do wrong actually don't want to fail their just human.
Satan is just as much in this as God and he uses every opportunity to make a Christian look like the perfect sinner in the eyes of others.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
As far as I understood it the film is not so much about Haggard as the camp itself. An independent Christian (woman) ran the camp; now closed. The camp's primary goal was to educate teens or young adolescents to "recapture" America for Christianity.

I fail, wildberries61, and I do so try, to understand how it has become popular to suggest that Christians get slammed. I know that is the subject of this thread, but the concept still eludes me. Although the country isn't solely Christian, it is primarily Christian and has the distinct advantage of majority!

Am I ignorant here in the Wild West?

Or are we confusing the increased involvement of the Christian Right Movement, its goals in over-stepping separation of church and state, and some public outcry at this potential infringement?
I wouldn't say it's popular to slam Christians, it's more being aware that they are teased and some times put out because, of it. My son in 6th grade for some reason the kids got the idea that he was a Bible thumper. He has no problem sharing his love for Jesus if someone asks him he doesn't carry a Bible around or attend church regularly. He's more of a snowboarder/skateboarder and likes the Christian Heavy Rock. He really doesn't base his friends on weather they are Christians or not. Some of the kids decided they would call him church boy and Bible believing boy,Jesus freak and it was hard for him to make friends 6th grade was a little tough to get through.

Now he's in 8th grade and all those kids wish the girls liked them as much as they do him. Moms love having him around to be a good influence on their troubled sons most are single moms raising sons. He has been able to compete with these kids in sports and be just as good or better. He has won fitness of the year award 3 years in a row now and these are only given out to 3 kids in each grade per year. He still carries his faith for Jesus and the kids just know it 's who he is and he's not looking to change. With the way the world is it's not easy to be a Christian teenager and defiantly not cool!!

So I would disagree if you think Christians are not a part of attacks. There were 2 Christian kids run over by a Muslim cab driver yesterday. The girl in the Columbine High School shooting in Colorado died for her faith a bullet to the head. Do you not call this persecution,not a crime then, what do you call it? Christians need to continue to show love and compassion but, also know that not everyone believes in our ways and we are hated by many and some of the hate is very surprising.
We must protect our rights to worship as Christians we are just like all other religions that are asking for their rights but, now we are addressing keeping our rights!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:37 PM

Glad to hear your boy is doing well. It is always a pleasure for a mother to know she's done a good job and her children are a joy. Sorry of course to hear he didn't always have it easy!

I suppose our environments are so different but I've not encountered or witnesses any anti-Christian bashing. Yes, of course, the two incidents you name have been in the news, but on the whole, we hear and see more bashing of those that fall into minority categories.

Now, I'd never say don't protect your young, or forfeit your right to your beliefs, so we can agree on those two issues.

I think we seriously depart company on the notion that Christians, in general, are a target in this country. It is that notion that spurred this thread, and it is that notion that I grapple with even now that you've so kindly responded each and every time you've been asked a question or challenged.

As I said earlier, my own personal feelings are that the notion of right is might has interfered with my own tolerance!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:05 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,793,445 times
Anyone have cable? Of course you do...what a silly question. There is a documentary on HBO, I think, that is called "Friends of God:" If you have the opportunity, watch it. They are obviously trying to make evangelicals look ridiculous but I found it to be quite interesting as a Christian. And to add insult to injury, Ted Haggard is the main focus and at the end they post what seems to be a "warning" of sorts about Ted Haggards' fall from grace. Their mission was to discredit and "sillify" if you will mostly southern evangelicals, but I believe the girl doing the documentary (Pelosi?) came away with more questions than satisfaction. Mission accomplished.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:50 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
I wouldn't say it's popular to slam Christians, it's more being aware that they are teased and some times put out because, of it. My son in 6th grade for some reason the kids got the idea that he was a Bible thumper. He has no problem sharing his love for Jesus if someone asks him he doesn't carry a Bible around or attend church regularly. He's more of a snowboarder/skateboarder and likes the Christian Heavy Rock. He really doesn't base his friends on weather they are Christians or not. Some of the kids decided they would call him church boy and Bible believing boy,Jesus freak and it was hard for him to make friends 6th grade was a little tough to get through.

Now he's in 8th grade and all those kids wish the girls liked them as much as they do him. Moms love having him around to be a good influence on their troubled sons most are single moms raising sons. He has been able to compete with these kids in sports and be just as good or better. He has won fitness of the year award 3 years in a row now and these are only given out to 3 kids in each grade per year. He still carries his faith for Jesus and the kids just know it 's who he is and he's not looking to change. With the way the world is it's not easy to be a Christian teenager and defiantly not cool!!
I'm sorry if your son was teased, but isn't everyone teased for something? I was called fat, "fro-head", Little Orphan Annie (I have curly red hair), amazon woman, big-boobs, piggy, and so forth. And of course it wasn't easy being Jewish, even though there was a decent number of us. I remember in High School when a foreign-exchange teacher from Germany scheduled a test on Yom Kippur, then threatened to fail us for missing it... we took this up with the Principal, and he was actually sent back to Germany shortly afterward. (because of that & a few other incidents)

Grade school is a tough time, but I think we all come out better from it... hopefully it's only making his convictions stronger, and won't discourage him from being "true". I do applaud you for raising what sounds like a good kid, and I personally wouldn't have teased him for being a "Bible-thumper". Though if he was preaching to everyone, I could understand some kids reacting to that!

Quote:
So I would disagree if you think Christians are not a part of attacks. There were 2 Christian kids run over by a Muslim cab driver yesterday. The girl in the Columbine High School shooting in Colorado died for her faith a bullet to the head. Do you not call this persecution,not a crime then, what do you call it?
I call those sad crimes, but hardly a new thing to people of other religions... how many anti-Semitic acts have occurred, or violence against Muslims, especially following 9/11? I heard & saw too many incidents to mention, and this has gone on throughout history. It's not okay to "slam" or hurt anyone, Christian or otherwise, but I'm still not convinced that you're highly discriminated against.

Quote:
Christians need to continue to show love and compassion but, also know that not everyone believes in our ways and we are hated by many and some of the hate is very surprising.
We must protect our rights to worship as Christians we are just like all other religions that are asking for their rights but, now we are addressing keeping our rights!
Once again, welcome to the club! Maybe this is a "good" thing, as it's given you an understanding of what other religions & races have experienced... white Christians have always dominated this country, so it's not surprising you'd eventually get some backlash. As I've said before, this still doesn't excuse mistreating anyone, I just hope you realize this is what we've (non-Christians) gone through for 1000s of years. You have every right to protect yourself from discrimination, as long as you're not forgetting or persecuting others in the process.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Anyone have cable? Of course you do...what a silly question. There is a documentary on HBO, I think, that is called "Friends of God:" If you have the opportunity, watch it. They are obviously trying to make evangelicals look ridiculous but I found it to be quite interesting as a Christian. And to add insult to injury, Ted Haggard is the main focus and at the end they post what seems to be a "warning" of sorts about Ted Haggards' fall from grace. Their mission was to discredit and "sillify" if you will mostly southern evangelicals, but I believe the girl doing the documentary (Pelosi?) came away with more questions than satisfaction. Mission accomplished.
I saw that documentary, and actually mentioned it on another thread. I thought it was pretty good, since the filmmaker (yes, it was Alexandra Pelosi) remained neutral and fairly "invisible" during the process... that allowed her subjects to open up without being coerced, allowing us see what they were really about. While I wouldn't call any of it surprising, there was still some good stuff in there! Next I have to see "Jesus Camp", which sounds both fascinating and scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality