Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 10:46 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
No, most Christians, and you included, only seem to believe interpretations or evidence if it “supports” your beliefs. Any studies or research that contradicts your beliefs are immediately discarded as “false” or “an attempt to disclaim” your beliefs. You don’t even take the time to understand what the study or research was about.

No matter what the conclusion is, I take the time to understand the research, how it was done, and what evidence is used to support the conclusion, and hear/read any counter-claims so I can have a more informed opinion. I’m not guided in faith that my beliefs are infallible like others are. I subject all beliefs to the same test. Not like religions that only subject other beliefs systems to rigid tests but don’t want those same tests for their beliefs.
What don't you get they can test until hell freezes over but, if your a Christian you just chose to believe the inspired word of God. If we were to listen to these people tell us Jesus was not resurrected full body then, we would be in agreement with you!! Are faith tells us HE was resurrected on the third day we must believe this and scientist can only do so, much to try and answer this. For non-believers it must be important to think He didn't die on the Cross and He had a family for Christians this is untrue and your just following scientist who are willing to support you non belief.

Are you listening to the scholars and scientist who are coming forward believing this is false information??

Old 03-01-2007, 10:54 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post

What don't you get they can test until hell freezes over but, if your a Christian you just chose to believe the inspired word of God. If we were to listen to these people tell us Jesus was not resurrected full body then, we would be in agreement with you!! Are faith tells us HE was resurrected on the third day we must believe this and scientist can only do so, much to try and answer this. For non-believers it must be important to think He didn't die on the Cross and He had a family for Christians this is untrue and your just following scientist who are willing to support you non belief.

Are you listening to the scholars and scientist who are coming forward believing this is false information??
I am sure that he is listening but they are only giving information out of the bible not evidence and what has been found. Again faith and belief does not make it fact. No one is saying he wasnt resurrected or died on the cross. If the opposite can be proven well then that is what I will believe, if it isnt then I will come to my own conclusions. People really need to watch the show before they make up their minds.

Old 03-01-2007, 10:55 AM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
You mean am I listening to people who have reached a conclusion based on their beliefs before they even review the information or subject the conclusions to any tests? That’s like going to dinner and saying you don’t like the food before you even taste it. No, I’ll wait until I even see the show and see what their conclusions are and what the parameters of the study were before I "jump" to any conclusions.

Last edited by madicarus2000; 03-01-2007 at 11:06 AM..

Old 03-01-2007, 05:03 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times
Quote:
No Marks, you explained your position and quoted scriptures in a vacuum. I choose not to follow or believe in bigoted interpretations of a book. There are also scriptures that tell followers not to judge, yet you don’t seem to have a problem judging others.
What judging??

Old 03-01-2007, 09:45 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,061 times
Quote:
You mean am I listening to people who have reached a conclusion based on their beliefs before they even review the information or subject the conclusions to any tests? That’s like going to dinner and saying you don’t like the food before you even taste it. No, I’ll wait until I even see the show and see what their conclusions are and what the parameters of the study were before I "jump" to any conclusions.
Exactly this is like going to dinner and saying you don't like it before you taste it!!! What's the difference in saying this is not the Jesus of the Bible. They are trying to change the Christian belief. The Christian with out a doubt believes in the raisen Jesus. If Jesus didn't rise on the Third Day then, Christians would be done!! How long have Christians held on to this belief??? How many Christians have died for this belief?? So, if this is a Jesus it will be the Jesus of the non-believers, it won't be the Jesus Son of God!!

Old 03-01-2007, 09:55 PM

15 posts, read 72,087 times
Smile can you be gay and still a chritian

That is a good question My first thought when you state Christian I think of the teachings of Christ and the bible. Now taking that into consideration the bible does state a man should not lie with another man. And the story of Saddam and Gomorrah.
Now I consider myself a person of believing of life after death. i am very loving very forgiving. Deep individual. The bible is a book written by men. The times they were in are very different then our times we live in now. Let us say if the bible was written by Christians in 2007 It would also bring the gay community into it due too the fact of it is all around us now and who is too say it is wrong if two individuals love and respect one another and find life within each others present. In doing so have sexually relations. We are creatures of thought in saying that we all have this given right too love whom loves us no matter man or woman...........

Old 03-01-2007, 11:11 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynoggin View Post
That is a good question My first thought when you state Christian I think of the teachings of Christ and the bible. Now taking that into consideration the bible does state a man should not lie with another man. And the story of Saddam and Gomorrah.
Now I consider myself a person of believing of life after death. i am very loving very forgiving. Deep individual. The bible is a book written by men. The times they were in are very different then our times we live in now. Let us say if the bible was written by Christians in 2007 It would also bring the gay community into it due too the fact of it is all around us now and who is too say it is wrong if two individuals love and respect one another and find life within each others present. In doing so have sexually relations. We are creatures of thought in saying that we all have this given right too love whom loves us no matter man or woman...........
Your question: who is to say it is wrong? Well, actually God himself said it was wrong. It is a sin against nature and God. Homosexuality use to be considered a perversion NOT an alternative lifestyle like it is taught today by many. I am sorry but just because things have changed, people have changed does not mean that God's standards have changed. And good grief, homosexuality is nothing new, have you ever heard of the Greeks? Lesbos etc? Can gays go to Heaven? Sure, if they repent of their sin and try earnestly to follow Gods word, just like the rest of us.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:03 AM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynoggin View Post
You are the second person who has brought this up ... The bible was written by man....So I just wanted to add to that a little.

Yes, absolutely. Man wrote the Bible.
When you write a letter, do you write the letter or does the pen?
Obviously you do; the pen is merely the instrument you use.

God used men as instruments to write his "letter" to humanity.
They ranged from kings to fishermen, but the books of the bible were all given by inspiration of God.

Proof that this book is supernatural can be seen with a quick study of it's prophecies.

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamb to my feet
and a light for my path

* My belief*

Old 03-02-2007, 01:48 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
WHAT??? You lost me on this rambling post. . . But I am not at all surprised that you "don't care to answer the rest of your (my) comments" . And as far as being judgemental and pointing fingers, I think you are doing a pretty good job of that yourself.
And I'm not surprised that I "lost you", LOL... if you didn't understand my post, there's really nothing more I can explain. Bottom line, I don't believe homosexuality is a sin, nor does it make one less worthy of leading a congregation. Understand that??? And how exactly am I being judgmental?

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-02-2007 at 01:58 AM..

Old 03-02-2007, 01:52 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
So carolinajack, how do you treat your women? Do you follow the good book and not come to any interpretion but follow the literal text of:

“Timothy 2:11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.”

Is this your policy on divorce as provided by the bible:

“Deuteronomy 24:1 When a man hath taken a wife, and married her, and it come to pass that she find no favour in his eyes, because he hath found some uncleanness in her: then let him write her a bill of divorcement, and give it in her hand, and send her out of his house. 24:2 And when she is departed out of his house, she may go and be another man's wife”

When have you asked your legislature to add this to the list of crimes and punishments:

“Leviticus 20:10 And the man that committeth adultery with another man's wife, even he that committeth adultery with his neighbour's wife, the adulterer and the adulteress shall surely be put to death”
Oh, but those aren't supposed to be taken literally, since THEY might actually have to comply!! I love how some people pick & choose which parts of the Bible to follow... can we say hypocrisy? I've used that same argument in past discussions, but have yet to hear a real answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality