Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2007, 04:51 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,608,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
then they would not be in the word of God. Why would Paul carry out the word and work of God and it not be the truth of the Holy spirit? why would the word be written by an apostle of Jesus to just not be true? it is illogical. So why would any of it be true?

Jesus christ is either the Lord, a liar or a mad man. Paul states clearly he is an apostle of the Lord giveing the word and He points out where it is a command of God, as in the case of Ye must be born again to enter the Kinddom of God and 'I wish you were like me (unmarried and celibate to focusing soley on God and not have responsibilities to wife and kids). which is his feelings. Still that has nothing to do with Gods word not being Gods word.

The Bible is the Word of God, as it states in John 1:1 In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and teh word was God.
My point was, and is, that if Paul states his own personal opinion, on this, or any other subject, then his words cannot be God's words, anymore than your personal opinion, or mine, would be. Which simply means that not every word in the Bible is inspired of God. Of course, I'm just looking at Paul as though he were an ordinary human being, no different than you and I. You see him somewhat differently.

For those who don't believe in the Bible, telling them that the Bible says it is the word of God, is rather like myself claiming to be something that I cannot prove. Using the Bible to prove the Bible is kind of going around in circles. The thought that the Bible is His word, is based on faith, not proof. Which is fine, I'm not arguing against faith. I am just making observations. And, again, my point was merely that not every word in the Bible is God's, when someone else lays claim to said word. Probably someone better at debate could explain that better than I am able, though I know what I'm trying to say.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:54 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,019,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
no not for non believers they are to do it in the church before the Lord and since you are not supporting fellow christians and women then i dont think they are called to do that for you, lake

You defy the word of God. I weep for you.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:59 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,055,855 times
You are doing a fine job of explaining it. I certainly understand and actually posted a question about Paul and his veracity, but deleted it. It doesn't serve to change the course of the discussion because as you say, it is faith or proof and they don't add up to four!

I've always considered Paul the writer, and while he may have written his thoughts inspired by his faith, I don't believe God himself inspired him to write it. It is Paul's contribution to NT that probably raises the most questions for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
My point was, and is, that if Paul states his own personal opinion, on this, or any other subject, then his words cannot be God's words, anymore than your personal opinion, or mine, would be. Which simply means that not every word in the Bible is inspired of God. Of course, I'm just looking at Paul as though he were an ordinary human being, no different than you and I. You see him somewhat differently.

For those who don't believe in the Bible, telling them that the Bible says it is the word of God, is rather like myself claiming to be something that I cannot prove. Using the Bible to prove the Bible is kind of going around in circles. The thought that the Bible is His word, is based on faith, not proof. Which is fine, I'm not arguing against faith. I am just making observations. And, again, my point was merely that not every word in the Bible is God's, when someone else lays claim to said word. Probably someone better at debate could explain that better than I am able, though I know what I'm trying to say.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:01 PM

2,800 posts, read 9,987,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
These women here are twisting the word of God and trying to preach and make biblical pronouncements. Please be silent and shame-faced as the scriptures direct.
The only comments I can come up with here for you would not be very Christian like, therefore I will just keep them to myself...
However, REAL MEN, wouldn't make a comment such as this! Ok, so I couldn't keep it ALL to myself!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:03 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,849,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I am trying to understand, and see how the thoughts and ideas of others match my own or how they differ.
OTR, What happened here?? This thread had practically died and I leave for a few hours and come back with 4 pages to catch up on!!!

Anyway, of all the non-believers here, you seem to genuinely be asking for information. Many of the others seem to be in more of an 'attack' mode.

I know you know, but for those who don't, I am a Christian.

I don't know if this will make sense to a non-believer or not. But I'll try to explain my take on this whole issue:

There is only one condition to be a 'true' Christian (I hate that phrase) and that condition is accepting Christ's sacrifice on the cross for our sins and taking hold of Him as your Messiah. That's it, nothing more....

However, that life-changing event is then proved out in your life. I'm of the opinion that whatever you might have in your life that is contrary to God's teachings, you'd want to adjust and change. Jesus said, "If you love me, you will obey my commands." Now whether you are successful or not is immaterial.

Bottom line: it is the condition of the heart. God knows. The individual knows. And no one else can know. Only God and professing believer can know the extent to which they live to please God.

So maybe my answer is a non-answer. I'll refer you back to earlier posts I made in this same thread.

I will say this, the points I made in this thread about married folks were never responded to by any Christians. Not sure what that means but....

Old 04-26-2007, 05:04 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,608,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
You defy the word of God. I weep for you.
Actually, Lakewooder, Carolinajack knows his scripture better than you do. That passage is directed at Christian women, of a particular church, (can't remember which one, right off hand). It was not intended for non-believers, just as he stated.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
I've always considered Paul the writer, and while he may have written his thoughts inspired by his faith, I don't believe God himself inspired him to write it. It is Paul's contribution to NT that probably raises the most questions for me.
<I am gonna get blasted for this post. I know it's coming.>

If Paul's writings are a stumbling block, at least try and grasp the gospels. All you HAVE to know, is right there. Technically, I think you could live (forever) with just the Book of John, truth be told.

EDIT: Added 'forever'

Old 04-26-2007, 05:08 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,624,596 times
I need to ask, since I am not well versed in Christianity. Who is God? is it Jesus? or was Jesus God's son which is what I thought?

Old 04-26-2007, 05:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,019,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
The only comments I can come up with here for you would not be very Christian like, therefore I will just keep them to myself...
However, REAL MEN, wouldn't make a comment such as this! Ok, so I couldn't keep it ALL to myself!
Shh...I'm trying to bait them!

Old 04-26-2007, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I need to ask, since I am not well versed in Christianity. Who is God? is it Jesus? or was Jesus God's son which is what I thought?
Both. It's the Trinity. And it's as unexplainable as "Where does space end?"

So, those in attack mode (not you Nea1) before you throw the "ah ha"s in there, please come back with the explanation of both questions, Trinity and the Never-Ending Space.

One's faith, the other's science...both are equally unanswerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality