Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 02:44 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
...I've known people who switched from Catholic to Protestant, and vice versa. I've heard of people who switched from Christian to Muslim. How can we all be so right, and yet all be so wrong? :
The conversion that always makes me sit back and think is when a Christian converts to a Jew. Ok, I can understand if a Jew converts because he/she believes in Jesus and His diety...however, how does one convert to a Jew from being a "true Christian"? For example, I have heard of Christians converting to a Jew in order to marry someone. So what, do they all of the sudden decide NOT to believe in Jesus? Just doesn't make sense to me

Old 04-29-2007, 06:13 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Why is this such a conundrum?

Belief can be mutable, or pragmatic. If the person changes because their belief changes, one would assume some basic change occurred to permit their belief in Jesus to shift. If they change because of a pragmatic reason, marriage, they would be taught the Jewish faith, and follow Jewish rule, embracing another perspective.

It could just as easily be said, why did Paul become the man he was: he was Jewish!

But to truly understand why anyone converts, we'd have to ask them, not doubt them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawgpz550 View Post
The conversion that always makes me sit back and think is when a Christian converts to a Jew. Ok, I can understand if a Jew converts because he/she believes in Jesus and His diety...however, how does one convert to a Jew from being a "true Christian"? For example, I have heard of Christians converting to a Jew in order to marry someone. So what, do they all of the sudden decide NOT to believe in Jesus? Just doesn't make sense to me

Old 04-29-2007, 08:07 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,142,752 times
Quote:
I have to agree here. If you truly understand that Jesus is our Savior and died for us then how can you deny that? To me its like denying gravity exists.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:26 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,258,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I have to agree here. If you truly understand that Jesus is our Savior and died for us then how can you deny that? To me its like denying gravity exists.
I'm right there with you. To any Christian this is unfathomable. To believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God, and then to say, Oh, never mind, I don't. . . It just doesn't compute.
When I was young I was a member of a youth group, and one of the "leaders", a law student eventually married a very wealthy Jewish girl and converted to Judaism. I must say that the few people I know who "changed" because I don't say convert did it because of marriage, and I must add they were wedding extremely wealthy girls.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:28 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Why the emphasis on weathy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I'm right there with you. To any Christian this is unfathomable. To believe that Jesus is the Christ the Son of God, and then to say, Oh, never mind, I don't. . . It just doesn't compute.
When I was young I was a member of a youth group, and one of the "leaders", a law student eventually married a very wealthy Jewish girl and converted to Judaism. I must say that the few people I know who "changed" because I don't say convert did it because of marriage, and I must add they were wedding extremely wealthy girls.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:44 AM

Why? Well let's just say you might call this a pragmatic "conversion."
Obviously I was implying that he was motivated by money, to give up his faith and his belief. He believed that Jesus was the Son of God and now he doesn't? Doesn't make sense. . .

Old 04-29-2007, 10:10 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times
[quote=CelticLady1;641275] I've heard of people who switched from Christian to Muslim. the Christian. QUOTE]
Would I just be assuming that these were Muslims in America or other free to choose your religion countries. In true Muslim countries they don't have the freedom to just change to Christianity do they?
The reason they hate the west for our freedom!!

Old 04-29-2007, 10:12 AM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,880 times
Quote:
I have wondered this also. You have the Messiah now go back to finding HIM I'm

Old 04-29-2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
I have wondered this also. You have the Messiah now go back to finding HIM I'm
Right. You have to wonder about their faith to begin with. And I am well aware that it is not PC to say this, but there you have it.
Like I said previously the few I have encountered have involved a male marrying a wealthy Jewish gal. . . makes one wonder.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:41 AM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
I have to question if these people were ever really "true Christians".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality