U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2007, 12:06 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities
3,570 posts, read 7,736,635 times
Reputation: 5973

Advertisements

I've heard that there are gay people who call themselves Christians. Can you be gay and a Christian at the same time? Does being gay go against what the Bible says? FYI: I am just asking a question, not making a statement.

 
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Haddington, E. Lothian, Scotland
752 posts, read 587,490 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
I've heard that there are gay people who call themselves Christians. Can you be gay and a Christian at the same time? Does being gay go against what the Bible says? FYI: I am just asking a question, not making a statement.
Why not? Sin is the human condition. We all sin as we live & breathe. I think gays are entitled be imperfect Christians just like anyone else.
 
Old 02-12-2007, 12:36 PM
 
173 posts, read 370,365 times
Reputation: 267
Well, it is like being an adulterer, or a murderer, or a thief, or a molester.

You can be an adulterer, or actively gay, or etc, and a Christian, as long as you stop committing adultery, and stop being actively gay, and etc, and ask God to forgive you for having sinned. Then you would need to pray to the Lord, asking him for his help in keeping you from committing adultery and or etc., ever again.
 
Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 PM
 
325 posts, read 1,269,056 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
Why not? Sin is the human condition. We all sin as we live & breathe. I think gays are entitled be imperfect Christians just like anyone else.
True, God doesn't categorize sin. However, as a Christian, I believe a homosexual should at least feel the desire to abstain from that type of lifestyle. I'm not saying you would have to be perfect, but at least realize that God doesn't approve of that behavior.

Just as all Christians shouldn't covet their neighbor's husband/wife, car, house, etc. We all fall short and disappoint God, so it's obviously not unforgivable. We just have to confess and repent to return to God's grace and strive to be more Christ-like in the end.
 
Old 02-12-2007, 12:37 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,354,539 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
I've heard that there are gay people who call themselves Christians. Can you be gay and a Christian at the same time? Does being gay go against what the Bible says? FYI: I am just asking a question, not making a statement.
Of course you can. Priests have been molesting young boys for generations and they can even keep their jobs, lol.

They might have to move around a bit more, but they're always workin

-TT
 
Old 02-12-2007, 12:44 PM
 
154 posts, read 624,958 times
Reputation: 67
all the hypocrisy in christianity makes me glad i'm a buddhist, especially since buddhism doesn't discriminate against anyone and penalize you for circumstances out of your control (& the fact that the leader of buddhism has been proven as a real person). i don't see why anyone would want to belong to a religion that isn't accepting of all people.
 
Old 02-12-2007, 12:54 PM
 
325 posts, read 1,269,056 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
the fact that the leader of buddhism has been proven as a real person
In a court of law it usually takes two eyewitnesses to consider something fact or the truth. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were among hundreds if not thousands of people who walked, talked, and worshipped with Jesus. That's 4 eyewitnesses (there are of course others) that give their accounts of Jesus' time on this earth. That would convince most jurys I would think.

I believe Buddha walked this earth as well, though he lived long before I was born.
 
Old 02-12-2007, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Haddington, E. Lothian, Scotland
752 posts, read 587,490 times
Reputation: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroline95 View Post
all the hypocrisy in christianity makes me glad i'm a buddhist, especially since buddhism doesn't discriminate against anyone and penalize you for circumstances out of your control (& the fact that the leader of buddhism has been proven as a real person). i don't see why anyone would want to belong to a religion that isn't accepting of all people.
But with respect to homosexuality, there are Buddhist sects who qualify it as a violation of Sila. Its sensuality is itself a form of attachment, yes?

So while there isn't necessarily any discrimination against gays in Buddhism, and certainly no promise of hellfire for them, there are certainly those modes practice that consider homosexuality being contrary to revealed truth just as Christians do.
 
Old 02-12-2007, 12:58 PM
 
Location: Northeast
1,298 posts, read 2,354,539 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsu99 View Post
In a court of law it usually takes two eyewitnesses to consider something fact or the truth. Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John were among hundreds if not thousands of people who walked, talked, and worshipped with Jesus. That's 4 eyewitnesses (there are of course others) that give their accounts of Jesus' time on this earth. That would convince most jurys I would think.

I believe Buddha walked this earth as well, though he lived long before I was born.
In the absense of an affadavit signed and stamped by a notary public, I have no choice but to disregard their testimony.

Besides that, lol, it just ain't true.

-TT
 
Old 02-12-2007, 01:00 PM
 
Location: SF, CA
431 posts, read 286,834 times
Reputation: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier67 View Post
I've heard that there are gay people who call themselves Christians. Can you be gay and a Christian at the same time? Does being gay go against what the Bible says? FYI: I am just asking a question, not making a statement.
The Bible says that homosexuality is wrong. The Bible says that murder is wrong, that lying is wrong, etc. It is up to us as Christians to strive daily to not sin. Of course, we do. But I can choose to not murder, to not lie, to not steal, etc. Free will is ours. What we do with it is between us and God and in my opinion, I will answer for my decisions/choices one day - the good ones and the bad ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top