Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:16 PM

342 posts, read 540,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Out of curiosity, may I ask what you intend to do with anyone who happens not to follow Christianity?
It's not up to me or anyone other than God..... He alone will judge..... I am no one's judge and furthermore have no right to judge...... since Christians are only saved by God's Grace not because we are "good'" or better or worse...... christians are only obligated to deliver the mail......all are FREE to accept or reject the message of the Good News.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 07:18 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
Your words indicate that you haven't read the Bible or studied it.
Your words indicate that either you have not read my post in its entirety, or you have not understood it.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
Can you show me where He said we are all children of the Most High?

On your other points, that's A LOT of speculation, goldengrain.

But I would like to continue this discussion.

I'm going to be traveling today for a few hours but I would like to see the scriptures where Christ said we are ALL children of the Most High.

Talk with you soon,

Alpha
Sorry, but I am not slogging through those online biblical helping sites again. A search for Christ saying we are all God's children will just bring up too much to sift through.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
That sounds great. Those are things we need to do. But is that going to get your sins forgiven by God?
All sins are are errors. You correct them when you find them. Those you have not resolved upon death will be addressed later.

Regarding sin, we are sometimes like drug addicts, keep saying we are reformed, yet making those mistakes over and over again. Often, when we hit bottom we make a permanent change.

Are there spiritual influences that sometimes assist us? I think so, but our spiritual 'character' is not built through just saying 'I'm sorry'. We are not 'forgiven' until we learn our lesson and no longer screw up and try to right the wrongs that we have done if we have hurt others.

Sometimes the guilt projected on people by religion only serves to push the person more deeply into the old pattern which caused the 'sin' in the first place, so I can see how the game of - making a person feel guilty and then offering a handy dandy exclusive forgiveness, trapping an individual in the confines of a religion - is profitable to churches.

I wonder about the spiritual state of our president, saying he is born again and yet lying to get us into a war that kills so many innocents. He is obviously not sorry, but he has accepted Jesus and is therefore saved.

Then, I look at a man like Powell, who was duped into lying to the world about those non-existent weapons, but even though his act was a result of the lies of others, has repented in front of all the world - said he's sorry for his words and the horrors that resulted because of them.

I don't think the better man is born again.

Life is much more complex than the words in any one book and it is no way as simple and cut and dry as some branches of some religions delude themselves into believing.
Many religions in Christ's day required sacrifices from the people for forgiveness of sins. That is a tradition that has been with some aspects of Christianity, probably to this very day, using monetary contributions en lieu of the actual sacrifice.

Some people, early in the religion, may have been disgusted at priests getting rich by creating guilt in the people and demanding propitiation, so they invented the one god who would make the ultimate sacrifice and do away with all the imposed guilt trips. Actually, there were many such gods who died for our sins before Christ. It was not a new idea.

Even members of the Catholic clergy need special permission to access the Vatican records of old documents, and even they cannot go browsing but must know something is there and ask permission to view it. Many are turned down. I suspect there may be much info there that could shed an entirely new light on the religion, else why the secrecy?

I go back to Catholicism because they were the one source that controlled the religion for a very long time. They sifted through documents, hid some, determined what combo best suited their idea of what Christ should be, etc. They were the repository for all info, much of the stuff they discarded is now in their library, held in secret, even by their priests. Original and only copies. It was they who told us what the religion was to be, what was permitted to be in the bible.

The Protestants, later, just had those books and a few others, on which to base their protest of the hypocrisy of the church. So, much later, the fundies and born-agains were created, but their essential beliefs are based on these pre-screened documents.

I believe there are many 'words of God', not just the thing called the bible. Most have a great deal of myth and beliefs useful for less complex societies and a simpler life. Most also have gems of wisdom in them. We have to use our God-given brains to decide which to exclude and which to include. Of course, we are sometimes wrong, but it's all we have for the time being.

Christians filter through the bible, accepting some things and rejecting others all the time. Just because they group together and agree it's a bad thing to stone disobedient children does not refute God's word that you should. Heck, I am glad that fundies reject some parts of the bible. If they did not, they would be reacting just as poorly as those mad Muslim terrorists. In fact, even in these days, some do.

Sharks do have virgin births, by the way.

Last edited by goldengrain; 12-26-2008 at 08:52 PM..

Old 12-26-2008, 08:31 PM

7,784 posts, read 14,887,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Sorry, but I am not slogging through those online biblical helping sites again. A search for Christ saying we are all God's children will just bring up too much to sift through.
Don't blame ya...especially since He never said that.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:43 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
What is "right" for one may not be the same for another. God is without limits, many of the should's, are limitations of man and not God. Why live a life with limitations? wee have enough to deal with otherwise.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Well, not that we should bring logic into this, but just from general knowledge, all things were made by Him, no?

God is our father. Everyone. Therefore, we are all God's children.

When given the choice of grace or discrimination, Jesus chose to stand with:

The Samaritan, considered a half-breed and impure by religious people; The sick, even though religious people thought illness was a sign of God's punishment;

Women, who were deemed unworthy of full humanity;

Tax collectors and Roman soldiers, who were seen as the enemy;

The poor, who were thought to deserve their place in life by the religious elite;

The leper, whom most good religious people would shun

To say otherwise is to me a need for certain personality types to feel exclusive. It is an ego boost, and not what religion should be catering to.

All men are our brothers and injustice and suffering anywhere eventually affects us all.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:30 PM

648 posts, read 1,641,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrogers22 View Post
Do we have to believe in Jesus Christ in order to go to Heaven or do we have to belong to the right church ?

Blessings
It doesn't matter what church you belong to in order to go to heaven. You have to believe in Jeaus Christ, that he died for our sins and have accpted that in your heart. Then no matter what you will have a place in heaven.

It doesn't matter what church you belong to in order to go to heaven. You have to believe in Jesus Christ, that he died for our sins and have accepted that in your heart. Then no matter what you will have a place in heaven.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:07 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Well, not that we should bring logic into this, but just from general knowledge, all things were made by Him, no?
God is our father. Everyone. Therefore, we are all God's children.
When given the choice of grace or discrimination, Jesus chose to stand with:
The Samaritan, considered a half-breed and impure by religious people; The sick, even though religious people thought illness was a sign of God's punishment;
Women, who were deemed unworthy of full humanity;
Tax collectors and Roman soldiers, who were seen as the enemy;
The poor, who were thought to deserve their place in life by the religious elite;
The leper, whom most good religious people would shun

To say otherwise is to me a need for certain personality types to feel exclusive. It is an ego boost, and not what religion should be catering to.
All men are our brothers and injustice and suffering anywhere eventually affects us all.
Amen, golden . . . I feel the same way.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 PM

3,553 posts, read 5,154,249 times
Quote:

Jesus quoted Psalms 82:6. I think that is what he is referring to. In John 10:34
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality