Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2008, 11:48 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,934,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
REPLY: Its against CityData TOS policy to attack an individual with name calling . If youd like to cogently tell the Group how you became an atheist and how atheism can benefit society, Id be curious to know that. Thanks.
Aw, Sweetie -- I'm not an Athiest and I wasn't calling you names; I was recounting in simple terms the story you gave, I even put in parentheses about that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:53 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
Dang, I'm an atheist and I had no idea I was supposed to be doing all sorts of crazy immoral things! I guess I've been doing this all wrong by being a solid, trustworthy member of society. I must have skipped that chapter in my aetheist handbook....

Here's how it happened "to" me"

I went to church as a kid. My parents believed in God although were not religious fanatics. I was an acolyte, I was in youth group through high school. At some point in college, I started thinking hmm...I am not so sure about any of this. I don't believe a God would allow all the atrocities of the world, I don't believe God would help out a TX football team win (even though they pray so hard for him to focus his attention there on game day!). I don't believe he would say one he'd step in and stop one child from dying while allowing others to die. None of it added up. There was much more to it, but suffice it to say I had my doubts.

My lifestyle did not change. I went from having an occasional beer, holding a steady job, having great friends, and generally being a decent person to....exactly the same.

My parents still believe in God and I respect that. I don't and they respect that. They (and I) agree that there is no "proof". You have to look at the information and come up with your own answer and the answer isn't the same for everyone. It doesn't make anyone "better" or "worse". Some self-proclaimed Christians are horrible people committing terrible acts. Some are wonderful people. Same with atheists. And Jews. And Muslims. And Hindus...you get the idea.

In many ways I do wish I believed. I would love to have someone to point to when bad things happen and believe that it was for a reason. I would love to believe there is a heaven and I can see loved ones again. I would love to think someone was helping make decisions with me or was looking over me. I think being an atheist is, in a way, lonelier b/c everything falls on you--there's no backup. There's nothing better coming. But I just don't buy it, no matter how much I want to. I do, however, respect those who do believe it and know plenty who do (including in my own family and close friends). But not the ones who feel superior b/c they believe, nor the ones who think that I am somehow morally lacking b/c I don't believe. I don't think those are good people, no matter what their religion. They are just judgmental and that's not good to me...

Old 05-13-2008, 12:11 PM

545 posts, read 2,043,029 times
'My parents still believe in God and I respect that. I don't and they respect that. They (and I) agree that there is no "proof". '

REPLY: Have you actually gone looking for it ?! Its all around you and IN you. You are NOT an atheist , Friend ; no one truly is . I dont have enough faith to be an atheist even though it was philosophically appealing ; You can still go back to believing and following our personal Theistic Creator based on a sound rational decision . God doesnt expect you to blindly believe in him. It sounds as if you didnt get many important questions answered when you were growing up, so, may i suggest this incredible book since you have an open mind :'I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist' by Dr. Norman Geisler , at www.impactapologetics.com . Its the featured book that even atheists say is a very compelling book with sound reasoning. I know you dont truly think that this Universe including yourself has no purpose, meaning, or instrinsic worth. Many people WANT to have this sort of fatalistic/nihlistic attitude, but, i can tell by yourself that you dont fall into this category. Regards.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Aw, Sweetie -- I'm not an Athiest and I wasn't calling you names; I was recounting in simple terms the story you gave, I even put in parentheses about that.

REPLY: Super ! I need all the love i can get !

Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbeDavid View Post
'My parents still believe in God and I respect that. I don't and they respect that. They (and I) agree that there is no "proof". '

REPLY: Have you actually gone looking for it ?! Its all around you and IN you. You are NOT an atheist , Friend ; no one truly is . I dont have enough faith to be an atheist even though it was philosophically appealing ; You can still go back to believing and following our personal Theistic Creator based on a sound rational decision . God doesnt expect you to blindly believe in him. It sounds as if you didnt get many important questions answered when you were growing up, so, may i suggest this incredible book since you have an open mind :'I Dont Have Enough Faith to be an Atheist' by Dr. Norman Geisler , at www.impactapologetics.com . Its the featured book that even atheists say is a very compelling book with sound reasoning. I know you dont truly think that this Universe including yourself has no purpose, meaning, or instrinsic worth. Many people WANT to have this sort of fatalistic/nihlistic attitude, but, i can tell by yourself that you dont fall into this category. Regards.
You do realize that nobody on this forum takes your absurd statements seriously, right?

As I said before, the statements you make about atheism are so irrelevant, I wonder who you're actually talking about.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:20 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times
i'm an Athiest and it only needs a complete lack of faith in any "supreme being" being in charge of my life. Religions(all religions) are only crutches for weak people to lean on. They have this need to believe that some where out there there's some being that will take care of them and they will be rewarded at the end of their lives. What bunk. When you die, you die. It's over. lights out. Deal with it.

What turned me as a born Roman Catholic to Athiesm? Simply growing up and realising that there's no proof of any god at all. The bible was written by men to gain power and control over other men. It's a book of fiction. I think it's rediculous to blindly believe in anything that cannot be proven to me.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
dang i just love it how people online have intimate access to my mind and know me better than i know myself.

Old 05-13-2008, 03:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
To support David, here's Edward Current proving that Atheism is a Religion,
YouTube - Atheism Is a Religion!.
Caution. This is satire.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
i'm an Athiest and it only needs a complete lack of faith in any "supreme being" being in charge of my life. Religions(all religions) are only crutches for weak people to lean on. They have this need to believe that some where out there there's some being that will take care of them and they will be rewarded at the end of their lives. What bunk. When you die, you die. It's over. lights out. Deal with it.

What turned me as a born Roman Catholic to Athiesm? Simply growing up and realising that there's no proof of any god at all. The bible was written by men to gain power and control over other men. It's a book of fiction. I think it's rediculous to blindly believe in anything that cannot be proven to me.
REPLY: Id be interested to know how you know that there is no personal Theistic Creator (?) Have you travelled the Universe in its entirety and do you know everything about everything which is required for you as 'an atheist' to make this absolute declaration ? Lastly, since you *think there is no evidence, can you please list the exhaustive steps you have undertaken which leads you to this absolute conclusion ; have you bothered to overcome your willful apathy by doing a google under :'Design Evidences for a Personal Creator' ,or, must a personal Creator for a personal Universe be automatically ruled out in your estimation ?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
You do realize that nobody on this forum takes your absurd statements seriously, right?

As I said before, the statements you make about atheism are so irrelevant, I wonder who you're actually talking about.
REPLY: Since self-proclaimed atheists represent a meager 8% of the U.S. Population (due to the enormous ludicrous FAITH required) , Im sure the great majority on this Forum DO take my statements seriously . I hope one day before your life is over ,that, your pride will allow you to consider what your personal ulterior motives have been for rejecting the Creator . I did and being free from the charade is absolutely wonderful. END.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality