Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 02:57 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,706,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I was sincerely wondering, not trying to agitate you. I am agnostic and have no faith in any unseen being. I was just hoping for some insight from an atheist what provides the proof that no deity exists.

Again, just what sits well with me...

I was raised in a religious household; church every Sunday, potluck dinner on Wednesday, choir practice on Thursday, bible study...whenever that was...and had as much instruction at home. My father was the Choir Master and on the vestry...

I veered from that at 13 or 14...just started rebuking the whole notion, belief system, mandates...but as a child I was still stuck. Basically got confirmed because I had no choice, and then refused to attend services anymore.

I then began to read (books, this being pre-internet) about other established religions, soon leaning toward alternative faiths - even practicing myself. I wanted to see if something else made more sense. I was open. A battle of the gods, as it were. And a goddess or two. The more I searched - and by that I mean origin, history and not just face-value of the modern day equivalent, the more dismayed I became.

It just all became so absurd to me. By my mid-twenties, I had formed my opinion and it has only become more solidly held with age.
To me it is a combination of superstition and social control. I'm all for a good moral standing and building a strong, healthy community, BTW, but I don't think religion is the only way to come about it. And I chafe with the idea that someone else's religion (and only theirs) might dictate to me. I do get...testy.

Some people have the keen ability to believe in a god without religion, or admit that they don't know one way or the other...
But for me, in my mind, there is no god, good or bad - and I don't need there to be one. I am not disturbed by voiding this.

I have a very cold way of approaching this subject. I try not to let emotion cloud my words, or else I could come across as slightly more than disenchanted...

If we could all just keep it to ourselves...

Last edited by 33458; 02-15-2007 at 03:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 05:16 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,475,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post
Hey YapCity, This is the best one I've seen online. I have some books I could recommend. Will look at them and post them later.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitheism
So you oppose religion in genral?

Old 02-15-2007, 05:39 PM

1,281 posts, read 2,367,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Who do you think prehistoric man worshipped?
The rain god, the sky god, the mountain god, the harvest god, the sun god, the moon god, the cloud god, the insect god, et al. However due to globalization and restructuring, all gods had to be consolidated and reallocated to the various regions and to adapt to local conditions. A thousand years from now all the various religions now will evolve and their beliefs and practices will not be familiar.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:45 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
The rain god, the sky god, the mountain god, the harvest god, the sun god, the moon god, the cloud god, the insect god, et al. However due to globalization and restructuring, all gods had to be consolidated and reallocated to the various regions and to adapt to local conditions. A thousand years from now all the various religions now will evolve and their beliefs and practices will not be familiar.
And maybe the dinosaur god too, do you think?

Old 02-15-2007, 06:43 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhyrnut View Post
So you oppose religion in genral?
Yes. Even more than the concept of a God. Religion has always been a means of oppression and mass control. It has done more harm than good. Even today, just turn on the telly. They tell you who to vote for, what friends to choose, etc...

It's the most divisive force in history.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:02 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
I read a good discussion on the internet once. I wish I could point everyone to it but it's long gone now.

Both of the guys were liberal Democrats and shared similar values. Both had studied religion in college (I think one had an undergraduate degree or graduate degree in Comparitive religions, I can't remember what religious degree the other had but it was similar). One was a Christian, one was an atheist.

They argued about the existance of God -- and that was what was so fascinating. They were both extremely knowledgable and were able to back up their arguments with scriptures, science, etc. It was really interesting. It's a shame everyone didn't get to read it because I think it would lead to greater understanding of how someone can end up an atheist and someone with the same information can end up a Christian.

I think a lot more people are Agnostic rather than Atheist.

and a person's belief or view can change sometimes.Its my understanding for example,that Benjamin Franklin went thru different phases in his life being atheist or agnostic then latter believing in God.

When I read the bible,it comforts me,it makes me stop and think,I think thats all the proof I need.The argument of science over faith,I think science is about learning how God makes things "tick".One should not necessarily be at odds with other.Albert Einstein was very religious,which is why he was at odds with quantum mechanics,as he believed everthing must be in "order" with no room of uncertainty.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:41 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,973 times
Religion has been around since man could think and reason. Christ has been around for alittle more of 2000yrs. Not all religion are for mind control. My grandfather was was native modoc, the spirits he talked about were not to control my mind. but help me understand this world. For those that "believe" there is no GOD, maybe the great deciever has control of YOUR mind. That voice inside you tells you no, just like he wants you to think. SO nobodys in control of you? Yeah RIGHT. Im sure you're free to think anything you like

Old 02-16-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Religion has been around since man could think and reason. Christ has been around for alittle more of 2000yrs. Not all religion are for mind control. My grandfather was was native modoc, the spirits he talked about were not to control my mind. but help me understand this world. For those that "believe" there is no GOD, maybe the great deciever has control of YOUR mind. That voice inside you tells you no, just like he wants you to think. SO nobodys in control of you? Yeah RIGHT. Im sure you're free to think anything you like
OK, I don't mean to sound rude, but this was kinda funny. You've illustrated my stance for me.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:36 AM

(and yes, I believe in spirits, having some bizarre experiences as a child myself...but by limitation I don't worship them or attribute the presence of to a higher power...)

That falls in to the catagory of: OTHER.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:38 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,942 times
Quote:
I've always wondered if the bible wasn't some fictional bestseller from thousands of years ago.

I wonder if, years from now, people will find a copy of one of Sidney Sheldon's books and decide that that is the religion their ancestors followed?

You might find this science fiction book called "A Canticle for Leibowitz" By Walter Miller entertaining. It's about something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality