Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:08 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
You know, when I was there only ONE person mentioned God to me at all. And it was a God Bless you kinda deal at the end of a convo so it didn't offend me at all. I guess I find it really interesting that I see all of this kind of stuff go on with the media and government in America, like you've mentioned here Troop, but perhaps people need to know you before they start talking God in real life? Curious though.
Anyway, I loved the place. Flaws and all.
Well, my personal opinion is that our geographic isolation from the rest of the world is/was one of the best and worst things for this country. While it certainly enabled us to fend off foreign enemies at a time when the country was still a fledgling young pup needing protection and finding it from two massive oceans bordering it on either side, I fear it has also enabled us to become a nation of idiots with a cavalry of stupidity at our side.

I don't mean that in terms of religious people being stupid but merely the fact that ideas can be generated within a society that a person is almost required to be of some sort of faith to run for public office. It's not written in stone but it's a few dimes short of a paradigm shift if you'll excuse the poor humor.

We have remained geographically isolated for so long that ideas which pervaded this country two hundred years ago still seem to affect us today. It's no wonder that half the country doesn't believe in evolution - religion has had over a century to pound it into the brains of otherwise unknowing people that it is some sort of "devil's tongue" that goes against the word of God. And yet, you'll find the very roots of these types of movements were often born in the backwoods of a Southern Church where scientific achievement and critical thinking fell and still fall far behind the power curve.

For a nation of free speech and free thought we have unknowingly and unwittingly sequestered ourselves into a nation of stupidity. It's not really anyone's fault. It's just that nobody has been able to challenge ludicrous and ridiculous thinking in this country for centuries. A simple measure of comparison might be easily seen in how long it took us to abolish slavery as opposed to just about any place in Europe. Why?! Because it took a long time for anyone to question the norm. And when you live on a continent that is geographically as isolated not to mention spacious as the one we live on, it's very hard to become influenced by other ideals.

Europe has for centuries been a melting pot of some of the world's greatest thinkers. I believe it was Voltaire who was very popular in Europe while the Americans viewed him as something obscene. And how would we know any different? We've been fed the mass spoon of the news media for centuries and because of our isolationism we don't know any better.

So, approaching two-hundred and fifty years of our nation's independence and separation of church and state, our politicians are still skewering one another over who has the better man in the sky, who doesn't believe in a man in the sky, and who goes to a building every Sunday to listen to a man that you don't particularly like talk about a man in the sky. That's what we have. Almost two-hundred and fifty years and we have nothing but utter crap spewing from the mouths of our nation's politicians - and it's all because people have been unable to think for themselves for the same amount of time.

I suppose that's why I am frustrated and I become increasingly more and more convinced that belief in the religious sense is an abomination to the human rationale. It sets the precedent to accept anything for an answer without first seeking evidence. It is, without a doubt, one of the worst things to come to this planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 06:14 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I guess in North Carolina things are brewing in quite an odd fashion and it has me particularly intrigued. Apparently Elizabeth Dole has put out an ad that Kay Hagan is affiliated with an Atheist organization as well as insinuates that Kay Hagan may very well be one herself. As to the credibility of the ad, I don't really know. On one hand, Hagan is apparently a Sunday School teacher and an active churchgoer which doesn't necessarily mean she believes but I would say the evidence strongly favors just that.

Now, I would hate to be misrepresented as something I am not. If I were a Christian being misrepresented as an Atheist than I imagine I'd be somewhat irked.

However, on the other hand, I found Hagan's response to be a little bit perturbing as well. Part of her reply:

"I think Elizabeth Dole has gone to the lowest of the lows."

Now, wait a second... Is that really the lowest thing a person can be? An Atheist? If she were wrongly accused of being a child molester or a vicious murderer I could see that being the "lowest of the lows", but an Atheist? Is that really as low as it gets?

While I think I can understand her frustration and while I do realize this is politics I firstly find it despicable that an ad put out associating someone with Atheists is actually something seen as derogatory but I also find the response of "lowest of the lows" to be one of the lowest responses I've ever heard.

So, I don't know what to think. Personally, I'm more disgusted with Elizabeth Dole for insinuating that associating or even being an Atheist is something not worth voting for someone over and yet I'm half tempted to the point of writing a letter to Kay Hagan expressing what I think of her "lowest of the lows" response.

Thoughts?

Dole challenger irate over suggestion she is 'godless' - CNN.com
If you have any dreams of the political life, stay out of the south east.
Should probably run in Calif. or Mass.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:16 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,454,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
If you have any dreams of the political life, stay out of the south east.
Should probably run in Calif. or Mass.
I'm actually thinking about running for office in Mississippi and my slogan is going to be:

"I Will Not Claim To Be God, For He Doesn't Exist!"

How many votes do you think I'll get?

Old 10-31-2008, 06:42 AM

5,493 posts, read 7,332,104 times
Quote:
I'm actually thinking about running for office in Mississippi and my slogan is going to be:

"I Will Not Claim To Be God, For He Doesn't Exist!"

How many votes do you think I'll get?
Since, as I believe, all polititions are liars, you'd have my vote.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:44 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,896,840 times
Quote:
Well, my personal opinion is that our geographic isolation from the rest of the world is/was one of the best and worst things for this country. While it certainly enabled us to fend off foreign enemies at a time when the country was still a fledgling young pup needing protection and finding it from two massive oceans bordering it on either side, I fear it has also enabled us to become a nation of idiots with a cavalry of stupidity at our side.

I don't mean that in terms of religious people being stupid but merely the fact that ideas can be generated within a society that a person is almost required to be of some sort of faith to run for public office. It's not written in stone but it's a few dimes short of a paradigm shift if you'll excuse the poor humor.

We have remained geographically isolated for so long that ideas which pervaded this country two hundred years ago still seem to affect us today. It's no wonder that half the country doesn't believe in evolution - religion has had over a century to pound it into the brains of otherwise unknowing people that it is some sort of "devil's tongue" that goes against the word of God. And yet, you'll find the very roots of these types of movements were often born in the backwoods of a Southern Church where scientific achievement and critical thinking fell and still fall far behind the power curve.

For a nation of free speech and free thought we have unknowingly and unwittingly sequestered ourselves into a nation of stupidity. It's not really anyone's fault. It's just that nobody has been able to challenge ludicrous and ridiculous thinking in this country for centuries. A simple measure of comparison might be easily seen in how long it took us to abolish slavery as opposed to just about any place in Europe. Why?! Because it took a long time for anyone to question the norm. And when you live on a continent that is geographically as isolated not to mention spacious as the one we live on, it's very hard to become influenced by other ideals.

Europe has for centuries been a melting pot of some of the world's greatest thinkers. I believe it was Voltaire who was very popular in Europe while the Americans viewed him as something obscene. And how would we know any different? We've been fed the mass spoon of the news media for centuries and because of our isolationism we don't know any better.

So, approaching two-hundred and fifty years of our nation's independence and separation of church and state, our politicians are still skewering one another over who has the better man in the sky, who doesn't believe in a man in the sky, and who goes to a building every Sunday to listen to a man that you don't particularly like talk about a man in the sky. That's what we have. Almost two-hundred and fifty years and we have nothing but utter crap spewing from the mouths of our nation's politicians - and it's all because people have been unable to think for themselves for the same amount of time.

I suppose that's why I am frustrated and I become increasingly more and more convinced that belief in the religious sense is an abomination to the human rationale. It sets the precedent to accept anything for an answer without first seeking evidence. It is, without a doubt, one of the worst things to come to this planet.
I agree with what you're saying but I will say that this religious fervour thing seems to have become more prevelent for you guys, well for the world in general really. Sure it's been going on for a while but it seems to have gained momentum since 9/11 and it most definitely has become more of an issue with your current government.
The other thing that I've noticed is one should never underestimate the power of the media to portray to the masses the way they want things to be. I'm sure my thinking is highly unpopular but it's my firm belief that it's big business that controls it all really, the world bank, the multi-nationals and Rupert Murdoch has been telling you all how it "really is" for quite awhile now. Just like he does here.
I don't think how they're presenting it and how it really is are the same thing but unfortunately not every body is able to discern that and they definitely have a vested interest in keeping us all nicely ignorant. So while I understand it's frustrating, believe me, I've only got to spend some time amongst the "average Australian" to see how well the plan is working, I also believe that there are enough people that can see that freedom of religion does not mean freedom to force your views down everybody elses throat. The other thing on "our" side is that life is flow. Things reach a peak, like they just did with Wall Street, so when things turn, change comes. Soon enough, when it comes to religion and government, things will have to change. That's just how it's been right throughout history.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:30 AM

4,440 posts, read 9,066,646 times
I think she went to the lowest of the lows because she had a voice over in her ad (Supposedly of Hagan) saying something like "I don't believe in God".

To me thats low.. Not what she said but having somebody else trying to sound like Hagan..

dole is in a fight for sure.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:36 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,462,930 times
My problem with this whole thing is that everyone is ignoring the fact that Dole's ad is clearly and blatently illegal.

The real story here should be that Dole stomped all over the 1st amendment rights of those who ARE atheists. Atheists have the right to not be discrimated against for our beliefs. This commercial implies strongly that athiest money is tainted and atheists shouldn't openly support candidates.

This commercial is a violation of the First Amendment and Dole should be punished according to the law.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:19 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,615,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
My problem with this whole thing is that everyone is ignoring the fact that Dole's ad is clearly and blatently illegal.

The real story here should be that Dole stomped all over the 1st amendment rights of those who ARE atheists. Atheists have the right to not be discrimated against for our beliefs. This commercial implies strongly that athiest money is tainted and atheists shouldn't openly support candidates.

This commercial is a violation of the First Amendment and Dole should be punished according to the law.
That's exactly the thought that went through my head when I first heard about this... I guess it is true that Atheists and 'godless' people are still the only group that can be openly discriminated against without fear of retribution. Sad.

California has the only 'out of the closet' Atheist Rep. Pete Stark, and he is currently the only Atheist in congress.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:57 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,548,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post

You raise a valid point.

Old 11-01-2008, 05:00 AM

74 posts, read 126,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
You raise a valid point.
Dole is being sued over this ad and rightly so!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality