Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 03:11 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,954,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Was it a fact that Jesus died for YOU? Or that Jesus exist, or that Jesus son of a god, or that he died for any other reason? You want to believe that he indeed died for you.
What would happen to the world if Jesus didn't die at all? Do you think word would go on as it does? What is your view on the subject?

Why would he punish? That's the brain he gave you, use it as you find it fit. God, apparently didn't give you enough brain to make correct choices, thus you will be punished. Is that how this work? Your argument here is pointless.

My life is what i make it, not what your god wants me to make it. My life is about me, my friends, my families and people who i come to contact in my daily life, my life is not about an invisible man, sorry.
If Jesus did not die for the sins of the world, the world would go on until it destroyed itself, and then those who died would have no future beyond this life. However, we know from the truth of the Bible that Jesus did die for this world, and we know this because the Bible is being confirmed by it's fulfilled prophecies. If the Bible was just a Book that was written by man without God's involvement, then it's prophecies would of failed long ago. Yet this is not the case, and the Bible is the only Book on earth that has this kind of evidence. And it is because of this evidence and other God events in my life, that I understand that God is not an invisible man. And God tells us your life is what you make of it, and He tells us that thoses who seek Him will find Him. And those who find Him will live with Him
forever. "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, the things prepared for those who love the Lord."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 06:30 PM

418 posts, read 707,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Actually the Bible states that near the time of the end, the sun will so heat up the earth, that men will curse God because of the heat.
And long before science understood many of the basic sanitation pratices we understand today, the Bible had foreknowledge of them. And I might add, these practices will not be found in any other books or religious text of the time.

Origin of the Cosmos: Ch 10
Why is that the bible couldn't instruct people about a Heliocentric Solar System? Why did it not identify all the planets in our Solar System? Why does it say the Earth was created first?

Campbell, we've been through all this before and it goes nowhere. You cling to your unscientific bible despite evidence otherwise, and push your "god sent me a love balloon" story as evidence for him.

It's pointless.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:56 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,022,471 times
Quote:
Well, perhaps you did not notice, but much of the information I present here comes from other scientist.
And the real problem here, is I tend to look at the obvious and agree with it. I would also point out, that even believers in Evolution will tell you that the large dinosaurs that we see in fossil record today across the globe required quick burial. Now believers in Evolution will tell you this all happened because of local flooding. Christians will tell you, this was because of a global flood. And it is the stories of a global flood that is supported in over 200 oral traditions. And as I said before, God once sent a ballon to me to tell me He loved me, so God can use whatever he wants to deliever His message. It is your lack of knowledge of God, and of His supernatural abilities which limits your understanding.
Quick burial does not mean global flood. I don't see why you think saying that scientists have noticed quick burials somehow proves Noah's Ark. And what "believers in evolution" say that the dinosaur fossils are there because of a local flood? There are many reasons for quick burials, and fossils don't necessarily need a quick burial to be preserved anyway.

You are taking one incident of quick burial and applying it to all fossils, saying this is how it is done every time. Then you say that since this is the only way it happens (gross oversimplification), this somehow proves that all fossils were created by a global flood. Newsflash, the world isn't that simple. You can't use faulty assumptions to reach a valid conclusion.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:23 PM

33,512 posts, read 37,047,088 times
Many of the most famous fossils in the paleontological record are known to be the result of rapid burial. For example the Burgess Shale organisms look to have been suddenly buried by a submarine collapse of a cliff or ledge of silted clay. Many upper mid-western dinosaur and mammal fossils were suddenly buried when alive by an ash fall from a massive volcanic eruption. One could argue that most well-preserved fossils are the result of sudden burial events. Animals that die in the open are eaten and scattered by scavengers, and bacterial decomposition and atmospheric oxidation takes care of the remaining traces. The fact that most of our good fossils show evidence of sudden burial is not proof of the biblical flood but just proof that sudden burial by any of several geological mechanisms (that are well understood) is a good way to make fossils.

Over a span of many millions of years countless billions of creatures died. Most of them were never fossilized. That is why Fossils are not all that common. Had even a few percent became fossils they would be everywhere.

Fossil hunters digging in the Gobi Desert of Mongolia have found the remains of a dinosaur that died 80 million years ago while sitting on its nest of eggs. This is the first definitive evidence of parental care among at least some dinosaurs, and also more strong support for an evolutionary link between dinosaurs and modern birds.

Something dire happened. Either the Oviraptor died shortly before a sandstorm struck and was buried almost immediately, or it died as a result of the storm. In any event, a quick burial deep in dry sand fossilized the animal's bones and eggs and preserved them exactly in place, a moment in time frozen for all time.

Fossil of Nesting Dinosaur Strengthens Link to Modern Birds - New York Times

This is a Swan's foot...Take away the webbing and what does it look like to you?

Old 11-16-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Many of the most famous fossils in the paleontological record are known to be the result of rapid burial. For example the Burgess Shale organisms look to have been suddenly buried by a submarine collapse of a cliff or ledge of silted clay. Many upper mid-western dinosaur and mammal fossils were suddenly buried when alive by an ash fall from a massive volcanic eruption. One could argue that most well-preserved fossils are the result of sudden burial events. Animals that die in the open are eaten and scattered by scavengers, and bacterial decomposition and atmospheric oxidation takes care of the remaining traces. The fact that most of our good fossils show evidence of sudden burial is not proof of the biblical flood but just proof that sudden burial by any of several geological mechanisms (that are well understood) is a good way to make fossils.

Over a span of many millions of years countless billions of creatures died. Most of them were never fossilized. That is why Fossils are not all that common. Had even a few percent became fossils they would be everywhere.

Fossil hunters digging in the Gobi Desert of Mongolia have found the remains of a dinosaur that died 80 million years ago while sitting on its nest of eggs. This is the first definitive evidence of parental care among at least some dinosaurs, and also more strong support for an evolutionary link between dinosaurs and modern birds.

Something dire happened. Either the Oviraptor died shortly before a sandstorm struck and was buried almost immediately, or it died as a result of the storm. In any event, a quick burial deep in dry sand fossilized the animal's bones and eggs and preserved them exactly in place, a moment in time frozen for all time.

Fossil of Nesting Dinosaur Strengthens Link to Modern Birds - New York Times

This is a Swan's foot...Take away the webbing and what does it look like to you?
Excellent.

Good luck convincing them. I posted a picture of whale bones inside the flipper sheath that resemble land-dwelling mammalian feet/hands, and they scoffed.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:38 PM

33,512 posts, read 37,047,088 times
They may scoff John, but deep down I think they know the truth.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
They may scoff John, but deep down I think they know the truth.
Oh how I would like to respond with something witty, but I'd like to keep my posting privileges this week.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Why is that the bible couldn't instruct people about a Heliocentric Solar System? Why did it not identify all the planets in our Solar System? Why does it say the Earth was created first?

Campbell, we've been through all this before and it goes nowhere. You cling to your unscientific bible despite evidence otherwise, and push your "god sent me a love balloon" story as evidence for him.

It's pointless.
The Bible is not a Book about science, yet as I have stated, the truth of the Bible has led to scientific discovery. And there are numerous examples for this, and if you can see that, you are in denial. What evidence has proven the Bible incorrect when it comes to science. It easy to say the Bible is unscientific. Can you show me proof that the Bible has been exposed as a fraud, because science has proven it wrong?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:23 PM

Quote:
The Bible is not a Book about science, yet as I have stated, the truth of the Bible has led to scientific discovery. And there are numerous examples for this, and if you can see that, you are in denial. What evidence has proven the Bible incorrect when it comes to science. It easy to say the Bible is unscientific. Can you show me proof that the Bible has been exposed as a fraud, because science has proven it wrong?
Campbell, I linked you a website, TalkOrigins Archive: Exploring the Creation/Evolution Controversy

I can't do anything more for you if you won't take the time to investigate with an open mind.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Excellent.

Good luck convincing them. I posted a picture of whale bones inside the flipper sheath that resemble land-dwelling mammalian feet/hands, and they scoffed.
Well first you better start working on believers in Evolution who do not believe the whale theory. The Bible has far more solid evidence that the similarities you point to in whales. And there are other similarities in other species, yet this is not considered evidence for evolution. And believe me, if whale evolution really happened we would be finding a lot more evidence for it's reality. Your belief has more to do with blind faith, than any scientific evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality