Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 03:25 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times

Advertisements

I found a recent quote that's very appropriate here. I can't remember who said it, but it went sort of like this...

"Stories will not convince one who works at denial. You have to be one seeking the truth, and one who does not automatically dismiss every account..."

I think it applies well to Christians who won't even consider, but instead just dismiss, the myriad of scientifically determined conclusions. I'm pretty sure.

What do you think, C34?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 03:59 PM

Default "There HE is! I saw him, and even better, I filmed him!"

C34 wrote: "In a court of law eyewitiness accounts are considered one of the most valuable resources for getting to the truth, and getting a conviction. Yet here you just dismiss them all. Why is that? Would you say our courts should bar all eyewitiness accounts, because they are only as convincing as nessie, big foot, little green men from Mars, etc.?"

Here's an eye-witness account, made all that much more believable because there's actual photo documentation!

I believes, I believes!

YouTube - Sasquatch caught on film at Des Moines' Gray's Lake

Old 05-19-2009, 03:00 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
Was it global or just that immediate area (Eastern Mediterranen Sea) that got flooded.

The modern stories imply it was global. If thats the case how did the animals (many as yet undiscovered and we are still discovering new species today) from as yet undiscovered parts of the world (not to mention the native people's) get to that area of the world in time and without perishing on the way?

Its easier to believe if it was just that immediate area where Noah happened to live.

Oh yeah, there's no historical records from the other civilzations/empires/tribes at that time of a lethal flood that ravaged their empires at that timeframe. Thats the sorta thing they'd have remembered and wrote down. Getting your empires destroyed sorta sticks in your head. In particular the more distant countries have no record of it. This sorta supports the theory that the Great Flood wasn't global.

So I'm just confused.
If everyone was destroyed on the planet but Noah and his family, there would be no one around to write about their destroyed empire. Yet the story of the flood is found in almost every oral tradition on the globe. So it appears that those who were born after the flood, past the story on.
Consider the link below.

Abiogenesis and the Origin of Life

Old 05-19-2009, 03:05 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
I found a recent quote that's very appropriate here. I can't remember who said it, but it went sort of like this...

"Stories will not convince one who works at denial. You have to be one seeking the truth, and one who does not automatically dismiss every account..."

I think it applies well to Christians who won't even consider, but instead just dismiss, the myriad of scientifically determined conclusions. I'm pretty sure.

What do you think, C34?
Well in my case, God actually spoke to me. So I know His account is real. And since most of science has not considered the evidence against evolution, I believe it really applies more to them.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 PM

Cool And yet, some still fear sailing off the edge....

I suppose they would consider good evidence against Evolution, but at this point, two problems arise:

1) there is none, and, coincidentally,

2) it's been completely proven to all rational minds. As in...

we can show it in the lab any time you'd like, with new species arising from genetically older & earler, significantly different species;

we have all the transitionals you'd care to look at;

we now have immensely strong and completely convincing evidence in the form of DNA genome mapping that clearly shows our ancient lineages,

and;

we have tens of thousands of fossils all arranged, neatly, in the geo-chronological order predicted by Evolution, and dated by highly reliable and very advanced means (Oh, not those old, very early techniques used in the '70s but still referred to and refuted by AiG and others. You're not still stuck on those, are you?).

Wow!
Pretty strong stuff, huh? I thought so!

So, there's hardly any point in trying to disprove it, right?

I mean, it would be like trying to prove, in 2009, that the Earth is flat.

Go ahead with that if you must; the rest of us have better things to do; new horizons to explore, new discoveries to make, bright new personal realizations and philosophical understandings to achieve.

Really, though, C34; why waste your time? Just to make a silly point or to demonstrate your endless stubbornness to your fellow dis-believers?

If I were you, I'd be at least trying to fit the facts of Evolution into your personal Christianity, as, for instance, the Catholic Church and the Anglican Church of England (and many others) have now done. I mean, they're hardly stupid, now are they?

(But don't worry. You won't sail off the edge! It's round, Tom. It's round!)

Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM

71 posts, read 112,135 times
I totally agree with you riflemen, But i would like to know about or see pictures of the transitional fossils for my personal amusement. I have been told There is no proof of evolution, no transitional fossils, and have flat out been told evolution is not real. If you could show me a few links that i can look at, it would be greatly appreciated

Old 05-19-2009, 09:28 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
One of the questions commonly asked by creationists of those who study evolution is 'Why are there no transitional fossils?' To a creationist, a transitional animal is clearly part one animal and part another. They have even been heard to ask, 'Show me a fossil that is half-fish and half-lion'!

You should understand why there are no fossils which fit the traditional creationist definition of 'transitional'. Each and every fossil is complete unto itself, every organism is a whole living thing, yet every one is transitional between the previous generation and the next.

Why are there no transitional fossils? They are all transitional!

BBC - h2g2 - Why There Are No Transitional Fossils

Google Image Result for http://www.theistic-evolution.com/hominids2_big.jpg.

PHOTOS: 7 Major "Missing Links" Since Darwin

Old 05-19-2009, 10:39 PM

283 posts, read 409,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
One of the questions commonly asked by creationists of those who study evolution is 'Why are there no transitional fossils?' To a creationist, a transitional animal is clearly part one animal and part another. They have even been heard to ask, 'Show me a fossil that is half-fish and half-lion'!

You should understand why there are no fossils which fit the traditional creationist definition of 'transitional'. Each and every fossil is complete unto itself, every organism is a whole living thing, yet every one is transitional between the previous generation and the next.

Why are there no transitional fossils? They are all transitional!

BBC - h2g2 - Why There Are No Transitional Fossils

Google Image Result for http://www.theistic-evolution.com/hominids2_big.jpg.

PHOTOS: 7 Major "Missing Links" Since Darwin
Geeze christians are supposed to be the ones that have been brain washed. You were not the least bit insaulted by the explination given in the Why there are no transitional fossils:
Why are there no transitional fossils? They are all transitional! lame really lame that is as good...as I told you so thats why...lol I love it!

I like how there is only a non photo of the Tiktaalik: The "Fishapod"

I admire your faith though! truely hilarious stuff I do like to stop at these post and get a good laugh. thank you!

Old 05-19-2009, 10:43 PM

1,317 posts, read 2,055,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdparty View Post
Geeze christians are supposed to be the ones that have been brain washed. You were not the least bit insaulted by the explination given in the Why there are no transitional fossils:
Why are there no transitional fossils? They are all transitional! lame really lame that is as good...as I told you so thats why...lol I love it!

I like how there is only a non photo of the Tiktaalik: The "Fishapod"

I admire your faith though! truely hilarious stuff I do like to stop at these post and get a good laugh. thank you!
So we can apply that because there is no photo of Jesus, he did not exist?

Old 05-19-2009, 10:46 PM

283 posts, read 409,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme58 View Post
So we can apply that because there is no photo of Jesus, he did not exist?
Nice one, there were no camera's I thought you were the geniuses there were camera's on Feb 12 2009. PHOTOS: 7 Major "Missing Links" Since Darwin

I just see coloring book pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality