Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2008, 02:49 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
Maybe you should actually read Your bible. If you had you'd know the answer to that question.

Actually I did re-read it after I made that comment and yes you're right it did say that extra clean animals were taken on board. It really was just an off hand comment meant as a bit of fun....lighten up.

It still doesn't make the rest of the story any more believable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 03:24 PM

7,628 posts, read 10,971,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
LOL....The bible has never been shown to be in error? Gimme a break. How many errors have been pointed out to you just regarding the flood story, not to mention talking donkeys and snakes, and the dozens of other assorted "miracles"

GE 7:19-20 The flood covered the earth with water fifteen cubits (twenty plus feet) above the highest mountains.(Note: This would require steady, worldwide rainfall at the rate of about 6 inches per minute, 360 inches per hour, 8640 inches per day--for 40 days and nights--so as to cover the entire earth with an endless ocean 5 miles deep, thus burying 29,000 ft. Mt. Everest under 22 ft. of water. How did the author know the depth of the water? Did Noah take soundings? And where has all this water gone?)

The size of Noah's Ark was such that there would be about one and a half cubic feet for each pair of the 2,000,000 to 5,000,000 species to be taken aboard.
Well the real author of the Bible would have no problem knowing how deep the flood was, because the real author of the Bible was God. That's why the Bible can speak about the future, because only God knows the future. And that is why the Bible knew thousands of years ago that near the end of time the Jews would return to Israel, and anger the nations.

And again, the Bible tells you it was not just rain that flooded the earth, the fountains of the deep were opened. So it's kind of dumb to calculate the amount of rain fall per hour, especially when you have not considerd the rate of flow from the fountains of the deep.

And tell me, what if we did not have any talking birds around today, but they were spoken of in the Bible, would you be mocking the idea of a talking bird? I could just hear you now, "there is no such thing as a talking bird, prove it by science. A talking bird is just one of those myths in the Bible." Polly want a cracker? LOL

Polly want a cracker - Yahoo! Search Results=...

Old 11-29-2008, 03:59 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,316,380 times
I know this is not the point but can someone tell me where in the bible it talks about talking animals? I want actual verses because I'd really like to read that. All I keep picturing in my mind is Donkey from Shreck with the old woman beside him moving his mouth saying "I can talk, I loooove to talk,I'm the talkenest damn thing you ever saw" Or words to that effect. Makes me laugh every time I hear about these talking animals.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:55 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,257 times
Camble, you're becoming really boring with your same stuff, Jews are returning, Noah's arc and some stupid Gate.
May be you should come up with some fresh things, ya know, like new prediction that doesn't mention Jews and Gates. How about that?

If i read your prediction that you keep on bringing up over and over, for 23495th time in each post, one more time, i can safely assume that you are either really old and have Alzheimer disease, or you've never left your house or ever read any book in your life, besides the bible.

I don't know how everyone else can keep on arguing with you about the same stuff, you're clearly have nothing to add.
I believe this and other Arc post should be closed and forgotten.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
I've read that in Kentucky that there's a creationist museum with an ark that contains a vegatarian T-Rex, and exhibits that show children playing with their domesticated meat eating dinosaurs.
Beggers the imagination, it seems creationists will stoop to anything to promote their discredited cause.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:25 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Polly want a cracker? LOL

Polly want a cracker - Yahoo! Search Results=...
Oh this is rich.

1-Birds can talk because their throats have a unique syrinx which allows it to make human sounds. We don't waste time trying to get chimps to mimic the way we speak and instead opt for sign language.

2-I would love to see a bird or any animal for that matter speak Hebrew, no don't give me that mimicking 1 sentence crap. The bible's talking animals clearly spoke the language is insane considering that nobody even spent time teaching them how to speak. They just magically did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady ice
I know this is not the point but can someone tell me where in the bible it talks about talking animals? I want actual verses because I'd really like to read that. All I keep picturing in my mind is Donkey from Shreck with the old woman beside him moving his mouth saying "I can talk, I loooove to talk,I'm the talkenest damn thing you ever saw" Or words to that effect. Makes me laugh every time I hear about these talking animals
The 2 I can think of from the top of my head are the snake in genesis 3 and Balaam's donkey somewhere near the end of numbers, I forget where exactly. In any case, the donkey here is actually smarter than her master.

Balaams tale plays more like a comedy...no a cartoon. Balaam disoveys the lord and god sends an invisible and immaterial angel to stand in the way and kill Balaam with his immaterial sword if he gets too close(Balaam can't see the ninja/angel). Everytime the donkey does something that really annoys Balaam, he them promptly beats her and on the third time, the donkey gets really mad and starts talking to him. The conversation roughly went like this:

Donkey: WTF? man? why are you doing this to me?
Balaam: Shut up, I'd kill you If I had a sword for making me look foolish.
Donkey: I've been your donkey for ages, do I usually do this to you?
Balaam: ...no

Then Balaam somehow gain the ability to see the angel and then the angel cleared up the missunderstanding.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:00 PM

353 posts, read 552,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
Actually I did re-read it after I made that comment and yes you're right it did say that extra clean animals were taken on board. It really was just an off hand comment meant as a bit of fun....lighten up.

It still doesn't make the rest of the story any more believable.
I'm impressed that you actually went back and re-read it. Kudos.
You find what your looking for in these things. If you want to believe the Bible is true, you will. If you want to believe its not, you won't.
There is plenty of reason to be skeptical about Noahs Ark. My only problem with the skeptics is they turn around and profess a belief in science and too often the scince is no more "proven" than the religion they rally against.
I look at science just as cynically as I do religion. Certain things you have to take on faith to believe its true.
Are there really such things as black holes? does the earth really revolve around the sun? did man walk on the moon? are dinosaurs millions of years old? is that really the speed of light?
I can't independantly prove or disprove most of those things. I assume, or have faith, that when science gives me an answer its true.
For the same token I can't independantly prove or disprove, God, religion, or the Bible. I've got a pretty good idea of what the truth is but until God comes down and pokes me with a stick or science becomes infallible and can prove there is no God I'm keeping my options open.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:07 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I've read that in Kentucky that there's a creationist museum with an ark that contains a vegatarian T-Rex, and exhibits that show children playing with their domesticated meat eating dinosaurs.
Beggers the imagination, it seems creationists will stoop to anything to promote their discredited cause.
Now thats just to "STUPID" , Oop's I meant to funny. Some folks wiil do anything to mind wash the children, won't they?

Sounds like something Jim Jones would do. And those simple minded people died for that idiot.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:25 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefence View Post
You find what your looking for in these things. If you want to believe the Bible is true, you will. If you want to believe its not, you won't.
What you are saying here is that one cannot read the bible and decide the truth on the merits of stories in the bible alone...You have to want to believe it...Thanks that helps me to understand the how the fundamentalist mind works...Gotta read the book with a closed mind.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:42 PM

7,685 posts, read 13,142,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What you are saying here is that one cannot read the bible and decide the truth on the merits of stories in the bible alone...You have to want to believe it...Thanks that helps me to understand the how the fundamentalist mind works...Gotta read the book with a closed mind.
I think they want to call that "Having the faith of the mustard sead".
But I would rather say, "they want to be as blind as a Bat".

And I'm with you on your belief.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality