Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 PM

418 posts, read 708,371 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Everybody here mocking God and Heaven now won't be doing so on judgment day.

The story of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31) explains it perfectly. In heaven, we will worship our King for eternity because He truly is worthy of our worship.
It's more of mocking a belief in gods and heavens. Just as it would be mocking a belief in werewolves, dragons, fairies...you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:35 PM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
I haven't read all the posts, but the only thing I can say is that heaven will be a place that our brain capacity can't even comprehend. No, not even Einstein. It will be such a place that there would be no such thing as boredom.

Our brain capacity will come up with all kinds of answers to tell us this or that, but I'm sure we will all find out when our time comes.

I know atheists believe that when our time comes we are done with. But I don't buy that.

I had a good buddy who was an atheist. His grandparents were Jews. He believed that if God really existed, then the holocaust wouldn't have happened. While I understand his viewpoint, I see too many evidences of a supreme being.

Example – how did this thing called the atmosphere above earth come about? This thing protects the Earth from the Sun’s radiation. How about all those meteorites that are flying all over the universe? How is it that it doesn’t hit the Earth and destroy it?

How about the rotation of Earth and movement of Earth around the sun? If it was off by a second, it would doom Earth. These are just a few of the millions of examples that explain that there must be something superior to make all this happen.

I don’t buy the theory that this is all an accident.

For anyone that can explain these miracles and say that there is no one single supreme being – please educate me.
I can best explain this by giving a related example.

A radio program that I listened to a few years ago featured a theoretical physicist, who gave the following mathematical scenario:

Putting aside the need for food, water and fuel, if you were to hop into a spaceship, and head....oh, let's say *that* way for a few billion years, eventually you would, by sheer statistical and mathematical probability, find a planet that developed on a course parallel to that of Earth.

Assuming that the universe is infinite in size, the probability that you'll find such a planet as you proceed approaches 1 -- it's almost a mathematical certainty that, eventually, you *would* find this Earth parallel.

That's how I see the beginnings of the universe (from a secular standpoint): mathematical probability rolled a proverbial '7' and hit the jackpot.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:25 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,031,258 times
I'm not sure if this idea has been discussed on this thread yet, but

In heaven do you remember your life on earth?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:37 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
The Universe is larger than we can imagine. There are hundreds of billions of stars. (Most likely inifinitely more.) Many of these stars have planets. This we have verified through science. What we will discover in the future is that there may be planets or moons that are hospitable for life. Even Mars is strongly considered to have sustained the possibility of some life.

Now imagine hundreds of billions of stars, and some of those with planets and moons. Of those planets or moons, there could be some like ours. Do you see how many millions/billions of possibilities there are?

This is science at work. It's understandable that humans would invent gods to explain what they could not scientifically explain at the time. We've moved beyond that time now, and the information is there for those interested.
Very interesting read. Thanks for that.

Who created science? Did we create science, just like God as some say?

Do all these mysterious things just happen out of the blue, in perfect sync?

Please explain further. Your insight is very interesting.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
You can find all of your answeres by reading books other then bible. Have you tried it yet? May be you can come back here and tell us what you read and what your thoughts are. May be after that, we can debate on the same level of understanding.

I think you need to educate yourself. Did you educate yourself about the bible? I'm sure you did, now, just for some variety, educate yourself on other subjects.
Have fun!
I haven't read any book that proves that God does not exist. If there is, please let me know.

I do know a little about what the bible says, but I don't know the bible 100%. Probably not even 1%. Is there anyone that has memorized the entire bible?

Please advise me on what subjects I should educate myself. You know, every single one of us will taste death. What happens to each and everyone of us after we taste death? Can science tell us that?

Even after we discover everything and how everything formed, science will still not be able to answer where those particles that attributed to life came from.

As I said before, some will say that it was just an accident. If that's the case, then try this:

Take a wine glass and smash it to the ground. What will happen? It will break into a million pieces. What if you kept smashing a wine glass to the ground for eternity. Do you think it might be possible for one of those glasses to form into a serving plate or some other object? It will never happen in a trillion years.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
I can best explain this by giving a related example.

A radio program that I listened to a few years ago featured a theoretical physicist, who gave the following mathematical scenario:

Putting aside the need for food, water and fuel, if you were to hop into a spaceship, and head....oh, let's say *that* way for a few billion years, eventually you would, by sheer statistical and mathematical probability, find a planet that developed on a course parallel to that of Earth.

Assuming that the universe is infinite in size, the probability that you'll find such a planet as you proceed approaches 1 -- it's almost a mathematical certainty that, eventually, you *would* find this Earth parallel.

That's how I see the beginnings of the universe (from a secular standpoint): mathematical probability rolled a proverbial '7' and hit the jackpot.
I wouldn't doubt your explanation. But what is the point?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I'm not sure if this idea has been discussed on this thread yet, but

In heaven do you remember your life on earth?
I would say no. I'm sure prior to entering heaven. But once you're in heaven, I would say no. I think heaven is a totally different dimmension than earth.

Last edited by popalnet; 11-11-2008 at 12:09 AM..

Old 11-11-2008, 12:06 AM

418 posts, read 708,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
Very interesting read. Thanks for that.

Who created science? Did we create science, just like God as some say?

Do all these mysterious things just happen out of the blue, in perfect sync?

Please explain further. Your insight is very interesting.
Thanks for taking the time to read my response. That is refreshing.

I'm talking to you as an Atheist, so I don't believe in gods. Based on that, a progression is seen in world culture from primitive understandings of the world and beyond, to modern (still primitive if we look back 500 years from now) science as we know it. The mechanics of science have always existed, but humans have had to take the necessary time to achieve understanding, which has become progressively faster. We obviously don't have all the answers, which must be earned over time with the appropriate work. That said, amazing discoveries are there for the taking when humans develop the technology to uncover them in the future. Humans will look back at this age the way we look back on, say the Renaissance period for example.

There are scientific answers to unanswered questions, and we must admit that they might not be known in our lifetimes. Collectively, we move society forward (Scientists do, mainly ), and we are cogs in the wheel so to speak.

Most of us here do not possess a Scientist's level of understanding on the various disciplines, but that does not mean the science is not true. We just have to point each other onward to the experts. In turn, those experts don't have all the answers yet, but they have the questions. Perhaps in generations to come, future scientists will answer those questions.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to read my response. That is refreshing.

I'm talking to you as an Atheist, so I don't believe in gods. Based on that, a progression is seen in world culture from primitive understandings of the world and beyond, to modern (still primitive if we look back 500 years from now) science as we know it. The mechanics of science have always existed, but humans have had to take the necessary time to achieve understanding, which has become progressively faster. We obviously don't have all the answers, which must be earned over time with the appropriate work. That said, amazing discoveries are there for the taking when humans develop the technology to uncover them in the future. Humans will look back at this age the way we look back on, say the Renaissance period for example.

There are scientific answers to unanswered questions, and we must admit that they might not be known in our lifetimes. Collectively, we move society forward (Scientists do, mainly ), and we are cogs in the wheel so to speak.

Most of us here do not possess a Scientist's level of understanding on the various disciplines, but that does not mean the science is not true. We just have to point each other onward to the experts. In turn, those experts don't have all the answers yet, but they have the questions. Perhaps in generations to come, future scientists will answer those questions.
I totally believe in science. However, until science can prove that there is no supreme creator, I will always believe that there is a supreme being.
Not multiple supreme beings, but just one supreme being.

That is why I don't believe in the holy ghost, son of god, and god theory of the bible. The bible has been interpreted and modified so many times that it can't be the original.

Even though I believe this universe is so huge and eternal, I also believe that there is another dimension that science can't even fathom. This world and universe being the creation.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:15 AM

125 posts, read 284,910 times
Quote:
Also, how could someone experience everlasting joy in Heaven while knowing some of their loved ones were eternally suffering in Hell?

The Heaven/Hell concept is so basic and insulting to one's intelligence as to only merit a chuckle.
My personal view after reading in Islam is that eternal torture is not there.

Eternal hell is there but eternal torture is not.

So if i'm in paradise and i know a relative of me is in hell, I know that he is being punished fairly for his sins in order to deserve paradise, so i'll meet him eventually

If he has not atom of good then paradise to him will be hell, he can't live in paradise cause he'll hate it, he can't be thankful towards God a single second, so paradise is worse than hell to them.

So i understand that after punishment for his sins, he'll stay in hell in a low rank of living, they can do crimes to each other there.

That's why we can understand the verse telling that persons in paradise will laugh on persons who are in hell for eternity, cause those in hell are not in torture any more, after being punished for their sins even after a very long punishment, they live as they chose, doing crimes every day. This is laughable of course.

This has no other meaning than they are not punished, cause persons do not laugh on someone who is suffering, and God is the most merciful as mentioned in the holy Qur'an many times and before each chapter.

Peace

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality