Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 01:41 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,602,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennaflorrie View Post
Why should we teach only evolution and not creationism? Evolution has NOT been proven. It takes more faith to beleive that we came from a big bang, then that we were created. But I guess that is for another thread.
Hindu beliefs are wrong. We live ONCE and then the judgment. No second chances. No reincarnation. And there is only ONE God. Not many.
Here's the thing:
In science, we are trying to prove a hypothesis wrong. The most likely theory, is the one that matches the evidence the best. Currently, the evidence all points to evolution. Is it proven? The thing is, in science nothing is definitively proven. It's just found to be the most likely explanation.
Creationism can never be proven wrong by evidence. Science is evidence based. So it can never be taught in science classes. If it were taught in the classroom, it would have to be taught under religious beliefs, along with reincarnation when teaching about creationism, balance when teaching about Taoism, etc. It should be taught not as right or wrong, not as a scientific theory, as as something some people believe. Its your right to believe in it and deny science. You have your opinion, but faith should not be taught in science class just like history should not be taught in math class. and since we can't trust many teachers to keep that separation, to be careful most school just tend to keep it out of the classroom.
As for democracy, it is protected by our consitution, which upholds a separation of church and state. Teaching creationism as a scientific theory would be preaching religious dogma, and thus violates our democracy.

Old 11-08-2008, 02:52 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,921,065 times
Quote:
Ha ha ha.....Athiests ARE so closed minded aren't they?!!!
Not nearly so much as people like you. Some of the things you christians have said to me and accused me of are abominable. All I want as an atheist is for your ilk to quit trying to convert me. I don't give a crap what your personal beliefs are, but when you try to make me comply with them, that's where you err, miserably. Some of the things said to me by christians include:

"How can you get out of bed in the morning knowing there's no god?"

"Since you don't believe in god, you should just kill yourself and get it over with."

"You don't have anything to live for if there's no god."

"You have no morals/can't discern right from wrong since you don't believe in god."

"God should strike you dead for being an unbeliever."

"Why aren't you out raping, murdering, and stealing from people? Since you don't believe in god, you must be okay with that kind of thing."

Now, who is close-minded?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:27 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
I am often amazed that people mock God and turn into jokes what is precious and holy.
Be aware that "The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom" - so all this foolishness comes from lack of reverance or fear for a mighty, awesome God.
But God is real and time is short. Don't make an amusement of the seriousness of life and eternity.

Take heart, Jenna, in the knowledge that it is not YHWH who is being mocked, but merely his most humorless followers.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
I am often amazed that people mock God and turn into jokes what is precious and holy.
Be aware that "The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom" - so all this foolishness comes from lack of reverance or fear for a mighty, awesome God.
But God is real and time is short. Don't make an amusement of the seriousness of life and eternity.
What, your god doesn't have a sense of humor? I think if he existed, he would. After all, didn't he create the platypus? Goodness knows, they're funny as hell. And armadillos...holy crap I laugh every time I see one of those goofy things. And don't even get me started on those deep-water fish with the dangly lighted thing on their heads...

Old 11-08-2008, 09:32 PM

Quote:
God sent Jesus to die for the sins of people because God knew that we were enslaved to our sins. But, if we reject Jesus and turn our backs on his Grace extended to us then we are GUILTY through and through of the worst kind of sin. We should fear God - in a reverent way - because he has made the way for us - all we need to do is believe and trust in him. We should fear God - because if we turn our back on the truth and the love he would freely give - then we are still 'dead in our sins' and on our way to a lost eternity.
Mmm...yeah. Your book claims that YHWH set up this system people were destined to fail, no matter how hard they tried, then he sent his son, only it was really himserf, to die (except that he only stayed that way three days) to create a legal loophole he could have closed with a wave of his hand, except he couldn't, except he's God so he could. And if people don't worship him in just the right way and the right frequency they're toast. Literally. Although he could change this, and since he supposedly loves us all, one would think he might, but no, he'd much rather see us fry.
And you think the Flying Spaghetti Monster is nuts?

Old 11-08-2008, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha8207 View Post
You mean, for instance, the 'legal right' to present multiple world views on our origins in an educational setting?

I agree!

Good on you!

So what would you propose we do about those close-minded atheists?

Hey, cool! So you support teaching the Wiccan version of the Big Bang theory? (Hint: one male god, one female...you can infer the origin of the big bang from there.) How very enlightened of you!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Hey, cool! So you support teaching the Wiccan version of the Big Bang theory? (Hint: one male god, one female...you can infer the origin of the big bang from there.) How very enlightened of you!
I dunno, I rather like the one that has the universe sitting on the back of a turtle...

Old 11-08-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
I dunno, I rather like the one that has the universe sitting on the back of a turtle...

"Everyone knows the world is flat and supported on the back of four elephants standing on a giant tortoise. Once there was a fifth elephant..."

Now that's theology!

Old 11-08-2008, 11:27 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
On September the 19th, for the past three years, me and my friends have gotten together and eaten a holy meal of spaghetti and meatballs to show reverence towards our deity. I have a catholic friend who said this was disgusting and weird, but when I brought up 'Christ Crackers' and wine as the body and blood of Jesus during communion, she got tongue tied and didn't know exactly how to respond

May everyone be touched by His Noodly Appendages!

Old 11-09-2008, 06:06 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
With a reported 10 million members worldwide, the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster seems to be right behind Sikhism (at 12 million) among the world's major religions. I'm surprised that there are not more FSM discussions here on CD.

Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

By the way, as a Hindu, my beliefs are not compatible with FSMism primarily due to the meatball aspect of the deity they worship.
What luck, the meatballs can be interpreted as ground turkey! Start an amalgam church!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality