U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-09-2008, 09:44 PM

395 posts, read 633,757 times
Default Why do unscientific people think they are qualified to attack science?

It gets really old and is actually quite alarming to hear people with no formal education in hard science naively criticize scientific theories. The worst lines are "but evolution requires faith too! It's just all one big leap of faith everything is equal."

The cold irony here though is that Christians are making exactly the same arguments that morally relativistic post-modernists make. The same people they claim to stand against.

Everything is not faith. Science is a rational, logical way of understanding the world **based on observation**. Evolution is NOT just faith because, to put it simply, the theory allows us to make predictions about empirical outcomes. Simply saying "God made everything" does not allow you to make these same empirical predictions. For instance, given genome x in 1,000 members of species y, subject species y to this environmental condition, we can expect a shift in the distribution of genome x.

The key here is that evolutionary theorists are not simply saying "we have a collection of observations and we construct any old ad hoc theory to explain it." If that were how it worked then the Christian critique would be correct.

The mark of true science is constructing a rigorous, mathematical, theory, which agrees with all known observations ***and is able to make accurate future predictions abotu empirical events***.

Why don't anti-evolutionists understand this? It's almost as if they're so out of their intellectual depths they can launch these naive, misleading attacks and well-intentioned but ignorant followers simply swallow it whole. It is exasperating. They will believe anything their uneducated preacher tells them.

It is true that at a base level you must make some unprovable assumptions, even in science. But that is far, far from saying that both science and religion are equal at making falsifiable predictions - science far outstrips religion in this regard.

What's funny is that Christians do not raise the same naive attacks on sciences which don't directly threaten their beliefs, like physics or chemistry (in fact all the christians on here rely on physics to communicate over the internet, and some likely use chemistry via pharmaceutical drugs to stay alive).
Yet when the same rigorous methods produce an outcome that contradicts their belief that all life was created by God they attack it. Very hypocritical.

A final point of contention is the fact that Christians claim that evolution has never been directly observed. This is utterly false.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 10:02 PM

305 posts, read 1,067,735 times
Christians are individuals. What one believes another may not. I am a Christian who also believes in evolution; I believe God created the universe through evolution.

Last edited by ElleBebe; 11-09-2008 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: having trouble with my action verbs

Old 11-10-2008, 03:52 AM

322 posts, read 434,433 times
Science has some use in the affairs of mankind but it simply cannot serve has an all effective means of discovery.

Got to shave and go to work, but let's talk more soon about this.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:59 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,233,837 times
Maybe those people who have no "formal education" in science realize that those in those fields have no formal education in theology, scripture, and personal experience of a changed life......

Old 11-10-2008, 04:04 AM

1,463 posts, read 2,233,837 times
....Or that you have it figured that those who "believe" are not educated???? That you think blind faith means that the person cannot think those issues through, that just "trusting" refects that the person can't justify their stance. I have several degrees but my faith is based on the word of God, my personal experience and history.
With can argue all sorts of issues but it comes down to the simple faith of a child, the faith of a mustard seed, the holy spirit working in your life, answered prayers and changed lives.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:17 AM

8,532 posts, read 9,943,706 times
Because science is just science and not some omnipotent and omnipresent deity?

Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 AM

2,616 posts, read 2,525,647 times
Txguy2009,

You are right science is sooo far advance that no mere mortal Christian could possibly understand one iota of evidence of evolution, so why bother even trying you morronic idiot!!! Is that what I am hearing from you?

I am sorry, but I have studied biology and I find the theory lacking. The question is, is evolution even defined clearly so that it can be considered a relevant study of science? No. It is vague and lacking. It is just a series of conjecture that does not rely on science, but uses science as a crutch to make it appear legitimate. Science in fact has little to do with the hypothesis of evolution.

But of course this is coming from a mere mortal Christian infidel and not a "real" scientist who is un-biased and thinking with a higher evolved super human brain.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:05 AM

379 posts, read 252,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleBebe View Post
Christians are individuals. What one believes another may not. I am a Christian who also believes in evolution; I believe God created the universe through evolution.
The universe has nothing at all to do with evolution. Evolution is an explanation why life on earth is diverse, nothing more.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:11 AM

609 posts, read 734,125 times
unscientific people? criticizing theories? umm the thing you should be mroe worried about is unscientific people supporting theories or unqualified scientists. such as a zoologists talking about physics.

the msot apparent example is the great globabl warming lie of course.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:23 AM

9,926 posts, read 8,389,228 times
Gee txguy, I'm an athiest AND scientifically unqualified and I still question science. I think they prefer it when we do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality