Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:27 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,562,729 times
I see your point but casting lots also has a loser.

Gambling is about 'chance'.

The Apostleship had a loser as only Matthias was picked.

You think that money has to be involved but that is only 1 form of gambling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
You're talking about gambling. Gambling involves taking a risk that you might win or lose something. Casting lots does not involve risk. It's simply a method that was used to determine who would get what.

Let's say you and a friend are contemplating two movies you want to see. You can't make up your mind, so you decide to flip a coin. If it comes up heads, you see one movie - tails the other. That is what is known as "casting lots". However, if you were to tell your friend "I'll bet $50 that it lands on tails", then that would be gambling. So there is a difference. And if I'm not mistaken, each time casting lots is mentioned in the Bible, it's in the context of trying to make a decision. They didn't say "I'll bet 100 coins that I get the long straw".

Therefore any link between "casting lots" and gambling would be erroneous. As far as I know, the Bible says nothing about gambling.

You know what would be interesting is to find out how many Christians out there don't believe in gambling, yet invest in the stock market.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,054,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
No, but I've lugged around someone that looked like they ate a pound of bacon on a date.
Did I look that bad?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:42 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,439,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
Did I look that bad?
It wasn't that you looked that bad, it was the pink spandex leotard that accentuated the ripples of fat on your legs that sort of reminded me of the situation.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
It wasn't that you looked that bad, it was the pink spandex leotard that accentuated the ripples of fat on your legs that sort of reminded me of the situation.
pink never was my color..

Old 11-10-2008, 08:54 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,439,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigthirsty View Post
pink never was my color..
Yeah, I thought the lavender one looked much better.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I thought the lavender one looked much better.
You aren't the first person to say that!

Heyyyy Ohhhhhhhhh

Old 11-10-2008, 09:53 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,139,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I won a pound of bacon one night at a fair when I was a teenager. Have you ever lugged a pound of bacon around on a date?
Hell, I'd be upset they were only offering a pound of bacon as the prize. LOL! Forget that nonsense....gimme the whole ham!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I see your point but casting lots also has a loser.

Gambling is about 'chance'.

The Apostleship had a loser as only Matthias was picked.

You think that money has to be involved but that is only 1 form of gambling.
No, don't put words in my mouth that aren't there. I never said gambling had to involve money. I said it involved risk. The "thing" being risked is called the "wager", and a wager can be anything. Performing a certain act can be considered a wager. Fasting can be considered a wager. For example, I might tell Joe Smith that I would shave my head if he made a hole-in-one from 350 yards, or I might say I'd give up chocolate for a month if he bowled a perfect game. THOSE are wagers, and involve me risking the loss of something. In other words, that is gambling.

With respect to gambling involving "chance"...isn't that basically a different word for "risk"?

chance synonym | Thesaurus.com

risk synonym | Thesaurus.com

Sure there is an element of "chance" in casting lots, and I'll concede the point that there is a "loser" when casting lots. But said loser isn't declared a loser as the result of investing something in a risky manner. The loser is simply the option not selected to receive something. Those casting the lots aren't really losing anything that they already had. Nothing was "risked" in the process that led to the "winner" and "loser" obtaining said status. There was no "risk" of losing something in order to make a choice. The loser was simply the choice ultimately not opted for.

The Apostleship lost nothing. It was simply trying to fill an empty space that was left vacant after what happened with Judas. In being one of the options, Barsabbas didn't lose anything that he already had. It's just that Matthias happened to be the one to whom the lot was cast. Barsabbas didn't say "I'll give you my farm if Matthias pulls the longest straw"...or anything of that nature.

I suppose it could be stated that, by virtue of the fact of making himself an option, the "loser" took a chance at winning something. But it's not the same as gambling in which he risked loosing something he already had. He simply lost out on obtaining something new which he never had to begin with. That's not gambling.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:29 PM

558 posts, read 1,831,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Recently I've discovered that my neighbor gambles illegally online. I feel like I should report this to the authorities, however, my wife feels that it is none of our business.

I'm a Christian and morally opposed to gambling and feel it's a waste of money, however it comes down to personal choice. If you want to fly out to Vegas and throw away your money that is your decision.

However, Online gambling I have a huge issue with. It's 100% illegal. Kids can be exposed to it and I've heard horror stories of people losing everything after their child got online and found an online gaming site. Terrorism and drug criminals also use these sites to launder money.

My biggest issue is the fact that I know that my neighbor is breaking the law and I feel it would be wrong for my not to notify the police.

Should I report this guy or just let it go?
1) How do you even know your neighbor is doing this????
2) How do you know he plays for REAL money???? There are sites like Full Tilt Poker where you can play with free chips just for fun.
3) Why is this even any of your business????

Please don't report your neighbor, even if you did I would think the police would just laugh......... I would hope they have real crimes to investigate and not waste their time tracking down someone who is probably at most playing low stakes poker.

Tell your neighbor not to overbet flush and straight draws, keep it abc tight poker for maximum wins, don't be afraid to fold pocket pairs when there are over cards on the table, wish him luck ........... and mind your own business.

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 11-10-2008 at 10:46 PM..

Old 11-11-2008, 06:51 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,932,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
1) How do you even know your neighbor is doing this????
2) How do you know he plays for REAL money???? There are sites like Full Tilt Poker where you can play with free chips just for fun.
3) Why is this even any of your business????

Please don't report your neighbor, even if you did I would think the police would just laugh......... I would hope they have real crimes to investigate and not waste their time tracking down someone who is probably at most playing low stakes poker.

Tell your neighbor not to overbet flush and straight draws, keep it abc tight poker for maximum wins, don't be afraid to fold pocket pairs when there are over cards on the table, wish him luck ........... and mind your own business.
If it's against the law, which illegal online gambling is they would have to act and Poker is immoral, this is not debatable.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 AM

5,137 posts, read 16,562,729 times
How is poker immoral?

Where in the bible does it say gambling is a sin?

I have a strong feeling that you're a troll acting like a Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
If it's against the law, which illegal online gambling is they would have to act and Poker is immoral, this is not debatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.