Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 04:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times

Advertisements

Just for a chuckle I'll tell you what is probably the most stupid thing I've done in my entire life. When I was in the eighth grade I had one of those mopeds and was coming down a highway on a mountain pass called Harding Way just south of my home town and I was going pretty fast because it was downhill and I had a friend of mine named Russ riding on the back. This elderly couple in a Volkswagen came up behind us and were preparing to pass. For some reason that I'll never understand I pulled into the left hand lane to just let him pass us on the right lane (something that doesn't appear in the driver's manual) while he was attempting to pass in the left lane and they ran right into us. I knocked out a couple of teeth and slid to a stop on the pavement with my arms scraping on the road at probably 50 miles an hour or so. My friend Russ was thrown over the car and landed in the ditch. It's absolutely amazing we weren't both killed. I went into shock and was pretty banged up but considering the fact that I'd been hit by a car I was in pretty good shape. Russ had injured his knee pretty badly but was also in pretty good shape. The couple that hit us were scared out of their wits and they drove us to the hospital. My unique alternative to letting someone pass you on the highway transcends the word stupid and belongs in some other category. I've thought about that day many times over the years and realize how incredibly lucky I am to be alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 05:49 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
When we first moved to Ky., our 4 kids were in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th grade..Since they had never lived in the country we were eager to allow them to experience all the fun they had in store for them....Our first gift to them was a mini-bike that they were to share..H goes to work and the kids wanted to ride the bike. Now I am one who NEVER allowed the kids to do anything unless I showed them how it is done The oldest, our son said he already knew how to ride, but I wanted to instruct him too. BTW, I had never ridden a minibike in my life., but I could drive a stick shift , ride a bicycle and a horse, so I figured I could ride that short bike..
The house we lived in sat far off the road and had a pretty flowing creek from the mountain hollow that ran along the gravel driveway to the main road..I got on the bike and told them to pay close attention to everything I did, because when I finished the lesson I expected them to do the same thing I just did..

So I show them how to start it, release the clutch or whatever that little thingy was, and off I went very slow and carefully along the edge of the gravel lane...My son (the oldest) yells. "You have to change gears now". I glanced back and said, 'I will, but you all have to learn to do this first" ..Just then my hand and foot somehow slipped and next thing I knew I was speeding across the lane and then the creek was below me and I was hanging on for dear life..I crashed on the other side of the creek, looked up into the faces of 4 kids across the creek..Diana, the youngest looks at her sisters and brother and says humbly and fearfully, "Do we have to do that?" I have a snake story too

Old 11-12-2008, 06:48 PM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post

Has My Beloved June misbehaved?

No, my Darling. As you should all too well know, June always behaves well.

Quite well.

-And you?

Old 11-13-2008, 06:35 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Last Wednesday in Lasham airfield, we saw a Vulcan XH558 pass us by from far away and I mistook it for a jaguar. Everyone around me laughed and I felt so embarrassed I could die.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:42 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,019,605 times
Too many to list...but last Friday I tripped oversomething invisible on my way to the barn and landed on my face on some railroad ties. I have been sporting a black eye and purple hued right side of my face all week. It is now shades of green and yellow with purple smudges edging all the way from eyebrow to jaw...looks a lot like the color of a corpse after a day or two.

Old 11-13-2008, 06:51 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,940,223 times
Ouch SLQ! I hope it goes away quickly

Old 11-13-2008, 06:58 AM

541 posts, read 1,145,249 times
On a camping trip, my friend's minivan battery kept going dead (probably from the kids leaving the car door open) I tried to call hubby to see how to hook up jumper cables. I could not get ahold of hubby so I asked them to transfer me to service dept. and asked the service manager to help out. We got the cables hooked up properly and I then asked "Which one do I start first?" DUH, the one that starts! As my husband said "You can't make that stuff up." Truth is stranger than fiction.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,658,684 times
MontanaGuy, let's throw a little humor in here....

YouTube - Mississippi Squrrel Revival - Ray Stevens
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality