U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2008, 11:03 PM
 
417 posts, read 436,675 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The old testament is history. Get over it. The Bible is not responsible for how the secular world treats women today.
The OT is not history where you're concerned. Supposedly Jesus and Yahweh condoned everything in it. If you worship someone who commands atrocities, that should be a problem for you.

This is the disconnect I find among many Christians. They brush off Old Testament horrors because they say it's for the Jews. That doesn't get you off the hook. It's supposedly the same god.

Now, would you care to rationally reconcile the Old Testament verses I presented?

PS: Christians like to say the US was a "Christian Nation," which it was not specifically "Christian," but where do you think the Founders got the notion that women were inferior to men? Biblical verses we presented are a start. You can't have it both ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2008, 11:06 PM
 
417 posts, read 436,675 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
We are all equal in the eyes of God but there has to be order or there will be chaos. So women submit to men not because they are unequal, but because there has to be order and that they have love and respect for each other and both as believers show love and obedience to the Lord.
Aside from "the bible says so," why is this the best way? Why should not men and women submit to each other in an equal manner? Why must men lead the household? Why not equality? There is rarely chaos in harmony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 02:16 AM
 
613 posts, read 832,138 times
Reputation: 178
The love of a woman is heaven on earth. they are mans blessing not mans curse. Life is created in them. If we are not equal women are surely superior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 05:46 AM
 
12,375 posts, read 14,531,286 times
Reputation: 14561
Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
The love of a woman is heaven on earth. they are mans blessing not mans curse. Life is created in them. If we are not equal women are surely superior.
{sigh} how beautiful..what a man
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 08:50 AM
 
Location: among the chaos
2,135 posts, read 3,027,958 times
Reputation: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
It is because of Eve we have "sin". She was blamed for tempting Adam with the Apple. It is because of Eve the human race has been stricken with sin.
Yes, Eve is the one that was tempted my the serpent. Yes, Eve was the one first to take the bite from the forbidden fruit. However, Adam was standing right there. I personally believe that Adam needed to 'man-up'. He could have stopped Eve from taking that first bite (or at least tried). And what a big boy he was; immediately wagging his finger at Eve saying, "she made me do it".

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
No it's because Eve listen to satan over God and believed the lie satan told her. No one forced Adam to sin, he could, and should have said no.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
We are all equal in the eyes of God but there has to be order or there will be chaos. So women submit to men not because they are unequal, but because there has to be order and that they have love and respect for each other and both as believers show love and obedience to the Lord.
Amen. This is how it works in my household.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
Aside from "the bible says so," why is this the best way? Why should not men and women submit to each other in an equal manner? Why must men lead the household? Why not equality? There is rarely chaos in harmony.
There is no right answer to this. We have been down this road before (http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...rue-equal.html). If there is a household where there is a husband and wife with children that thinks that they are living a truly equal relationship, I would love to hear from both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allah truth View Post
The love of a woman is heaven on earth. they are mans blessing not mans curse. Life is created in them. If we are not equal women are surely superior.

YouTube - When A Man Loves A Woman"Love Affair"Clip#2
If you haven't seen this movie, grab a box of tissues and enjoy. And then remember to kiss your spouse tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Based on your religious views, can you tell me what is the status of a woman in today's society. Do your believes that women should be ranked below men? Here in US we consider everyone equal, men and women. Do you agree with this equality and why, or why not?

I guess my question would have to be, are you asking about a husband and wife's position in the family? Or are you asking if women are treated equally in the secular world? Two totally different questions? Two different answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 09:10 AM
 
417 posts, read 436,675 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post



There is no right answer to this. We have been down this road before (http://www.city-data.com/forum/relig...rue-equal.html). If there is a household where there is a husband and wife with children that thinks that they are living a truly equal relationship, I would love to hear from both sides.
I don't have kids, though I don't foresee anything changing at that time.

My wife and I have different strengths and weaknesses. For example, we balance those in such as a way as I manage the finances, and she looks after our health and diet.

I consider us to be equals and we divide up the workload as such. She's a better cook, so she does that, and I do all the dishes. She washes the dogs, and I pick up their poop. We each do our own laundry...

I see it as an equal partnership and we don't make any major moves without agreeing on it.

I don't see how that isn't a truly equal relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 09:22 AM
 
Location: among the chaos
2,135 posts, read 3,027,958 times
Reputation: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJLethal View Post
I don't have kids, though I don't foresee anything changing at that time.

My wife and I have different strengths and weaknesses. For example, we balance those in such as a way as I manage the finances, and she looks after our health and diet.

I consider us to be equals and we divide up the workload as such. She's a better cook, so she does that, and I do all the dishes. She washes the dogs, and I pick up their poop. We each do our own laundry...

I see it as an equal partnership and we don't make any major moves without agreeing on it.

I don't see how that isn't a truly equal relationship.
I agree. It does certainly sound equal. Do you both provide income into the household? What would happen if you wanted to buy a big screen TV or a boat and you could not agree? IMHO, there just has to be a HEAD of the household and someone has to hold that position. However, that is just my opionion.

I would have to say that my household works much like yours. In fact, I had surgery two weeks ago and my husband has had to do ALL the household chores and bring home the bacon. However, I do not work outside of the home and I take care of most of the household chores. However, when my husband and I disagree on an issue, he usually has the swing vote. We will discuss it, certainly. He will listen and I know that he truly respects and desires my POV. But if a decision HAS to be made on an issue, his vote will out rule mine. I am fine with that. We have never run into in marriage-threatening issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Swamps of Florida
3,427 posts, read 6,514,026 times
Reputation: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post

I guess my question would have to be, are you asking about a husband and wife's position in the family? Or are you asking if women are treated equally in the secular world? Two totally different questions? Two different answers.

I am not asking about husband and wife, i am asking about women in general. I really wanted to see from a Christian point of view. With so much contradictions in the bible, it gets confusing of how things actually work LOL
I posted couple of verses which show inequalities, but then ILNC posted some, but i think her verses were more about husband and wife, not men and women in general. how Christians think that in today society women are equal to man? Because it's apparent that bible states the opposite, if it does so, then it's contradicting with their believes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 10:38 AM
 
Location: among the chaos
2,135 posts, read 3,027,958 times
Reputation: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I am not asking about husband and wife, i am asking about women in general. I really wanted to see from a Christian point of view. With so much contradictions in the bible, it gets confusing of how things actually work LOL
I posted couple of verses which show inequalities, but then ILNC posted some, but i think her verses were more about husband and wife, not men and women in general. how Christians think that in today society women are equal to man? Because it's apparent that bible states the opposite, if it does so, then it's contradicting with their believes.

Well, then, it is a man's world and I don't foresee that changing any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2008, 02:19 PM
 
417 posts, read 436,675 times
Reputation: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
I agree. It does certainly sound equal. Do you both provide income into the household? What would happen if you wanted to buy a big screen TV or a boat and you could not agree? IMHO, there just has to be a HEAD of the household and someone has to hold that position. However, that is just my opionion.

I would have to say that my household works much like yours. In fact, I had surgery two weeks ago and my husband has had to do ALL the household chores and bring home the bacon. However, I do not work outside of the home and I take care of most of the household chores. However, when my husband and I disagree on an issue, he usually has the swing vote. We will discuss it, certainly. He will listen and I know that he truly respects and desires my POV. But if a decision HAS to be made on an issue, his vote will out rule mine. I am fine with that. We have never run into in marriage-threatening issues.
We both earn incomes, although mine is double hers. The system we have worked out is that I pay for all the joint bills (rent, utilities etc.) and she pays for her own bills and our food. She does the bulk of the housework, and I set aside all the money for our retirement. We each get some spending money, no questions asked.

It's a good balance that we have agreed upon, which also plays to our strengths. It's a pretty good setup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top