Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:13 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm going to jump right in here and likely get stung!

I do not think churches should be taxed on what is donated, i.e., offerings, tithes, or for the actual church building and property upon which it is built.

Some of us do not attend for-profit churches! Our church even gives 10% of monthly offerings to other Christian services such as missions, children's home, etc.

I would agree that churches who profit from holding land or businesses should be taxed on that profit. I think that is stretching the law for a nonprofit organization.

The divorce between Church and State ought to be absolute. It ought to be so absolute that no Church property anywhere, in any state or in the nation, should be exempt for equal taxation; for if you exempt the property of any church organization to that extent you impose a tax upon the whole community.

— James A Garfield, 20th U.S. President (1881)

If the divorce is absolute, then why should the church pay the government for anything? I wholeheartedly disagree with the statement attributed to Mr. Garfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 06:23 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Just imagine if we all divorced ourselves from the State and didn't pay taxes. Boy, would I love that---sometimes! I view that separation as implying something other than taxation!

Otherwise, I think we are in agreement about what how the Churches are tithed by the government--tax property, land and non-church related assets; give the churches exempt status for occupied church property.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:30 PM

1,155 posts, read 3,333,584 times
The divorce between Church and State ought to be absolute. It ought to be so absolute that no Church property anywhere, in any state or in the nation, should be exempt for equal taxation; for if you exempt the property of any church organization to that extent you impose a tax upon the whole community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
If the divorce is absolute, then why should the church pay the government for anything? I wholeheartedly disagree with the statement attributed to Mr. Garfield.
Why not? Just like any other business.

Old 02-24-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyHateMachine View Post

Why not? Just like any other business.

Not a business...not for profit; provides non-reimbursed services for people of the community. Qualifies as a nonprofit organization.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:53 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,273,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I was just curious, what are your feelings on churches being tax exempt?
As long as churches (or temples or synagogues or mosques or whatever) are non-profit organizations, they should not be taxed.

But so many of the televangelists, "Christian" amusement parks, etc. are pretty obviously for-profit organizations.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:59 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
Quote:
Not a business...not for profit; provides non-reimbursed services for people of the community. Qualifies as a nonprofit organization.
Not always.

Those "administrative" costs are suspiciously high. Add that to some of the EXPENSIVE and ornate churches out there. Then look at the cars some of the clergy drive that the church pays for. Do they really need a Mercedes to do "god's work"? I've seen it plenty.

While those funds that go to helping the poor in the community I can understand (not agree)not being taxed, what about those funds that go toward church services and events? I find this to be a form of entertainment. What I want to know is why things like that aren't taxed?

I have a lot of issues with the whole system. Why? Because I'm paying for it. When churches don't have to pay tax, the money the govt is NOT receiving has to come from you and me. I for one don't want to pay for any of it. Unfortunately, nobody asks me. They just take my money.

-TT

Old 02-24-2007, 08:35 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,623 times
I was just curious, what are your feelings on churches being tax exempt?

Churches should absolutely pay taxes. Even Jesus said so, "Render unto God what is God's, and render to unto Caesar what is Caesar's."

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 02-24-2007 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 02-24-2007, 08:38 PM

Yap, you and I are never going to agree on these things, so I won't try to convince you otherwise. But I will give you my opinions, and my beliefs, and my experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
Not always.

Those "administrative" costs are suspiciously high. Add that to some of the EXPENSIVE and ornate churches out there. Then look at the cars some of the clergy drive that the church pays for. Do they really need a Mercedes to do "god's work"? I've seen it plenty.
The churches are paid for by donations from its members/attendees/concerned persons, and is not an "earned" income by the church. Therefore the money that is spent for the building is based on donations - in my experience a special "building fund", separate from the regular tithes and offerings. Our pastor buys his own car(s) from the salary he more than earns.

While those funds that go to helping the poor in the community I can understand (not agree)not being taxed, what about those funds that go toward church services and events? I find this to be a form of entertainment. What I want to know is why things like that aren't taxed? Just because you see it as entertainment, most of America doesn't. Our spiritual life on earth is just as important as our physical life and we are not asking others to contribute money for our worship services. We carry our own weight.

I have a lot of issues with the whole system. Why? Because I'm paying for it. When churches don't have to pay tax, the money the govt is NOT receiving has to come from you and me. I for one don't want to pay for any of it. Unfortunately, nobody asks me. They just take my money. Sorry you feel that way, but we, the members, pay our taxes and give to our church. If our church were taxed on money we contribute, then we would essentially be paying double taxes on the same money. WE are the church.

-TT

Old 02-24-2007, 08:43 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
FL_TN_Nana, you are speaking of your own church.

I think this is where we all part company and don't find common language: your church, his church, the generic churches--these all operate differently.

Old 02-24-2007, 08:44 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,613,632 times
Quote:
I have a lot of issues with the whole system. Why? Because I'm paying for it. When churches don't have to pay tax, the money the govt is NOT receiving has to come from you and me. I for one don't want to pay for any of it. Unfortunately, nobody asks me. They just take my money. Sorry you feel that way, but we, the members, pay our taxes and give to our church. If our church were taxed on money we contribute, then we would essentially be paying double taxes on the same money. WE are the church.
Uhhm, no. Donations to churches are tax deductible. You would not be paying "double taxes". You would be PAYING TAXES

*I* am not the church. I am a victim of the church. While everyone gets to deduct their donations, and the church gets off scott free with taxes, I'm sitting here paying, paying, and paying.

-TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality