Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 02:17 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
In order for your dreams to be "visions from god", you must believe in one. So, if you try harder, you might be surprised that one day, you'll wake up as a black tall guy with a fat checking account. Keep on praying my friend, keep on praying.....
I wasn't a believer when I had my dream. Neither were many atheists who had experiences which 'woke them up'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 02:21 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 19,999,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. If you believe in any currently mainstream organized religion, you are devout and spiritual.

If you believe in anything else, you are crazy and have a thorazine deficiency.

Makes tons of sense. Mass delusion = socially/psychiatrically acceptable.
Actually it's if you admit to believing, according to those who believe in nothing, then you're crazy and have a reality deficiency.

Old 11-29-2008, 03:13 AM

790 posts, read 1,732,836 times
lol. I knew exactly what this thread was going to be about before i opened up...

Old 11-29-2008, 08:18 AM

852 posts, read 1,364,987 times
Default fully agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Public_Newsense View Post
That's how I feel about the one I just mentioned. But I don't agree you always know. I think some people hear but aren't really listening.
Public Newsense,
I fully agree that some people aren't listening. I didn't listen when I had the first 5 or 6 dreams...I and the people I told about them just thought "wow, that is weird"....it wasn't until later that I realized what a miracle these dreams were, that they don't happen to just everyone, and that the only explanation was that they were from God. I don't have them often...only 1 or so every year or two. but even when I hadn't realized they were from God I still woke knowing which ones would happen and which ones were "junk dreams." I don't think anyone can explain the "feeling" that encompasses these dreams, or anyway I can't. I wasn't listening at the beginning and regret that now...but God has a plan. Now I am older and have enough faith for myself and many of those who doubt. I think he gave me "proof" so that at least all those that I know and told about the dreams could have their "proof" also. I would love to be able to say that when I realized they were from God that I had more and more. ....but no, that didn't happen. They still come at the same slow pace. It's only recently that I've figured out that not very many people have dreams that truely come true...in fact, I don't think I've even met one...not even here. Wish I had though. I'm sure there's someone else out there that it has happened to.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:41 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
smiling optimist wrote:
Quote:
Haha, Montana's where it's at!!! I'm from Dillon, hour south of Butte.
I spent alot of time growing up in Dillon. My aunt and uncle and cousin lived there and we used to go there often to visit them and also to Twin Bridges, Sheridan and those other small towns in the Ruby Valley where my parents are from.
As far as the dreams are concerned I think it's possible that the human mind may at the subconscious level have the ability to ease our emotional pain and distress in the form of dreams. Afterall, I think dreams must serve some purpose or we wouldn't even have them in the first place. I just don't think they're a message from a God or a deceased loved one because I don't believe that God exists and I don't believe that life continues in another form after our bodies die which would rule out the possibility of being able to send a message. Of course there's alot we don't know about the human brain and it's an interesting subject.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryturner View Post
You will know if you have a dream from God. Guaranteed.
Right...we're all just jealous because the imaginary voices in your head talk to you and not us.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:55 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Actually I much prefer erotic dreams...Are they from God?

Old 11-29-2008, 09:13 AM

56 posts, read 66,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
smiling optimist wrote:

I spent alot of time growing up in Dillon. My aunt and uncle and cousin lived there and we used to go there often to visit them and also to Twin Bridges, Sheridan and those other small towns in the Ruby Valley where my parents are from.
As far as the dreams are concerned I think it's possible that the human mind may at the subconscious level have the ability to ease our emotional pain and distress in the form of dreams. Afterall, I think dreams must serve some purpose or we wouldn't even have them in the first place. I just don't think they're a message from a God or a deceased loved one because I don't believe that God exists and I don't believe that life continues in another form after our bodies die which would rule out the possibility of being able to send a message. Of course there's alot we don't know about the human brain and it's an interesting subject.
A 'wakeful dream' of the presence of god, (or any other favoured deity), is possible when the temporal lobes of the human brain are artificially stimulated with the application of an electro-magnetic field to the appropriate area of the cranium. This is well-researched and documented.

What most people taking part in these tests experience fits in well with their pre-conceived ideas of what supernatural entity they happen to believe in, and therefore has a clear cultural bias, just as you would expect. If our dreams reflect this phenomenon of brain-chemistry, as is likely, occasional dreams of a religious nature are not very surprising. A Muslim may have an overwhelming sense of Allah or Mohammed, whilst someone with a Christian background will interpret the Divine element in the dream as being from Christ.

Subject someone like Richard Dawkins to the same brain stimulation, however, and the result is very different. Atheists, generally, are not affected by such stimulation in the least. This must tell us something about our individual susceptibility to religious experiences.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:00 AM

852 posts, read 1,364,987 times
[quote=purplefig;6350630]A 'wakeful dream' of the presence of god, (or any other favoured deity), is possible when the temporal lobes of the human brain are artificially stimulated with the application of an electro-magnetic field to the appropriate area of the cranium. This is well-researched and documented.
quote]

So what is the answer to dreams that do come true....Actual dreams of things happening? They happen within 1-6 months of having the dream...in detail.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:57 AM

713 posts, read 1,956,961 times
America will burn... this guy had a dream from God!

YouTube - A Warning To America by Dimitru Duduman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality