Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 01:53 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,572,522 times

Advertisements

Are we who want to follow Christ willing to lay down our lives for Him,submit to Him,give up our valuable possessions in order to follow Him ? Or do we want to follow the ways of the world get caught up in earthly possessions ,have everyone as our friend in a charismatic sort of way, thereby ignoring Heavenly aspirations? Which way does your heart yearn for Earthly or Heavenly aspirations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 09:07 AM

777 posts, read 1,441,061 times
Amen noland,

Quote:
And He was saying to them all, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.
"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake, he is the one who will save it.
"For what is a man profited if he gains the whole world, and loses or forfeits himself?
"For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when He comes in His glory, and the glory of the Father and of the holy angels.
"But I say to you truthfully, there are some of those standing here who will not taste death until they see the kingdom of God."

Luke 9:23-27
Certainly no one wants to lose his life or give up possessions,
and I don’t think this is an actual call for all Christians to give up everything and die.

Rather, it is a call to put our priorities in the correct order.
‘Understanding that: this life is short, but life in Christ is eternal.
‘Understanding that: the gateway into eternal life is too narrow to bring the treasures of this world.

Compared to what lies beyond, big houses, huge flat screen TVs, beautiful shiny cars, jewelry and all these trappings are but dust.
In and of themselves, they are not evil, but it is the love of money - the love of these things which is evil.
One cannot have two masters.

"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.
"For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?
"Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?
"And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?
"And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin,
yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.
"But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!
"Do not worry then, saying, 'What will we eat?' or 'What will we drink?' or 'What will we wear for clothing?'
"For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
"But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.

Matthew 6:24-33

"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;
for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Matthew 6:19-21

Thus this gospel of prosperity – to give - to get - is not something Jesus would have advocated.

For that man ought not to expect that he will receive anything from the Lord,
being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
James 1:7,8

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
James 4:8

"The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light.
Matthew 6:22 NASB
The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
Matthew 6:22KJV

Rather, it is a call to deny the lusts of the flesh – the self.
The idea that: we’re going to eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.
The idea that: no matter what, we’re going to take what we want – even at the expense of others.

"You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'
"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.
"If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.
"Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two.
"Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.
"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'
"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Matthew 5:38-44

As you read this below - when you see “flesh”, insert the word, “SELF”

For those who are according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who are according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
For the mind set on the flesh is death, but the mind set on the Spirit is life and peace,
because the mind set on the flesh is hostile toward God; for it does not subject itself to the law of God, for it is not even able to do so,
and those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
Romans 8:5-8

Do not eat the bread of a selfish man, Or desire his delicacies;
For as he thinks within himself, so he is. He says to you, "Eat and drink!" But his heart is not with you.
Proverbs 23:6,7

However, you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. But if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him.
If Christ is in you, though the body is dead because of sin, yet the spirit is alive because of righteousness.
But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh--
for if you are living according to the flesh, you must die; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Romans 8:9-13

We’re not to seek to satisfy, commend, and exalt SELF – but God above all things and His Son Jesus Christ.

For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
Romans 8:14

Last edited by Richio; 11-27-2008 at 09:16 AM..

Old 11-27-2008, 10:24 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,105 times
Good post again--Ricchio...Keep your faith
God Bless
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality