Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
Yes society could do without all of the religions,but one can't keep God out of the picture and what His Son Jesus Christ did for us on the cross for those who believe.
I don't think you understood the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:42 PM

917 posts, read 2,299,188 times
Well when you look at some of the countries that have a very high percentage of athiest like Sweeden and Denmark...those countries never get involved in wars, they always stay neutral.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:12 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,315,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
A lot of Christian violence in the middle ages was not done solely because of religion, but because of financial reasons revolving around religion. These crusaders and other religious extremists would have invaded these lands anyway, because it was all about the gold. Most of European history after about 500 AD is centered on money.

I was actually talking about the inquisition more than the crusades. The inquisition was when Phillip of Spain who was a zealous catholic decided that anyone who was a heritic (ie: didn't follow the rules of the catholic church to the letter ) would be tortured and burned at the stake.It became wide spread, political and extremely cruel. Phillip having a lot of power in Europe at the time.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
The problem with religion is that it divides instead of unites, anybody outside of a religious belief system is not seen as an equal, so how can you have a just society based on a religious belief system.
That's true people would be either oppressed or shunned or worse if they did not hold to the official belief.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:43 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,576,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I don't think you understood the OP.
I understood the OP perfectly and God is the only way through His Son Jesus Christ, not man-made religions,this world would be a lot better place,but man finds a way to bring the world down ,make it more complicated than it should be.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:55 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
I understood the OP perfectly and God is the only way through His Son Jesus Christ, not man-made religions,this world would be a lot better place,but man finds a way to bring the world down ,make it more complicated than it should be.
Totally agree

Old 12-01-2008, 02:58 PM

Quote:

So you believe that the world would be a better place with just one religion....your religion. Unfortunately other religions believe the exact same thing as you and that's what causes the problems.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:04 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
What make you think that other religions are man made, but Christianity is the exception?...I believe they are all man made.

Religion is probably the greatest complication there is in society. It interferes with governments, causes wars and genocide and tramples on human rights, etc. In my opinion mankind would be a far better place without it, but I doubt if I'll ever see that day. I can only hope that my children or grandchildren will live to see a secular society.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:05 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,383,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
So you believe that the world would be a better place with just one religion....your religion. Unfortunately other religions believe the exact same thing as you and that's what causes the problems.
I think what he means is that the world does not need religion, it needs Jesus.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I think what he means is that the world does not need religion, it needs Jesus.

uuummm isn't that your religion? Your belief? Other people out there feel just as strongly about there own deity.I know you believe that yours is the only one but that is exactly my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality