Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 10:12 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
This is just a question, so please folks, please understand I am not trying to debunk the movie or christianity. During the time of Jesus, such as the time leading up to his resurrection, the jewish people were around the romans, is there anything in writing in the roman historic literature which references Jesus? One would think something was written somewhere to tie in the events in the bible were noted somewhere in roman empire scrolls, etc!
Just a thought.
Yep a lot. Several ancient secular (non-Christian) writers wrote about Jesus.

Cornelius Tacitus (A.D. 52-54)
Lucian of Samosata ( ? )
Flavius Josephus (A.D. 37)
Suetonius (A.D. 120)
Plinius Secundus (Also known as Pliny the Younger. He was a Governor in Asia Minor around A.D.112 )
Thallus (A.D. 52)
Phlegon (First Century)

Some Rabbinical references Jesus

Baraia - Babylonia Sanhedrin 43a
The Amoa "Ulla"
The Talmud

Even the Encyclopedia Britannica, fifteenth edition, uses 20,000 words to discribe Jesus. The evidance is there and it's not hard to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2007, 11:15 AM

436 posts, read 681,811 times
"Jesus tomb found."

My dog was digging in the backyard and I'm pretty sure he unearthed Tinker Bell's resting place, but..

I'd rather read Darwin than the Bible, and I'd rather see my dog digging dirt than watch Disney specials.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:33 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,189,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks View Post

Lucian of Samosata ( ? )
Suetonius (A.D. 120)
Plinius Secundus (Also known as Pliny the Younger. He was a Governor in Asia Minor around A.D.112 )
Thallus (A.D. 52)
Phlegon (First Century)

The Amoa "Ulla"
The Talmud

Even the Encyclopedia Britannica, fifteenth edition, uses 20,000 words to discribe Jesus. The evidance is there and it's not hard to find.
THANKS!!!!

Old 03-12-2007, 02:08 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:

Lucian of Samosata ( ? )
Suetonius (A.D. 120)
Thallus (A.D. 52)
Phlegon (First Century)

The Amoa "Ulla"
The Talmud

None of these were first hand accounts. All were results of heresay, just like the Encyclopedia Britannica, which also describes the God of War, Thor.

Some of your dates aren't correct either.
Cornelius Tacitus, (A.D. 52-54) Not born until A.D. 56
Lucian of Samosata, a 2nd Century Satirist
Josephus published his Antiquities of the Jewsin 97 a.d.

There are no references in Roman records and from no writings during his time from those who would've been present had these events occurred. But, people will believe what they want to believe.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:57 PM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
None of these were first hand accounts. All were results of heresay, just like the Encyclopedia Britannica, which also describes the God of War, Thor.

Some of your dates aren't correct either.
Cornelius Tacitus, (A.D. 52-54) Not born until A.D. 56
Lucian of Samosata, a 2nd Century Satirist
Josephus published his Antiquities of the Jewsin 97 a.d.

There are no references in Roman records and from no writings during his time from those who would've been present had these events occurred. But, people will believe what they want to believe.
I thank you, Amaznjohn, for this post of yours. See folks this is exactly what I knew would happen--present evidance to a skeptic (just like liberals when confronted with the truth) and they will bold face DENY IT!

Why your "amazing" alright, John!

Old 03-13-2007, 11:44 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
I thank you, Amaznjohn, for this post of yours. See folks this is exactly what I knew would happen--present evidance to a skeptic (just like liberals when confronted with the truth) and they will bold face DENY IT!

Why your "amazing" alright, John!
Yet you DENY the existence of the tomb of Jesus. Do you see any similarities to your claim about presenting evidence to a skeptic?

Your "evidence" is not considered evidence if its not accurate. Hearsay is not confirmation of an event. There is NO, none, zilch, independent confirming documentation that Jesus existed. However, I do believe that this documentary makes a good case in that regard. I am willing to accept the possibility that Jesus existed, if the Christians are willing to accept that he was not physically raised from the dead.

Old 03-13-2007, 01:00 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Yet you DENY the existence of the tomb of Jesus. Do you see any similarities to your claim about presenting evidence to a skeptic?

Your "evidence" is not considered evidence if its not accurate. Hearsay is not confirmation of an event. There is NO, none, zilch, independent confirming documentation that Jesus existed. However, I do believe that this documentary makes a good case in that regard. I am willing to accept the possibility that Jesus existed, if the Christians are willing to accept that he was not physically raised from the dead.
Exactly, only their evidence ( if you can even call it that) is valid.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:15 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,278 times
What makes you think a "man" can show the evidence you are looking for?
God sent Jesus to tell people about him. After everything Jesus did like, healing the blind man, walked on water, feed's 5,000, raises Lazarus from the dead and so many other things .
Some people still did not believe.
When the men came to get Jesus and take him away. His disciples started to fight to safe him. Jesus stopped them .
He said, don't you think if I wanted to I could call unto the heaven to save me.

* FAITH*
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exist and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. Hebrews 11:6

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-
and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.
Ephesians 2:8.

We live by faith not by sight .
2 Corinthians 5:7.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:17 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNN View Post
What makes you think a "man" can show the evidence you are looking for?
God sent Jesus to tell people about him. After everything Jesus did like, healing the blind man, walked on water, feed's 5,000, raises Lazarus from the dead and so many other things .
Some people still did not believe.
When the men came to get Jesus and take him away. His disciples started to fight to safe him. Jesus stopped them .
He said, don't you think if I wanted to I could call unto the heaven to save me.

* FAITH*
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exist and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. Hebrews 11:6

For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-
and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God.
Ephesians 2:8.

We live by faith not by sight .
2 Corinthians 5:7.

Quoting the Bible doesnt mean much to those that dont go by or believe in it. Faith isnt proof or fact, it is just faith. I have faith in things everyday doesnt mean they are true, more of I hope they are.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:40 PM

4,781 posts, read 2,083,278 times
Nea1,
Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message,
and the message is heard through the word of Christ.

Sorry if I offended you, I was just giving my opinion like everyone else on here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality