U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 10:18 AM

1,393 posts, read 129,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
If we are all children of God (which is my personal belief), then wouldn't all of us have God's DNA?
Your probably right but, I believe it would have been only God's connection. They can't just find a guy named Jesus and assume it's the ONE and ONLY Jesus. They are going to need to prove much more then, a family with possibly all the same names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 10:26 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,563,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
This will probably show that a man named Jesus had a family and they just named there children these names. This is not the Son of God. I am sure this would have been spoken by Paul. Paul loved Jesus too much to not have mentioned a son or wife of Jesus. This is just another brick in the road to help non-believers justify their position that there is NO SON of GOD!!!
Or maybe the editors who compiled the books into the bible decided they didnít want that little piece of information since they had a set of beliefs and wanted a book to reflect those beliefs. For the messiah to have a child and a wife would detract from their underlying message they wanted in their book.

People who want to believe the story of the bible are so quick to accept any outside story that events might have occurred or people might have existed before any research is completed and are just as quick to deny as false any story that is not aligned with their beliefs before any research is completed.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:29 AM

It is the fact that these particular names have been discovered in the same tomb that has fueled speculation that it really could be Jesusí tomb. But there are many contradictory questions that need to be answered before one jumps to a conclusion that overturns centuries of historical scholarship.
Moderator cut: Provide a link instead of copying everything here, please
This just goes to show it's all about making money on a movie nothing more then, self greed to disclaim Jesus. What a pity that people will put money and popularity above Jesus and spend there days diclaiming the Son of God!!

Last edited by Marka; 12-07-2007 at 12:41 PM..

Old 02-28-2007, 10:32 AM

10,010 posts, read 12,237,426 times
Quote:
By Jesus having a family this would have made him like you and me and Christians believe he was more then that!!! His job was not to come and have a family and live happily ever after. Jesus knew his purpose on earth in the last moments he asked God to take this burden from him. Not because God didn't love him it's what he had to do. God gave his ONLY Son to die for our sins. No other religion gives us something so close to God as Jesus does. I believe this was done because as humans we know the pain over the loss of a child nothing can compare to the heart break. Just think of what God felt that day and continues to feel over people denying and trying to disprove the glory of His Son!!!
If he had been accepted as the Messiah that day I wonder were we would be now. If he had been accepted then, there would be a possibility of a family!!
What's wrong with us and having a family?? I dont think this is trying to disprove his glory and they have never said or claimed that. on the contrary in fact. To me it would make him more, he was not only sacrificed but also gave up his family which would make it even more of a sacrifice to me. To me having a family is the greatest thing there is and it shows amazing love which is what I believe Jesus was about. If all these name connect ( I believe I read there are more which they hope show the names of his disciples besides the Matthew they found) it would be harder from me to deny, but to me it doesnt disprove anything other than assending to heaven in his body.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:34 AM

Quote:
It is the fact that these particular names have been discovered in the same tomb that has fueled speculation that it really could be Jesusí tomb. But there are many contradictory questions that need to be answered before one jumps to a conclusion that overturns centuries of historical scholarship.

Actually in the film they do talk to several that disagree, you will need to watch the Discovery channel film to have these questions. I am not jumping to any conclusions, I will watch the show for more info. many on here are jumping to the conclussion it is false without all the info.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Or maybe the editors who compiled the books into the bible decided they didnít want that little piece of information since they had a set of beliefs and wanted a book to reflect those beliefs. For the messiah to have a child and a wife would detract from their underlying message they wanted in their book.

People who want to believe the story of the bible are so quick to accept any outside story that events might have occurred or people might have existed before any research is completed and are just as quick to deny as false any story that is not aligned with their beliefs before any research is completed.
See I agree with this completely, Jesus didnt write the Bible, others did and may have put their own "Spin " on it. I want to seeall the research, if the Bible is in fact completely true, it shouldnt be hard to prove with time and research.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 AM

Quote:

He isnt making much money on the documentary at all. It wont be in theatres. And from what I understand the last guy you quoted, didnt know Mary magdelene's real name they never put it all together. No one has said he wasnt resurrected, just not in Body but in Spirit.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:48 AM

Here is what they say:: The most controversial ossuary pulled from the Tomb of the Ten Ossuaries was undoubtedly the one inscribed “Judah, son of Jesus,” the ossuary of a child. If indeed the tomb uncovered in East Talpiot in 1980 is that of Jesus and his family, and if indeed Jesus of Nazareth had a son, this ossuary contradicts dramatically nearly 2000 years of Christian tradition.

It’s true that the New Testament says nothing about Jesus having a wife or fathering a child, but it doesn’t say he didn’t. It’s true that Jesus commended John the Baptist’s ascetic choices, but he didn’t say they were for him. The fact is, the celibate life was not a big part of Hebrew tradition. The command "Be fruitful and multiply" (Genesis 1:28) was taken very seriously. A large family was a blessing from God (Genesis 22:17); sterility was a curse (1 Samuel 1:6-8); and virginity grievous (Judges 11:37). Rabbis, especially, were expected to be observantly fruitful.

In the end, the most Jesus ever said about the issue of celibacy was: "Let anyone accept this who can" (Mt. 19:12). It was the early Church fathers who connected sex with sin (outside of such Hebrew Bible prohibitions as incest, adultery, and masturbation) and began to build the story of Jesus’ celibacy.

Absolutely nothing in the New Testament indicates that Jesus was celibate. He could very well have been married and had children.

Could Judah, son of Jesus have been the “Beloved Disciple” mentioned in the Gospels? If the “Judah” of ossuary 80/501 was still alive after the crucifixion, he would have been protected by Jesus’ followers. If spoken of at all, he would have been referred to in code.

The child of a pretender to the throne would have been a target, especially in those turbulent times, with Jewish revolt in the air and the Romans not on their home turf.

A glance through history reveals that the Romans killed heirs to those who were contenders for kingship, even as they let siblings live. And a son of Jesus would have been a claimant to the Davidic throne.

And:t is the central tenet of Christian faith that, some time around 30 BCE, Jesus of Nazareth rose from the dead three days after his crucifixion. The Resurrection is described in each of the four Gospels.

“The Lost Tomb Of Jesus” does not challenge the Resurrection. It asks viewers to consider the possibility that the Resurrection occurred from a second tomb.

The writer of the Gospel of Matthew (28:12-15) addresses a rumor that was circulating in Jerusalem at the time of the Crucifixion, a rumor that we suggest can be taken for the truth. The rumor was that the disciples came by night to remove Jesus’ body from the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea. They would have done this to safeguard his remains from desecrators.

His followers then would have taken the body of Jesus to a permanent tomb.

Even if Jesus were moved from one tomb to another, this does not negate the possibility that he was resurrected from the second tomb. Our documentary does not address this issue. Belief in the resurrection is based not on which tomb he was buried in, but on alleged sightings of Jesus that occurred after his burial and that are documented in the Gospels.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
What's wrong with us and having a family?? I dont think this is trying to disprove his glory and they have never said or claimed that. on the contrary in fact. To me it would make him more, he was not only sacrificed but also gave up his family which would make it even more of a sacrifice to me. To me having a family is the greatest thing there is and it shows amazing love which is what I believe Jesus was about. If all these name connect ( I believe I read there are more which they hope show the names of his disciples besides the Matthew they found) it would be harder from me to deny, but to me it doesnt disprove anything other than assending to heaven in his body.
Oh sure I could see the hate of God now. How could a loving God take him from his family!!! Jesus came to save us from our sins not to live with a family happily ever after. There is nothing wrong with us having a family. People are covering up the purpose of Jesus life on earth. A family would have been mentioned by Paul or someone I don't believe this would have been left out. You must remember he left Mary and Joseph at a young age to start His mission as the Messiah. HE knew why HE was here on earth and it wasn't too produce children. We are always trying to put God and Jesus on human level what would the importance be if they were just imperfect humans like us. I just don't believe I could worship one that was on the same level as human JESUS was so much more then, human like HE was prefect and did all for the love of humans.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:51 AM

1,275 posts, read 1,563,853 times
Quote:
This just goes to show it's all about making money on a movie nothing more then, self greed to disclaim Jesus. What a pity that people will put money and popularity above Jesus and spend there days diclaiming the Son of God!!
Can you please cite the source for all your information that asked the questions. Maybe if we know where you copied the information from we can rebut what they are asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality