Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 10:16 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preterist View Post
It is laughable to me to see atheists attempt to take the high ground. Those of faith are clearly the backbone of this nation which was founded on Christian principles. How is it that Christians are, then, seen as attempting to take over? How does one take over that which he rightfully and historically owns?

Is it not the atheist who now wants to make of America something she was never created to be? Is it not the atheist who wants dominion--who masquerades as a force for tolerance when its ultimate goal is to stamp out religion wherever it finds it? Is it not atheism that kicked God out of schools and despises and fights against any public display of reverence for God? Is it not atheism that has infiltrated our schools systems with its anti-God, anti-moral, Evolution doctrines?

Do not point your fingers at Christianity and accuse it of dominion. It cannot wrongly dominate that which was created by it and for it! It is atheism that is the intruder. It is atheism that is intolerant while it points its finger at Christianity and shouts "intolerance!"

This nation was created by religious people seeking a nation under God. As such, those of faith are the true natives. Atheists should expect to be as much an anomaly in America as a Christian should expect to be in a Muslim nation. We would not go to Iraq and insist that they proclaim the Christ of Christianity and demand that Christianity have an influence in their Islamic society. Neither should atheists feel that they have the right to impose their antithetical, godless tenets upon the Judeo-Christian society in which they are privileged to live.

Why do atheists find it strange that those of faith want to preserve that upon which this nation was founded? We seek only to maintain our Judeo-Christian heritage. It is the atheist who is the dominionist because he will never be content living alongside those of faith--his ultimate goal is to wipe them out once and for all. Tolerant atheism is an oxymoron!

Preterist
And just what did you Christians do to the native people who were already here, your Christianity has the blood of millions on its hands for the deaths of many native people who were already living on this land for millennium before you showed up and forcefully took something which never belong to you in the name of your Christian God. So let me hear you speak of that and try to justify what Christianity did to my people and choose your words very carefully, my great-grandmother and some members of her/my family survived The Trail of Tears, others did not and are buried along that trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 10:18 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,381,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
But what kind of Christians?
Just another little fringe group.
Who knows what kind of Christians they are - but I'm betting that they fancy themselves as the most "correct" kind.

Technically, they are a "non-denominational Protestant" group...

Christian Exodus

Old 12-02-2008, 11:32 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
And just what did you Christians do to the native people who were already here, your Christianity has the blood of millions on its hands for the deaths of many native people who were already living on this land for millennium before you showed up and forcefully took something which never belong to you in the name of your Christian God. So let me hear you speak of that and try to justify what Christianity did to my people and choose your words very carefully, my great-grandmother and some members of her/my family survived The Trail of Tears, others did not and are buried along that trail.
While I feel badly that so many people were treated so poorly, I also feel that it's done and there is nothing that will undo it. Those who are alive now did not suffer through it, just as black people in America today did not suffer through slavery. My ancestors were woefully discriminated against in the past as well, and suffered terrible hardships because of it, but that doesn't mean that I am owed anything for it. It's human nature for a stronger culture to overwhelm a weaker one -- it's happened time and time again over the course of civilization. That doesn't make it "right" but it also doesn't mean that the grudge should be carried indefinitely.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:46 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
While I feel badly that so many people were treated so poorly, I also feel that it's done and there is nothing that will undo it. Those who are alive now did not suffer through it, just as black people in America today did not suffer through slavery. My ancestors were woefully discriminated against in the past as well, and suffered terrible hardships because of it, but that doesn't mean that I am owed anything for it. It's human nature for a stronger culture to overwhelm a weaker one -- it's happened time and time again over the course of civilization. That doesn't make it "right" but it also doesn't mean that the grudge should be carried indefinitely.
You are correct and I carry no grudge but I also do not like the fact that a holier than thou Christian is trying to misconstrue the truth to make themselves look good in the eyes of their so called Christian God. They talk of intolerance and yet they are the biggest hypocrites when it comes to tolerance, to understand that, my people were here for millennium before the European Christian came to this land and try to forcibly change our belief system and culture and stole our children from us in the name of their Christianity to teach their beliefs to them and to try to eradicate our culture, so where is the tolerance in that? I have lived too many years and seen too many things that Christianity has done to my people and our culture to not speak up and call a lie a lie. I can live in peace and harmony with any culture or religion so long as they show respect for me and my culture and acknowledge the fact that we are here and that we do exist in our native land.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
This is the opposite question from the thread regarding the influence of religion in society. I'm curious what religious people really think of atheists like myself, not so much as individuals but our overall influence and impact in society. I realize that religious people and atheists have totally opposite points of view regarding the existence of God but are there some of you who honestly feel that atheism is detrimental to our society? And if you think it is please explain why. Thanks.
yes.

Especially the neo-atheist crowd of Dawkins and Hitchens. I have yet to see a real, logical argument against God from any of them. Most of their schtick just involves belittling believers.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:08 PM

56 posts, read 66,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
yes.

Especially the neo-atheist crowd of Dawkins and Hitchens. I have yet to see a real, logical argument against God from any of them. Most of their schtick just involves belittling believers.
Just an idle thought:

Say you had grown up in a land where god and religion had never been heard of or spoken about. What, then, would be your direct evidence for the existence of any supernatural being?

Dare I suggest that the conspicuous absence of anything in the world around you that might prompt you to make such a great discovery would be the most convincing 'proof' that God does not exist, rather than he does? My guess is that such a thought would never cross your mind even once, unless it was implanted there from birth.

Last edited by purplefig; 12-02-2008 at 12:18 PM..

Old 12-02-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
yes.

Again, repeating what has been stated in this forum umpteen times...the burden of proof is on those who claim a deity exists, NOT on those who do not believe.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:04 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,793 times
Quote:
yes.

Atheist argument against god is in a lack of evidence, physical evidence if you wish. We can't possibly prove god's non existence, because we believe it doesn't exist. However, part of prove is on you, you believe, you shall provide the fact of such deity existence, but remember, not everything in the bible is a fact, so if you want to list numerous scriptures, it will prove nothing to an atheist. Nothing, zilch!

Can you prove unicorns don't exist?

Old 12-02-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post

Of course they exist, along with dragons and other fantastical beasts. After all the bible mentions them so they have to be real.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:09 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
Atheist argument against god is in a lack of evidence, physical evidence if you wish. We can't possibly prove god's non existence, because we believe it doesn't exist. However, part of prove is on you, you believe, you shall provide the fact of such deity existence, but remember, not everything in the bible is a fact, so if you want to list numerous scriptures, it will prove nothing to an atheist. Nothing, zilch!

I'm an agnostic in regards to unicorns. I can make an educated guess, based on the fact that most of this world has been explored and they have not been discovered. But I'm not that arrogant to state that they could not possibly exist.

As for God..you have yet to give me ans answer to who created this universe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality