Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 05:06 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
Does this include all the crazy commands too ILNC?
Are you talking about the 10 Commandments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 PM

321 posts, read 679,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
Well, I do think they say that as some sort of cop-out. If you think about it, creationists are quite willing to use ID to attempt to "reason" with the scientific community. Yet, as soon as "reason" fails, they fall back on these kinds of hazy, cloudy, nonsensical statements that are not really subject to a logical reasoning process. It's sort of like a fall-back defense in a way.
I know it is Gretchen but offense can be taken when you call the spade the spade.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:13 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Condemned wrote:
Quote:
Does this include all the crazy commands too ILNC?
Oh please don't. ILNC is sincere and I consider her to be a friend. I remember asking my sister, who's also a Biblical literalist, where the husbands and wifes came from who married the children of Adam and Eve and she simply said "I don't know. The Bible doesn't say." I don't understand it either but I still love and respect my sister and she's a very intelligent person.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:39 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,351 times
First - Please enlighten me as to "sme".

Perhaps some Christians are embarrassed, by the OT.
I think many of them are barely familiar with it or how the NT relates to the OT.

It's so convenient and even comfortable to disregard the OT, but without it, one can't even begin to get a complete picture of what everything is all about.

Other Christians, get so involved in it, that they begin trying to comply with the letter of the Law.

"All Scripture is God breathed, and useful for instruction."
and "those things happened as examples for us." ...or something like that.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Condemned wrote:

Oh please don't. ILNC is sincere and I consider her to be a friend. I remember asking my sister, who's also a Biblical literalist, where the husbands and wifes came from who married the children of Adam and Eve and she simply said "I don't know. The Bible doesn't say." I don't understand it either but I still love and respect my sister and she's a very intelligent person.
I "know" her M.G. I know her style and I mean her no harm so why are you telling me "don't?" lol It's a fair question I ask her, don't you think? She's a ig kid. I think she can handle herself. Right ILNC?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richio View Post
First - Please enlighten me as to "sme".
Oh yeah. Can you go back and change that to "some" for me, please?

Thanks.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:59 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Condemned wrote:

Amen, MG. Left-brain dominant types simply do not comprehend the very real difference between an intellectual conclusion and a spiritual conviction . . . they proceed from very different sources of information about reality and very different methods of processing that information (right-brain dominant, intuitive, symbolic, feeling).

Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 PM

777 posts, read 1,441,351 times
Quote:
Oh yeah. Can you go back and change that to "some" for me, please?

Thanks.
LOL

I C Now!

Would - if I could (change it).

Old 12-02-2008, 06:19 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Condemned wrote:
Quote:
I "know" her M.G. I know her style and I mean her no harm so why are you telling me "don't?"
I guess the reason I said that is because I've been on this forum for almost two years and I feel like I've gotten to know many of the members pretty well and there are certain people who I feel like I know personally even though we haven't met in real life. We probably have alot in common because our views concerning religion are similar. The reason I became defensive is that ILNC is one of those individuals who respects people who have different views of reality and your comments just struck me the wrong way. That's not a problem though, let's just forget about it.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:39 PM

285 posts, read 535,534 times
Quote:
Way back when I used to actually attend church, I remember that some of my peers use to actually feel a certain sense of pride that they rarely read the Old Testament. They often said things to me like, "we're no longer under the law." Their forays into the O.T was to read an occasional Psalm, quote a Proverb or two, read up on a few "prophecies" [supposedly] predicting Jesus and the end times and a stop into the book of Leviticus to find an argument to condemn gays. Beyond that, most of them couldn't tell you where the Book of Habakkuk was or whether there was even such a book.

I also ask because it is clear all over the internet that one of the strongest arguments that critics have that I know must annoy Christians to no end is their constant harping on the repetitious bloodletting, sexism and other madness found in the O.T supposedly ordered and/or ordained by God. You have stories of God killing men for refusing to impregnate their dead brother's wife, laws discriminating against men with damaged "balls" along with illegitimate children as well as laws forcing rapists to marry rapees and I guess, vice versa.

I don't think many Christians even want to deal with trying to explain away these things in their beloved "word of God" and so the New Testament which is devoid of much of that madness gets far more attention. This has created an interesting thing, however. The critics actually learn more about the Bible then the actual believers. I have seen this in action first hand. I often get this look of bewilderment when certain Old Testament passages are pointed out. It's one of those "what the pluck?" moments I see in their eyes. You can tell they have never read or even heard of the passage.

Amazingly, I have even heard the admission that "it's great to have unbelievers around because they drive us to the word." Isn't that rather telling?

Ah...just my observation.
Hey man, christians dont even know the New Testament, most christians are biblically ignorant and dogma rich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality