Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 10:35 AM

3,086 posts, read 6,255,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
When I think about it, you're right though. The music plays on maybe because it creates distraction as not to deal with the matter on the table.
Exactly....good point. That's why we get these kind of threads, as a distraction from the real matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 AM

397 posts, read 1,021,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Oh ok, yes I am "big kid" I think Montana is sweet for looking out for me. We are good friends, yes a Christian and an Atheist can be friends

I understand how someone who does not know the Bible very well would think this, that's why we have realize that God did not condone everything in the Bible, just like He does not condone everything that happens to today. Also the time it was written has to be considered and to whom it was written. I believe the truth of the OT transcends through time.
No, my dear, that answer does not suffice. First, please do not assume that I don't know the bible very well. I have read the book from front to back many times. I am quite familiar with it - as I believe someone once said, reading the bible from beginning to end is the surest way to convert to atheism.

Also, again, I am not talking about the many bad things the Israelites and others did in and of themselves. People can do horrible things. I am referring to the terrible things God ORDERED and INCITED them to do. Those are the problematic parts.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:00 PM

23,000 posts, read 34,281,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post
No, my dear, that answer does not suffice. First, please do not assume that I don't know the bible very well. I have read the book from front to back many times. I am quite familiar with it - as I believe someone once said, reading the bible from beginning to end is the surest way to convert to atheism.

Also, again, I am not talking about the many bad things the Israelites and others did in and of themselves. People can do horrible things. I am referring to the terrible things God ORDERED and INCITED them to do. Those are the problematic parts.
I know most atheist know the Bible and many have read all of it and can quote it better than some Christians, but God has given all believers the Holy Spirit who lives within us to help us (believers) understand the truth.
There were times God ordered destruction of an entire population to protect His people from idol worship, but they did not completely destroy these evil people as commanded and Israel was inconstantly oppressed by them and experienced greater bloodshed and destruction then if they had followed God's instructions. Sometimes God will ask us to do things we think are strange or we don't understand so we don't do it, but I believe God knows best and listening to Him is always best, at least it works that way in my life.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 PM

321 posts, read 677,569 times
Well ILNC, the god of the bible seems quite inept to me then. He has to kill off other people to protect his own people from idolatry which clearly did not work out to well?

I want to think there was a huge world out there at the time, with lots of vast expanses of free land. I could never figure out why the biblical god decided on a slice of land that was ALREADY inhabited and then send in his henchmen to kill people who did not instigate anything with them. How about magically transporting them out of Egypt to saaaaay, northwestern Canada or something. I'm sure the locals could have shared some of that land especially if god asked nicely.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:52 PM

558 posts, read 1,829,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen_SDCA View Post

Please give specific examples if you want specific answers.

The Abraham and Isaac example was a test of faith, Abraham trusted that God would provide the lamb and He did. It's also symbolic of what God would do with Christ later on.

God ordered the Israelites(Jews) to kill the wicked inhabitants in order to give the Israelites(Jews) the land that He promised them. Sometimes wars are needed and killing is how they are won. That's just part of war. God also sent nations to attack Israel when they were not following his laws in order to get them to repent. I'm not sure I understand how this is confusing or problematic.

The story of Job is another great test of faith. Why would God put poor Job through all that He did? In the end Job was restored to even greater things than he had before his testing. It's an example of life not being fair, good things happen to bad people and bad things happen to good people. If we trust in God than eventually all things will work out...

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 12-03-2008 at 02:27 PM..

Old 12-03-2008, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
God ordered the Jews to kill the wicked inhabitants in order to give the Jews the land that He promised them...I'm not sure I understand how this is confusing or problematic.

Do we have the version of this same story from the 'wicked inhabitants?" You know...that whole three sides to every story and all.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:09 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,387,044 times
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee
God ordered the Jews to kill the wicked inhabitants in order to give the Jews the land that He promised them...I'm not sure I understand how this is confusing or problematic.

"Thou Shall Not Kill" .....Until god orders you to kill....Kind of flip floppy, ya know, like a politician...

Old 12-03-2008, 02:46 PM

558 posts, read 1,829,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post

"Thou Shall Not Kill" .....Until god orders you to kill....Kind of flip floppy, ya know, like a politician...
The word Kill in this Bible context means ratsach: to murder

A soldier in a war in NOT a murderer!!!!!

Kill has different meanings in the Bible, look them up sometime, the OT was originally written in Hebrew not English

Last edited by Lakeland Yankee; 12-03-2008 at 02:57 PM..

Old 12-03-2008, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post

Old 12-03-2008, 02:55 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,387,044 times

Yeah that is true in most cases, but often the Isrealites were ordered to kill just because god was pissed off. Not in any type of self defense or pre emptive strike. What if some nut today said "God told me to kill all the wicked people in L.A.!" God or Mental Illness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality