Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 PM

4,498 posts, read 6,314,046 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has probably already been asked and answered in this forum before. I couldn't find it in a quick search so I'll ask it anyway.

Jesus is identified as being of the line of David and the Bible gives us a long geneology line leading to him.What bothers me though is that this line comes through Joseph, Mary's husband. The obvious question is how can Jesus lay claim to the line of David when Joseph was not his father? Surely claiming that ancestry negates the virgin birth ,making a huge contradiction in the Bible.

Last edited by Lady Ice; 12-09-2008 at 10:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,325,405 times
This is an awsome question. I can't wait to see the answer to this one.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:38 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
you are so right.
you cant be immortal if you can prove your mortality.
hence the paradox. but for the purpose of fulfilling scripture he had to prove
lineage.
but isnt that something ----people that dont care nothin about jesus still get fired up about him late at night on the internet.he must be somebody special. the roman legion buried him in 1/2 hr flat and didn't think any more bout it 2000 years ago.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 12-09-2008 at 11:46 PM..

Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
I made a thread about this a couple weeks ago:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
If Jesus is a descendant of Abraham, then he is not of virgin birth. If he is of virgin birth, then he is not a descendant of Abraham.

Matthew 1:16-17
16 and Jacob the father of Joseph, the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ. 17 Thus there were fourteen generations in all from Abraham to David, fourteen from David to the exile to Babylon, and fourteen from the exile to the Christ.

Joseph is only the husband of Mary. If Joseph is Jesus' father, then Mary was not a virgin. If the holy spirit is Jesus' father, then Joseph is not, and the genealogy of Jesus as a descendant of Abraham is not accurate.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:40 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Ice View Post
I'm sure this has probably already been asked and answered in this forum before. I couldn't find it in a quick search so I'll ask it anyway.

Jesus is identified as being of the line of David and the Bible gives us a long geneology line leading to him.What bothers me though is that this line comes through Joseph, Mary's husband. The obvious question is how can Jesus lay claim to the line of David when Joseph was not his father? Surely claiming that ancestry negates the virgin birth ,making a huge contradiction in the Bible.
You need to analyze both genealogies mentioned by both Matthew and Luke. At Nathan, Luke begins reckoning the genealogy through Jesus' maternal line, while Matthew continues with the paternal line.

We can therefore conclude two biblical truths with regards to Jesus as the promised Messiah.

1) Jesus was actually the son of God, and the Natural heir to the Kingdom be miraculous birth through the virgin girl Mary.

2) Jesus was also the Legal heir in the male line of descent from King David and Solomon through his adoptive father Joseph.

It should also be noted that the Jews kept meticulous public records of all birth records over the centuries all the way up till the year 70, when Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans. Even chroniclers such as Ezra had public access to such records and no doubt used these secular references when compiling his list. Had there been some sort of fraud or question of the genealogical record, then Jesus own enemies the Saducees and the Pharisees would most surely have used these against Jesus, but none ever did because it was a matter of public record of which no one , not even they could dispute.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:46 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,468 times
Wasn't this because of a mistranslation in the prophesy? Young woman/virgin? Obviously the guy who made up Jesus back story had the same problem.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I made a thread about this a couple weeks ago:

Sorry, must have been before I found this site. I didn't look to hard in the search. This is just a question that I have asked for a long time. From non-believers you get a knowing laugh and from believers you get the old adopted line. What was the outcome of your thread?

Old 12-10-2008, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepacific View Post
You need to analyze both genealogies mentioned by both Matthew and Luke. At Nathan, Luke begins reckoning the genealogy through Jesus' maternal line, while Matthew continues with the paternal line.

We can therefore conclude two biblical truths with regards to Jesus as the promised Messiah.

1) Jesus was actually the son of God, and the Natural heir to the Kingdom be miraculous birth through the virgin girl Mary.

2) Jesus was also the Legal heir in the male line of descent from King David and Solomon through his adoptive father Joseph.

It should also be noted that the Jews kept meticulous public records of all birth records over the centuries all the way up till the year 70, when Jerusalem was destroyed by the Romans. Even chroniclers such as Ezra had public access to such records and no doubt used these secular references when compiling his list. Had there been some sort of fraud or question of the genealogical record, then Jesus own enemies the Saducees and the Pharisees would most surely have used these against Jesus, but none ever did because it was a matter of public record of which no one , not even they could dispute.

In my Bible Lukes' geneology is traced through Joseph as well, no mention of Mary that I can see. Maybe I'm looking at a different Bible.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:44 AM

1,186 posts, read 2,249,961 times
Allaah commanded Jibreel to blow through the neck of Maryam’s garment
and this breath went down and by the will of Allaah entered her womb
so it became a soul that Allaah had created

Allaah has explained how He created ‘Eesaa (peace be upon him), as He said (interpretation of the meaning):

“And she who guarded her chastity [Virgin Maryam (Mary)], We breathed into (the sleeves of) her (shirt or garment) [through Our Rooh — Jibreel (Gabriel)]” [al-Anbiya’ 21:91]

Then Allaah explains that the Rooh reached her womb, as Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):

“And Maryam (Mary), the daughter of ‘Imraan who guarded her chastity. And We breathed into (the sleeve of her shirt or her garment) through Our Rooh [i.e. Jibreel (Gabriel)]”. [al-Tahreem 66:12]

The aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“(The angel) said: ‘I am only a messenger from your Lord, (to announce) to you the gift of a righteous son’” [Maryam 19:19]

indicates that the one who blew into her was Jibreel, who does not do anything except by the command of Allaah.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:50 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
More to the point, why do we really need a Virgin Birth? After all, virgin births were not terribly uncommon back in the day. Augustus, Socrates, Zoraster, Archimedes, and a few Egyptian kings were all ascribed to have virgin births, before anybody had even heard of Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality