Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 05:58 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Are you saying that truth is hateful.
What was posted that is not truthful?

Don't like that point, counter-point stuff, eh?
Yes, truth can be hateful when tact is not used.
Its not an issue of truth - its an issue of proselytizing inappropriately and tactlessly. Atheists want to show the world they're better option than religion? Act like an adult, and stop trying to ruin other peoples holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 06:11 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Yes, truth can be hateful when tact is not used.
Its not an issue of truth - its an issue of proselytizing inappropriately and tactlessly. Atheists want to show the world they're better option than religion? Act like an adult, and stop trying to ruin other peoples holidays.
How is reading a different point of view on a sign going ruin anyone's holiday...Good grief some Christians have to be the worst snivelers and whiners on the face of the earth.
Christians should act like adults and stop their constant belly aching just because others have a different view of the way the world works.

It is only a sign for Pete's sake.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How is reading a different point of view on a sign going ruin anyone's holiday...Good grief some Christians have to be the worst snivelers and whiners on the face of the earth.
Christians should act like adults and stop their constant belly aching just because others have a different view of the way the world works.

It is only a sign for Pete's sake.

Read my previous post on why it's innapropriate, and keep in mind I'm not a Christian - I'm an Atheist. It's not merely a different point of view - does the nativity scene have a big sign that says "Atheists are all suffering from a delusion - science is wrong, so is secularism".
No - it doesn't say anything.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:23 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
When the President of the United States comments in an interview that he doesn't think Christians are patriotic and shouldn't even be considered a citizen, you can complain about hateful atheist.

When your money says "Don't be fooled, there is no god", instead of "In God we trust", then you can complain about the hateful atheist.

When the pledge of allegiance is changed to document that there is no god in control, you can complain about the hateful atheist.

Some Christians have become so intolerant that they mistake dissent for hatefulness.
By the logic of parts of this no minority faith/non-faith could be hateful and I don't think that makes any sense.

For some an atheist sign in general might be offensive, but I've heard atheists who thought the part about "Religion is but myth and superstition that hardens hearts and enslaves minds" was too confrontational. Can you think of anything else where saying "it hardens hearts and enslaves minds" is simply dissent. Surely that element is an attack, even if it's one you agree with, not simply a disagreement.

If the atheists had had a sign like

"Winter Solstice is the Reason for the Season. We reject the existence of God and maintain that the season is about a natural phenomenon. A time to enjoy making snowmen, staying warm with the ones you love, and being generous to the homeless who suffer in the cold. So from those of us who maintain Nature is all that exists to all of you out there, have a Sensational Solstice!"

Or a simpler

"Winter Solstice is the Reason for the Season. For those of you who don't believe in God know you're not alone this holiday. We don't believe either and we wish you a Happy Holiday."

Some might still feel offended by something like that, but they would have had less reason to do so and been on shakier ground.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:15 PM

33,541 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Read my previous post on why it's innapropriate, and keep in mind I'm not a Christian - I'm an Atheist. It's not merely a different point of view - does the nativity scene have a big sign that says "Atheists are all suffering from a delusion - science is wrong, so is secularism".
No - it doesn't say anything.
Sorry, I have no sympathy for people who are offended over such nonsense. I'm not offended over the signs put up by Christians, so why should Christians be offended what ever atheist message they see?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:36 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
How about the sign I saw on a church, "Know God, know peace. No god, no peace."

That is saying that an Atheist like me will never have peace during my life.

If I put up a sign "Know Jesus, no sense" I bet it would offend Christians.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Sorry, I have no sympathy for people who are offended over such nonsense. I'm not offended over the signs put up by Christians, so why should Christians be offended what ever atheist message they see?
Lol because the nativity scene isnt going out of its way to very vocally declare that all religion (not just Christianity) is for idiots. I dont care about "every atheist message" - this thread is about one specific incident, even though everyone keeps overgeneralizing using other exmples. Taken by itself, contextually, in a comparison - this particular message is petty and ridiculous.

Im not interested in all the posts that say "Christians do this and that" - they have no bearing. Is it that hard for people to discuss one thing without basing their arguments on extraneous data?

Old 10-29-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post

That is saying that an Atheist like me will never have peace during my life.

If I put up a sign "Know Jesus, no sense" I bet it would offend Christians.
Yeh, how about that sign?
Not really topical to th case at hand, but i realize some people must scramble to make their "side" look better - both atheists and christians.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:09 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
I think an issue was that this was in a public place. A sign like that at a public place would likely be inappropriate.

Although possibly none of these signs, of any religion or irreligion, should have been at a public place. Still if you want to represent the community's diverse beliefs in public it makes sense, to me at least, to not have any openly confrontational signs. No "Islam is Real, Your Faith isn't" or "Atheism is Pernicious" or whatever signs.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think an issue was that this was in a public place. A sign like that at a public place would likely be inappropriate.

Although possibly none of these signs, of any religion or irreligion, should have been at a public place. Still if you want to represent the community's diverse beliefs in public it makes sense, to me at least, to not have any openly confrontational signs. No "Islam is Real, Your Faith isn't" or "Atheism is Pernicious" or whatever signs.
Very well said - and I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality