Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:24 AM

321 posts, read 679,256 times

Advertisements

Not everyone buys into the idea that a great Exodus of humans marched out of Egypt under the leadership of the biblical character, Moses. They point to the grave lack of evidence such a thing happened and posit that what may have happened, was that there possibly could have been a relatively small migration(s) of Semites who left or escaped Egypt during a period of depression in that glorious land. The hard times may have been a result of unfortunate events caused by a series of natural disasters leading to scapegoating. The events, some believe, were then greatly embellished in later generations to add far more drama to the story than there really was. I will discuss this a little later.

One of the more curious details about the whole Exodus story is one hardly mentioned or discussed, but may in fact be the one detail that hints at what may have actually sparked the rapid rush out of Egypt and the subsequent pursuit of the Pharaoh after these Semites.

In the book of Exodus chapter 12 verses 35 and 36 we read:

Quote:
Now the children of Israel had done according to the word of Moses, and they had asked from the Egyptians articles of silver, articles of gold, and clothing. And the LORD had given the people favor in the sight of the Egyptians, so that they granted them what they requested. Thus they plundered the Egyptians.
This writer tells us that they did this in obedience to earlier instructions from Moses as [allegedly] predicted by God in Exodus 3:20-22 where it says:

Quote:
So I will stretch out My hand and strike Egypt with all My wonders which I will do in its midst; and after that he will let you go. And I will give this people favor in the sight of the Egyptians; and it shall be, when you go, that you shall not go empty-handed. But every woman shall ask of her neighbor, namely, of her who dwells near her house, articles of silver, articles of gold, and clothing; and you shall put them on your sons and on your daughters. So you shall plunder the Egyptians.”
This supposedly fulfills an earlier prophecy found in the book of Genesis chapter 15:13-14 where we read:

Quote:
Your descendants will be strangers in a land that is not theirs, and will serve them, and they will afflict them four hundred years. And also the nation whom they serve I will judge; afterward they shall come out with great possessions
The great plundering supposedly takes place on the very last night the Semites spend in Egypt which was also the night all of Egypt's first born children are killed by God. The story tells us that Pharaoh was so upset and disgusted, he hastened the Israelites to leave Egypt because it appeared as if their presence seemed to bring a curse upon Egypt. What happens next is somewhat odd.

We are told in Exodus chapter 14 that word reached Pharaoh that the Israelites had fled the land which, if we recall, was ordered by the same Pharaoh. Here he seems stunned that they actually left and it is even more surprising when you consider the large number of Israelites that left Egypt according to the Bible. If Exodus 14 is to be believed, it's as if the Pharaoh was completely oblivious to this.

As a result, Pharaoh has a change of heart and amasses an army to go after the Israelites to bring them back into slavery. That Pharaoh has a change of heart is puzzling considering he gave the order for them to leave because in a superstitious world, it was easy to believe that as long as the Israelites remained in the land, Egypt continued to suffer from one disaster after another while in the Israelite neighborhood in the Goshen area of Egypt, none of the plagues affected them. Why would he want to bring them back knowing the disaster their presence brought?

What some have suggested is, the 'mixed multitude' of Semites actually stole (plundered) Egyptian items on their migrations out of Egypt and what Pharaoh was actually doing, was going after them to take back what rightfully belonged to the Egyptians. The rest of the Exodus story, they say, is highly fabricated and/or embellished to clean it up a little in favor of the Israelites while simultaneously demonizing the Egyptians and their leader. It is also quite suspicious that the Egyptians would have been so sympathetic toward the Israelites and in such a giving mood when it was evident the Israelites were responsible for all the pain Egypt had suffered, topped by the deaths of all their firstborn.

Next: A question about the Exodus

Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 AM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,727 times
I also find it odd that every time Pharaoh decided not to let Moses' people go, it was because God "hardened Pharaoh's heart." First, so much for free will. Second, it was God's fault that Pharaoh wouldn't let the people go, seemingly so that God could punish Egypt with all the plagues. If God's so powerful as to create the earth, why does he play games?

Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 AM

There is yet another mystery surrounding this Exodus and this is one of the things that is never addressed. What happened to the glorious land of Egypt after the Israelites left the land? If the Biblical account is to be taken seriously word for word, then Egypt should have been left in extremely bad shape. The land should been completely devastated and rife with civil unrest from a broke population who supposedly gave away their possessions to a fleeing crowd. To top this off, all that alleged slave labor was gone in an instance and the Pharaoh and most of his army were supposedly wiped out. All of this surely would have weakened the world's greatest empire at the time, however, there is no historical account of Egypt falling into some great demise at this point.

The Exodus is supposed to be the great miracle but the greater miracle would have been Egypt's ability to stay completely intact and powerful despite all that the Bible says happened to that land and its people during this period.

Last edited by Condemned; 12-15-2008 at 08:26 AM..

Old 12-15-2008, 08:00 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,267 times
The Exodus Story, to me. is another parable, in a way. And the actual translation of the Exodus took a young Moses and his people across the "Sea of Reeds" (a swampy area), not the "Red Sea". Huge difference. Later translations turned it into the Red Sea, and the "miracle" that followed. Just one more glitch in the story.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
The Exodus Story, to me. is another parable, in a way. And the actual translation of the Exodus took a young Moses and his people across the "Sea of Reeds" (a swampy area), not the "Red Sea". Huge difference. Later translations turned it into the Red Sea, and the "miracle" that followed. Just one more glitch in the story.
I think you have a valid point there, esselcue.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicIsYourFriend View Post
I also find it odd that every time Pharaoh decided not to let Moses' people go, it was because God "hardened Pharaoh's heart." First, so much for free will. Second, it was God's fault that Pharaoh wouldn't let the people go, seemingly so that God could punish Egypt with all the plagues. If God's so powerful as to create the earth, why does he play games?

You got me.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esselcue View Post
And the actual translation of the Exodus took a young Moses and his people across the "Sea of Reeds" (a swampy area), not the "Red Sea". Huge difference. Later translations turned it into the Red Sea, and the "miracle" that followed. Just one more glitch in the story.
Actually, it's only been a glitch to people who read the incorrect translation! I believe that the "Sea of Reeds" refers to an area in the vicinity of the Nile Delta, where even today strong winds can give the appearance of the sea being pushed back. (Moses, brought up in the house of the Pharoah, would certainly have had a better knowledge of the local geography and conditions than the people he eventually led).

It appears, from an historical standpoint, that the Exodus did occur. But almost certainly, the actual events have been embellished--quite a bit--for the sake of a good story. (For instance, if you add up the numbers of the different tribes of Israel represented in the flight from Egypt, it comes to slightly more than half a million. There's no way that half a million slaves, or ex-slaves, could possibly have taken enough necessities for a journey of indeterminate length--both distance and time-wise).

There's quite a bit of actual history in the Bible. There's also quite a bit of embellishment, as well as just plain storytelling. But that shouldn't cast doubt on the historical events that did occur.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Actually, it's only been a glitch to people who read the incorrect translation! I believe that the "Sea of Reeds" refers to an area in the vicinity of the Nile Delta, where even today strong winds can give the appearance of the sea being pushed back. (Moses, brought up in the house of the Pharoah, would certainly have had a better knowledge of the local geography and conditions than the people he eventually led).

It appears, from an historical standpoint, that the Exodus did occur. But almost certainly, the actual events have been embellished--quite a bit--for the sake of a good story. (For instance, if you add up the numbers of the different tribes of Israel represented in the flight from Egypt, it comes to slightly more than half a million. There's no way that half a million slaves, or ex-slaves, could possibly have taken enough necessities for a journey of indeterminate length--both distance and time-wise).

There's quite a bit of actual history in the Bible. There's also quite a bit of embellishment, as well as just plain storytelling. But that shouldn't cast doubt on the historical events that did occur.
This is my stance also. I am sure there are some on these forums who might think that my questions are criticisms indicate I do not believe one item in the bible. My conclusion is that there are actual BASIC factual stories in the Bible but they were "flavored" with fabricated details to exaggerate Israel's role and significance as well as her god.

In other cases, some stories are just pure myth handed down from older cultures and then spun to incorporate Israel's god into them.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:55 AM

7,628 posts, read 10,967,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condemned View Post
This is my stance also. I am sure there are some on these forums who might think that my questions are criticisms indicate I do not believe one item in the bible. My conclusion is that there are actual BASIC factual stories in the Bible but they were "flavored" with fabricated details to exaggerate Israel's role and significance as well as her god.

In other cases, some stories are just pure myth handed down from older cultures and then spun to incorporate Israel's god into them.
Yeah, that's the same white wash story we hear all the time here. Of course the news rooms or National Geographic never state that over in the Middle East is a spot by the Red Sea that is marked by two giant red granit colums with the words chisled in them. Mizraim(Egypt), Solomon, Death, Pharaoh, Moses, Yahweh. And between those two colums divers have found countless coral incrusted horse, and human bones, and chariot parts. Yeah, some would have us believe those stories are just pure myths.

Red Sea Crossing

Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Yeah, that's the same white wash story we hear all the time here. Of course the news rooms or National Geographic never state that over in the Middle East is a spot by the Red Sea that is marked by two giant red granit colums with the words chisled in them. Mizraim(Egypt), Solomon, Death, Pharaoh, Moses, Yahweh. And between those two colums divers have found countless coral incrusted horse, and human bones, and chariot parts. Yeah, some would have us believe those stories are just pure myths.

Red Sea Crossing
Good morning Campbell. I have seen you promote that site and man before and I admit I used to get a little excited about his claims some time back. Later on I found out that his claims are hotly disputed by fellow Christians, archaeologists and even those within his own church. It was just a little too convenient that he claimed to have found the most illusive of all things biblical. He claimed to have found Noah's Ark, the Ark of Covenant and in this case, evidence of Pharaoh's drowned army to support the bible's version of the Exodus. His claims are as suspect as those "experts" who seems to find Atlantis every other year. Sorry if I frown on his evidence.

Do you have any comments/explanation on the third post in this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.