Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worse: Atheism or Homosexuality?
Atheism 6 6.25%
Homosexuality 2 2.08%
Both are equally bad 10 10.42%
Neither is bad 78 81.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 10:39 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
I just don't understand the idea of going out of your way and getting all worked up over expressing that you don't believe.

I don't drink beer, but you don't see me hitting internet message boards to whine about those that do.
Says the guy who started this thread and doesn't believe in atheists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 10:43 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
I just don't understand the idea of going out of your way and getting all worked up over expressing that you don't believe.

I don't drink beer, but you don't see me hitting internet message boards to whine about those that do.
No, you just whine about people who think differently than you do.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:51 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,065,418 times
1. I'm not whining.

2. I don't care if you believe differently. But I do find it sad when non-believers get worked up over stupid, trivial things.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:56 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,187,728 times
According to my belief, atheism is far worse than homosexuality or any other sin.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:59 AM

520 posts, read 895,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
According to my belief, atheism is far worse than homosexuality or any other sin.
Why?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:26 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
1. I'm not whining.

2. I don't care if you believe differently. But I do find it sad when non-believers get worked up over stupid, trivial things.
What stupid trivial things?

Old 12-16-2008, 11:49 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,167,284 times
Quote:
1. I'm not whining.

You really don't care if i believe different then you? The why did you ask?
And what exactly are we getting worked up about?

Old 12-16-2008, 04:29 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b. frank View Post
By the time you are in college it is presumed that you have a somewhat developed mind. What you learn in the classes that you take is not "indoctrination" - at that level it has turned a corner and entered into the realm of "education". If you don't like the education (as you obviously don't) then you are perfectly free to reject everything you learned in the class (as you have done). College is for developing the mind - what you do with your developed mind is 100% up to you. To call a college education "indoctrination" presumes a rather dull intellect on the part of the student.
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
I've taken a philosophy class as well, it wasn't so much as disproving god, but showing that the arguments that prove the existence of god, soul, meaning of life don't really hold up all that well after all. Philosophy classes in college, espically introductory ones, introduce students to entirely different kind of thinking. Philosophically speaking its near impossible to prove that any thing exists.

Also in the class that i took most of the christians dropped out after the first day. My professor was a self professed christian, but that in no way hinderd him from teaching us philosophical rhetoric.

You say that it was this class that made you loose your faith, well how sound is your faith if a different style of thinking makes you doubt it?
Well most college students are REQUIRED to take anti-religion classes like philosophy as part of their degree plan, even if that subject has nothing to do with the degree they are seeking. By forcing these students to take these classes, its indoctrination, or forcing the "religion" of atheism on them. Objectively its really not much different than if Bible classes were required.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:45 PM

746 posts, read 2,175,329 times
Quote:
the neo-atheist crowd has gotten more and more vocal the last few years.

it used to be that someone would just waive you off, saying "no thanks, I'm not religious"....now you've got atheists prosletyzing by buying signs on city buses and billboards...or attacking religion on internet message boards.
Atheists are sick of having religion shoved down our throats everywhere we turn. You see religious messages on billboards, handed out in unwanted pamphlets, in mailings, and door to door preaching. We're sick of it and I am glad to see that some of us are speaking out. I, for one would love to go to a public school concert and NOT hear a song with a religious slant.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Well most college students are REQUIRED to take anti-religion classes like philosophy as part of their degree plan, even if that subject has nothing to do with the degree they are seeking. By forcing these students to take these classes, its indoctrination, or forcing the "religion" of atheism on them. Objectively its really not much different than if Bible classes were required.
Philosophy is most definitely not an anti-religion class. The atheists are also challenged on their world-views to see if they can defend them. It gets you thinking about them and allows you to refine them becoming an even more eloquent christian or atheist or jew or whatever.

Also, do you have any sources for the "being required to take philosophy" comment? Looking at the timetables for the autum and summer semester, the only 2 mayor non-philosophy courses that(optionally) have philosophy in them are history and theology. These optional modules are always related(ie for my maths course I do programming).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality