Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is worse: Atheism or Homosexuality?
Atheism 6 6.25%
Homosexuality 2 2.08%
Both are equally bad 10 10.42%
Neither is bad 78 81.25%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 11:17 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
Any sin is bad, If you continue in a lifestyle of sin, despite knowing that it's against God's commandments...I don't know how that person can call themselves a Christian.
Oh wow, does this mean that just believeing yourself to be a christer is not enough? Is there an initiation?, a secret handshake? Well, so much for that old adage of lost sheep returning to the fold, particularly if this guy is the judge of who REALLY believes or is just one of those fakin' it. Is it possible to tell, by autopsy perhaps if one of the christers really has "Geesus" in his heart? And..... how long do you have to continue with this "lifestyle of sin" thingy to be disqualified for christer benefits? Suppose you are like me in some respects, I'm married, I don't cheat on my wife, I don't gamble, or gambol, don't drink or do drugs, hell, I even obey the speed limit + or - a few miles an hour. I don't kick my dogs or pass out exlax as candy for halloween. I'm just a run of the mill, good natured Atheist who hasn't had my sense of humor surgically removed as I have always suspected was a neccessity for being a christer. That's OK, by and large, I find the company of christers boring, but, I suppose my sphincter would also pucker up if I had to drudge my way through those weekly sermons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,661,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkpower View Post
If any thing the interaction i have with religion now are very similar to the ones i had in high school or middle school; its still being pushed on me whether or not i want to hear it.
Oy. I'm sorry you're having to deal with that. I don't know if you're at a small school, but there can be just as much pressure to conform at a small school as there is in high school (sometimes even more pressure, depending on the college).

Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 PM

33,527 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Hummmmmmm, you say that like "being screwed" is a bad thing!
Depends on the context...

Old 12-15-2008, 11:23 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,890 times
I'm just going to answer the OP's question. Neither can be worse, because there is nothing wrong with either of those two.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:41 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,938,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
We have free will before death, but not after.
Thus heaven is actually worse than hell.

Regarding the jealous god, that is one of the reason I'm a nihilist. Even if you could show that your particular god was real, I feel no obligation to worship it.

Quote:
Our colleges and universities today are indoctrinating our young people to not believe. I heard on the radio that 75% of children born after 1980 raised in Christian homes become atheist within one year after going off to a secular college. Plus, in a secular college environment you are looked on as ignorant, backwards, and anti-intellectual if you beleve in God. It wasn't always this way.
I'm actually surrounded by religion here in uni. There is a freakishly huge Anglican cathedral behind my on campus house, down the east there is a prayer tent for any muslim who wants to use it. A meditation chapel further down that's mainly used by the Krishna consciouness society. To the west we have the meeting place for the catholic society and some of the offices in front of my house are part of the multi-faith councelors.

I think you should realize that although atheism and a higher education are related, it is a BS claim to say it's because of indoctrination or peer pressure. If you are a protestant then you can join the protestant society and surround yourself with other protestants or if your uni doesn't have one then you can set up your own. My uni has 12,600 students so I doubt it would be hard to find any and I doubt even more that they would pressure you into becoming an atheist.

Would the proffesors pressure you? No, in fact how are you supposed to even know what religion a lecturer is unless you are doing philosophy or theology?

But of course, it's like a uni student would know what does go on at uni. You've heard rumours and annecdote that conform to your fears so I think you will keep spreading this conspiracy theory.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:46 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,169,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I think you should realize that although atheism and a higher education are related, it is a BS claim to say it's because of indoctrination or peer pressure. If you are a protestant then you can join the protestant society and surround yourself with other protestants or if your uni doesn't have one then you can set up your own. My uni has 12,600 students so I doubt it would be hard to find any and I doubt even more that they would pressure you into becoming an atheist.

Would the proffesors pressure you? No, in fact how are you supposed to even know what religion a lecturer is unless you are doing philosophy or theology?

But of course, it's like a uni student would know what does go on at uni. You've heard rumours and annecdote that conform to your fears so I think you will keep spreading this conspiracy theory.
Agreed. Also, I'd be willing to bet that American universities have way more religious societies than the ones in the UK.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:56 AM

4,655 posts, read 5,066,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Oh wow, does this mean that just believeing yourself to be a christer is not enough? Is there an initiation?, a secret handshake? Well, so much for that old adage of lost sheep returning to the fold, particularly if this guy is the judge of who REALLY believes or is just one of those fakin' it. Is it possible to tell, by autopsy perhaps if one of the christers really has "Geesus" in his heart? And..... how long do you have to continue with this "lifestyle of sin" thingy to be disqualified for christer benefits? Suppose you are like me in some respects, I'm married, I don't cheat on my wife, I don't gamble, or gambol, don't drink or do drugs, hell, I even obey the speed limit + or - a few miles an hour. I don't kick my dogs or pass out exlax as candy for halloween. I'm just a run of the mill, good natured Atheist who hasn't had my sense of humor surgically removed as I have always suspected was a neccessity for being a christer. That's OK, by and large, I find the company of christers boring, but, I suppose my sphincter would also pucker up if I had to drudge my way through those weekly sermons.

It's not about a one time magical prayer. But if you have true faith your life will reflect it. My point is that if your faith is true, your actions will show it.

You can still have fun if you're a Christian....we're not all dry, boring folks. But if you have a true faith, you probably will want to learn more about God. I don't know what sermons you're referring to or what church you're used to, but I find the sermons my pastor preaches to be quite interesting.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:15 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,110 times
Is there anything worse than a homosexual athiest?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:20 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,246,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post

I took philosophy in college and the entire class was on disproving the existence of God. If thats not indoctrination, I don't know what is. During that class was when I lost my faith. In addition, every one of my Christian friends became atheist during college for the same reason. It may be different from school to school or even from professor to professor, but there are many schools that do rabidly push atheism.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:31 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,125,817 times
Quote:
I took philosophy in college and the entire class was on disproving the existence of God. If thats not indoctrination, I don't know what is. During that class was when I lost my faith. In addition, every one of my Christian friends became atheist during college for the same reason. It may be different from school to school or even from professor to professor, but there are many schools that do rabidly push atheism.
Kinda holding on to a double standard there bchris...If I tell you that teaching you children about the bible and Christianity is indoctrinating them you would probably deny it. People everywhere "push" their religion on others. Hell they even come knocking on my door....Have you ever had an atheist preach at your door? Have you seen atheism preached on tv or the radio....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality